02/19/14, 05:45 AM   #1
ablueman
Diminishing returns on Regen Cap

hi,

Does anyone know how the diminishing returns on softcapped regen works?

i.e. if you hit the cap, and keep pumping it, is it -50% or -50 then -75 etc.
If you really are going regen mad, will there be a point where you get nothing from it.
02/19/14, 09:00 AM   #2
Callsign
Originally Posted by ablueman View Post
hi,

Does anyone know how the diminishing returns on softcapped regen works?

i.e. if you hit the cap, and keep pumping it, is it -50% or -50 then -75 etc.
If you really are going regen mad, will there be a point where you get nothing from it.
Someone in the max level beta commented yesterday on Reddit about this. He stated that regen soft caps come very quick and that going too much further into the soft cap will net you almost no return. No hard cap has been reached, but the benefit becomes quite bad.
02/19/14, 11:27 AM   #3
Holylifton

The good news is that you can actually see in your character sheet whether you've hit a soft cap in any catagory. The catagory turns a brownish orange. I love this feature.
02/19/14, 11:33 AM   #4
ablueman
Originally Posted by Callsign View Post
Someone in the max level beta commented yesterday on Reddit about this. He stated that regen soft caps come very quick and that going too much further into the soft cap will net you almost no return. No hard cap has been reached, but the benefit becomes quite bad.
Mmm, will test it soon as we can get on either in the next beta or live. My sorc had hit the cap, (thats right i saw it in my char sheet) I may be able to figure it out with a bit of adding and removing of gear.

I just hadn't really paid much attention to what it was like adding after you hit cap. Be a shame if you got nothing for it.
02/19/14, 12:15 PM   #5
Callsign
Mmm, will test it soon as we can get on either in the next beta or live. My sorc had hit the cap, (thats right i saw it in my char sheet) I may be able to figure it out with a bit of adding and removing of gear.

I just hadn't really paid much attention to what it was like adding after you hit cap. Be a shame if you got nothing for it.
You won't get absolutely nothing from it. It will likely still be the most beneficial to go down that stat path anyways. It is the way they are balancing the game. If the soft caps on every stat are super low, then a player, no matter their playstyle, will get all of the stats to the soft cap and then go after the stat that will best help their spec.

The goal is to get every player on a similar playing field with minor differences in stats that really don't mean anything in the long run or across the realm of possibilities. An example would be if a Magicka user puts 50 points in Magicka and a Stamina user puts 50 points in Stamina. Both hit their soft caps long ago and both are only benefiting from a fraction of those resources, however, getting a few points of increased stats are better than nothing, but not overpowered, so they don't have to buff/nerf anything.
02/20/14, 07:54 AM   #6
ablueman
Originally Posted by Callsign View Post
You won't get absolutely nothing from it. It will likely still be the most beneficial to go down that stat path anyways. It is the way they are balancing the game. If the soft caps on every stat are super low, then a player, no matter their playstyle, will get all of the stats to the soft cap and then go after the stat that will best help their spec.

The goal is to get every player on a similar playing field with minor differences in stats that really don't mean anything in the long run or across the realm of possibilities. An example would be if a Magicka user puts 50 points in Magicka and a Stamina user puts 50 points in Stamina. Both hit their soft caps long ago and both are only benefiting from a fraction of those resources, however, getting a few points of increased stats are better than nothing, but not overpowered, so they don't have to buff/nerf anything.
hmm just found this which is interesting : http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/stats-overcharging/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssob9XP4dUc#t=480
02/20/14, 09:31 AM   #7
Callsign
That's the guy I have been reading about. He has done a ton of theorycrafting in the full beta and says that health, stamina, and magicka all hit soft caps quite quickly while the second section of stats in the video (crit, resistances, etc.) either have super high soft caps or have none. In the video, he did not have the soft cap in heath, but he posted a picture that it will get overcharged in the 2500-3000 health range.

The problem that the game presents is that it is easy to get all three attributes capped quite quickly, but currently, only offer those three attributes on enchants for armor pieces while the more desirable stats are on jewelry and accessories.

I believe he is correct on saying that we may need to mix and match our armor types in order the get the most benefit from all of our stats, on top of getting skills that compliment gear (i.e. the Magelight ability he showed off which does not have a cap.) opposed to a skill that buffs health, stamina, or magicka in any way, as it would only contribute to the problem.

I am going to have to look over my builds again, as I know I have some health/stamina/magicka increases/buffs that may not be necessary.

ESOUI » General Discussion » Class Discussions » Diminishing returns on Regen Cap