06/29/16, 05:31 PM   #1
Queen Dovikin
first time trying to make an addon

I'm new to coding for the most part I do know some stuff, but what are the basic programs and items I would need to start making an addon?
edit. also if missed an obvious post can you point me to it sorry.
06/29/16, 05:43 PM   #2
Dolgubon

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
First thing you'll need to do is learn Lua. If you haven't done any programming before, you might want to search for a general how to program tutorial, otherwise, just search for a lua tutorial on google. Once you've done that, there's some tutorials on addons at wiki.esoui.com.
06/29/16, 06:56 PM   #3
Sasky
Lua isn't compiled, so it's really whatever you want (even Notepad). I'd recommend something with syntax highlighting, especially if you're new.

Personally, I use IntelliJ Idea (free community version works) with the Lua plugin. It gives you a fair amount of analysis, plus makes it easier if you want to use version control.

Check the ESOUI wiki for tutorials and guides. There are several guides both for getting started and for particular features.
06/29/16, 07:06 PM   #4
Ayantir

notepad++ as editor

then start to look at how a little addon is done.

I could recommand few of mine per exemple, like TheRollingTelVarStones . it's not very long or complicated and a good start. you have events, libraries and hooks inside it.

+ the wiki, other things.. if you need dev tools, look on the dev sections, there is few ones, i also made a little compilation of few ones, zgoo (data analizer) is interesting to have. or others which does same things.

ps: try to create something new, there is already tons of addons redoundants.

Last edited by Ayantir : 06/29/16 at 07:09 PM.
06/30/16, 02:13 AM   #5
sirinsidiator

Read this Getting Started guide on the wiki. It should answer most questions on how to get into addon development.
07/09/16, 11:16 AM   #6
Lagencie
I am at the same point as you are, but i had some lua lessons in work and i am getting started to do it on a daily bases

But for ESO Addon Programming this litlte addon helps really much http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info934-HelloWorld.html

its more or less - the basic for eso programming in every detail - with very good commentations.

also for the very basics this addon here helps understanding it a little http://wiki.esoui.com/Writing_your_first_addon

Also this Library is used in most addons for a basic handling of the Settings: http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info7-LibAddonMenu.html

Last edited by Lagencie : 07/09/16 at 11:29 AM.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » first time trying to make an addon