11/04/20, 12:22 AM   #1
Anceane

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
is there a way to track a saving settings problem ?

Is there a way to discover why and how the game refused to save the settings of any of my addons on my second account ?

After 9 hours of trying i finally manage to do it but i have no idea why either.

I would be releived if there was a way to find out why i had such a problem to avoid another day like that :P

-----

And i am not even sur that tomorrow when i will log in, i will find the UI still save.

(i know i had a huge freeze in the game today, and i had to close brutally the computer. After that i did a repair of the game

Could that be the problem ?

THank you
11/04/20, 06:09 AM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
A crash of the client might not save the internal SV data to the files on your disk, yes.
But if you did a reloadui in between it should have saved the settings until there already.
Except if the crash was at logout where it tried to save the files again and then the files were opened and damaged.
You need to check the contents of the live/SavedVariables/addonname.lua files for more details what was saved and what is written inside, tosee more.

But there is no tracker or possibility to see it ingame or somewhere else, only in these files "is the truth" what was written.
You'll find the data most of the times in a table structure like

Code:
["Default or some other String, or the Server name e.g. EU Megaserver"] = { --1
   ["@AccountName"] = { --2
      ["Settings or some other table name"] = { --3
            ["Data table of the addon"] = { --4
            }, --4
            NumberVariableNameOfTheAddon = 12,
            BooleanVAriableOfTheAddon = true,
      }, --3
   }, --2
} --1
Each { creates a table and there must be a closing } again.
I tried to show you the opening and closing brackets by help of insets here in my explanation, and the relating numbers behind the {}.

The problem now would be to check which NumberVariableNameOfTheAddon relates to which ingame setting in the settings menu.
This cannot be easily found out, if the NumberVariableNameOfTheAddon is not using any "speaking name, related to that setting".
11/04/20, 08:29 AM   #3
Sharlikran

I am sorry I can not offer detailed instructions and graphics for clarity. The game has been patched and after every patch the exe is considered different to all malware and virus programs including built in programs from Microsoft like windows defender. You will need to set exceptions for the game so the programs protecting your PC do not prevent eso from performing its actions. Even in the few guilds I am in the one person had the entire saved vars folder marked as read only but sometimes just some files in the folder were marked read only for others. Since games save things to the my documents and the my documents is so protected by windows you need to ensure eso has full permissions and access or you may experience unexplained issues that other users like myself won't be experiencing.

Last edited by Sharlikran : 11/04/20 at 08:34 AM.
11/04/20, 12:25 PM   #4
Anceane

First thank you both for answering me

Then i totally understand what you said. I spend 9 hours on it and it seems resolved for good as this morning i could log and get both accounts fully correct for their UI.

What was strange is that yesterday 1 account was always perfect while the other was *bugged* though both accounts were resetted by my crash.

And then the accounts that would not save were :
LUI extended
Votan Minimap
Pchat
FCQMT

i uninstalled temporarily ESO Master recipe as this addon was doing a reloadui systematic at each login on game, thinking probably wrongly that it could reset the other addons as the reloadui was done 1sec after i dropped into the game (i know haha parano can exist even for addons lol)

For LUI it seems that some reloadui does not work well as some settings were well save and some not aka the group section.

For Pchat, the problem i encountered is that after i change the police character and the reloadui attached to it was activated, some of the settings i choose after that were *saved* but if i had to open the settings once more, then all was lost again, as if opening the settings bring all settings to basic again included the police character.

For votan minimap, all was saved BUT the size and place. I ended by opening the savedvariable and copy past on the account with problem all the good info from the other account.

and for FCQMT, same, if i do not complete all the settings i want on one shot, and i have to open the settings again, then all reset.

But finally all is good this morning.

Though before loading this morning i went to check as you recommanded that my antivirus was not blocking the game. I had the launcher in the exception for it but NOT (grrrrr) the eso64.exe which should have been. So i corrected all and went to log in : all was good.

I made a save of my folders again. I wish this could have help me yesterday, but even the save would not load correction on the *crashed acccount*.

THank you both again, much appreciated.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » is there a way to track a saving settings problem ?