11/30/14, 05:43 PM   #1
Leah Ann
moving addon from one computer to another

Hi!

First, thank you for reading this, and if you choose to help, thank you for your help!

I have an addon that seems to be discontinued but still works. I would like to know how to move it to my new computer. Actually, is it possible to move all of them in one slick move? It would save me the trouble of downloading and installing them all again.

Thank you!!
Leah
11/30/14, 06:47 PM   #2
Balver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hi
If you're using Windows your addons are stored in this folder: C:\Users\"Name"\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live*\AddOns

You can copy the whole thing to the new computer.

If you also want to save your addon settings, they are in this folder: C:\Users\"Name"\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live*\SavedVariables

* \live\ for the US server, \liveeu\ for the EU server, \pts\ for the testserver
12/01/14, 08:06 PM   #3
Sasky
Or if you want to get into a really crazy setup...

1) Get and install Google Drive, Dropbox, or some other cloud software that has a computer client.
2) Move the addons folder (as Balver listed) into the sync'd folder from the cloud software.
3) Get Link Shell Extension (or use command prompt in next step)
4) Setup a junction link in the old addon location pointing to the folder in the cloud sync folder.
5) Repeat 1, 3, 4 on other computer(s). (No need for 2 since the folder should be there from sync. You could merge if needed)

Now whenever your addons (or saved variables) change it's sync'd to the cloud and back to your other computer.
12/01/14, 08:13 PM   #4
Randactyl
+1 for Link Shell Extension. That's what I have going on.

You can even use this to move games around to different storage devices! Check my tutorial here on how to install the ESO PTS on a separate drive from your live client: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com...omment_1352618
12/01/14, 08:24 PM   #5
Sasky
Yep, I have all video and PTS on HDD, with the dat folder on my SDD.

The fun one is for my addons that use LAM. I have stand-alone LAM installed and symlink the lib folder into each addon that needs it. So whenever LAM updates, pull it down with Minion and all the addons that use it are looking at the new version already. Git commit and push, then make zip on website.
12/06/14, 11:16 AM   #6
Leah Ann
~Thank you!~

Thank you to all who replied. Now I know what to do!
03/08/16, 01:02 PM   #7
ZoLatKam

Originally Posted by Sasky View Post
1) Get and install Google Drive, Dropbox, or some other cloud software that has a computer client.
2) Move the addons folder (as Balver listed) into the sync'd folder from the cloud software.
3) Get Link Shell Extension (or use command prompt in next step)
4) Setup a junction link in the old addon location pointing to the folder in the cloud sync folder.
5) Repeat 1, 3, 4 on other computer(s). (No need for 2 since the folder should be there from sync. You could merge if needed)

Now whenever your addons (or saved variables) change it's sync'd to the cloud and back to your other computer.
This is a phenomenal idea!

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to work exactly as specified above for W10 Pro 64bit {for me, at least}. I've tried using both Dropbox & Google Drive, as well as, using different types of links {junctions, smart copy, hardlinks, etc} & every time I try to link the 2nd computer's addon folder to the already created Dropbox/Google folder, it just creates a new folder & links to that one.

So, while I can't figure out {yes I looked at all of the Link Shell Extension documentation} how to make it work as described above, it does work wonderfully for at least keeping 2 junctioned folders on Dropbox that I can easily copy/paste between.

Kudos to Sasky for providing the link!!
03/08/16, 06:53 PM   #8
Randactyl
Originally Posted by ZoLatKam View Post
This is a phenomenal idea!

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to work exactly as specified above for W10 Pro 64bit {for me, at least}. I've tried using both Dropbox & Google Drive, as well as, using different types of links {junctions, smart copy, hardlinks, etc} & every time I try to link the 2nd computer's addon folder to the already created Dropbox/Google folder, it just creates a new folder & links to that one.

So, while I can't figure out {yes I looked at all of the Link Shell Extension documentation} how to make it work as described above, it does work wonderfully for at least keeping 2 junctioned folders on Dropbox that I can easily copy/paste between.

Kudos to Sasky for providing the link!!
I accomplish it with symbolic links.
  1. cut and paste your current addons folder from your main system to Dropbox/OneDrive
  2. right click addons folder in Dropbox/OneDrive, select "Pick Link Source"
  3. right click in empty space in "Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live/" and select "Drop As -> Symbolic Link"
  4. accept the UAC prompt
  5. done

repeat from step 2 on any other machine. Also make sure your dropped symlink is named correctly (should be Addons)
03/08/16, 08:48 PM   #9
ZoLatKam

Originally Posted by Randactyl View Post
I accomplish it with symbolic links.
  1. cut and paste your current addons folder from your main system to Dropbox/OneDrive
  2. right click addons folder in Dropbox/OneDrive, select "Pick Link Source"
  3. right click in empty space in "Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live/" and select "Drop As -> Symbolic Link"
  4. accept the UAC prompt
  5. done

repeat from step 2 on any other machine. Also make sure your dropped symlink is named correctly (should be Addons)
Frell me! <Zo shakes his head realizing he should've thought of this>

I never even considered reversing the process I was trying to get to work! lol

I will definitely try that tomorrow when I have my laptop set up.

Many thanks for the suggestion, Randactyl!

EDIT{03.09.16 @ 13:28}:

\o/ Success!!

Randactyl, I greatly appreciate you pointing out my mistake!

Kudos to you & many thanks {again}!!!

Last edited by ZoLatKam : 03/09/16 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Update
03/09/16, 04:50 AM   #10
Torhal
Premium Member
Premium Member
Originally Posted by ZoLatKam View Post
Frell me!
Offtopic: This reminded me of a bumper sticker I saw on a junker a few years back.

My other car is a Peacekeeper/Leviathan hybrid.
03/09/16, 01:24 PM   #11
ZoLatKam

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
Offtopic: This reminded me of a bumper sticker I saw on a junker a few years back.
Ha ha! Nice!

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » moving addon from one computer to another