07/06/14, 03:27 PM   #1
zgrssd
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Addons, the .txt issues or "now you see it, now you don't"

As long as the game had been out, the following rule applied to .txt files that are not manifests:
If a .txt file lies next to a valid manifest (in the same folder as it) the game will erronously treat it as another manifest/addon.

We are required to add a readme.txt to our addons, but due to this bug we have been using just "readme (no file extension) or other filetypes instead.
For a time I thought it had been fixed (there was a download after the 1.2.4 patch had already went live on both servers and it seemed as if my NA client was ignoring my readme.txt). But that did not work out.

But now it seems one addon is not running into that issue:
"CombatLogStatistics" has a file named "VERSION 1.11.txt" right next to it's manifest that seems to be ignored by the Addon system. At least no "VERSION 1.11" addon appears in my list. Could somebody verify that?
I have some theories why this one is except:
The extra .dot is confusing the filetype detection. It propably looks for the first instead of the last one (as is correct). So it thinks the filetype is .11.txt or mabye .11. (when it just looks for 3 characters after the dot).
It could also be that the space is confusing it? By default addons are not allowed to contain spaces in thier Folder/Manifest Name (propably to not confuse the DependsOn checks as they are space seperated).
Maybe a combination of both?
07/06/14, 03:48 PM   #2
farangkao

I noticed too that Reamde.txt Files have shown up as seperate Addons, who do nothing

So either name them Readme.md, Readme.rtf (make it an RTF file first)

If the extra "." works ,that would also be a valid way.
07/06/14, 09:15 PM   #3
fosley
Empty files will not show up in the addons list, but files with text will. So the empty "VERSION 1.11.txt" file doesn't show up, but doesn't contain any useful information.

The following filenames all show up in my addons list:
Test1.txt
Test 2.txt
Test3.tx.txt
Test 4.rft.txt
Test 5 of Dooooooooooooooooom. this isnt a file extension..txt
07/07/14, 06:38 PM   #4
meaghs
Don't use a Text file extension and the problem is solved. I put the disclaimer as a comment in the header of my lua file and also in a separate text file that serves as a version tracker. In my addon the text file is named: v.3.README (extension README not txt).

This meets the requirement as the language of the new TOS seems to leave some leeway as to the format of the Readme ("must include the following disclosure in a Readme or similar .txt file"). - M.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Addons, the .txt issues or "now you see it, now you don't"