05/29/14, 04:24 PM   #1
firstmagic

No way to detect ability changes?

I've scoured through the different events we can register for, looked through the API, did some trial and error (ah, so that's what 'power' means for EVENT_POWER_UPDATE, etc) but it doesn't look like there's a way to determine, through an event callback or otherwise, when an ability has changed.

As a Sorc, the first power in the Dark Magic set of class powers can be morphed with the following attribute:
"35% chance to make your next use an instant cast and cost 50% less ..."
Unfortunately, there's no existent UI hint when this happens. I was hoping there'd be some kind of event to trigger off of, or even a 'slow' poll (ick) when the ability is used to check the ability's 'stats' and see if they've changed ... but it doesn't look like there's any mechanism for this.

Am I missing something, or are we SOL on this?

Thanks!
05/29/14, 06:07 PM   #2
lyravega
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Nah, Atropos (FTC) for example does a lot of shenanigans to track it...
05/30/14, 02:56 AM   #3
Iyanga
EVENT_ABILITY_PROGRESSION_RANK_UPDATE does not fire?
05/30/14, 10:17 AM   #4
stjobe

Originally Posted by firstmagic View Post
I've scoured through the different events we can register for, looked through the API, did some trial and error (ah, so that's what 'power' means for EVENT_POWER_UPDATE, etc) but it doesn't look like there's a way to determine, through an event callback or otherwise, when an ability has changed.

As a Sorc, the first power in the Dark Magic set of class powers can be morphed with the following attribute:
"35% chance to make your next use an instant cast and cost 50% less ..."
Unfortunately, there's no existent UI hint when this happens. I was hoping there'd be some kind of event to trigger off of, or even a 'slow' poll (ick) when the ability is used to check the ability's 'stats' and see if they've changed ... but it doesn't look like there's any mechanism for this.

Am I missing something, or are we SOL on this?

Thanks!
SOL, I'm afraid.

I have to jump through all kinds of hoops to track the things I do in SorcererHelper, in this specific instance I (and I think FTC and the other addons that track Crystal Fragments as well) continuously poll the casting cost of Crystal Fragments; if it's half of what it usually is, that's a proc.

And don't get me started on Lightning Form or Surge; I ended up having to check the EVENT_UNIT_ATTRIBUTE_VISUAL_ADDED event for those - that was the only way I found to tell if they've been successfully cast...

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » No way to detect ability changes?