07/23/22, 06:01 PM   #1
trollusk
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
How to get the type of a location?

I'm making an addon that adds pins for certain town services to the compass. These are "Locations" in the API.

Currently I'm figuring out what type each location is by taking the icon filename using GetMapLocationIcon(n), then parsing it to get the filename, then comparing that with the icons for the location types I'm interested in (e.g. if filename == "servicepin_stable.dds")

Is there a better way to get the Location type?
07/23/22, 11:53 PM   #2
Masteroshi430

Originally Posted by trollusk View Post
I'm making an addon that adds pins for certain town services to the compass. These are "Locations" in the API.

Currently I'm figuring out what type each location is by taking the icon filename using GetMapLocationIcon(n), then parsing it to get the filename, then comparing that with the icons for the location types I'm interested in (e.g. if filename == "servicepin_stable.dds")

Is there a better way to get the Location type?
pin.m_PinType gives you the map display pin type. m_PinType == MAP_PIN_TYPE_LOCATION
Search for "h5. MapDisplayPinType" in the docs to get the full list :
https://github.com/esoui/esoui/blob/...umentation.txt

EDIT:
sorry, I wasn't fully awake and misread the question, personally I use texture file name too to identify them.

Last edited by Masteroshi430 : 07/24/22 at 12:00 AM.
07/24/22, 06:37 AM   #3
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Afaik there is no "location type" ID or similar identifier.
The texture names currently seem to be the best way to find the locaiton type, because they do not need any "translation" (multi language support) like names of locations or contents of the location pin names would need (if the pin name even would provide that info, like a crafting station must not contain any "crafting" text or similar).

Maybe have a look at Votan's addon here where he changed some of the colors of the location pins:
https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info...PinColors.html
Votan is quite experienced with maps and pins so perhaps he shows you another way here.
-> If you spy or reuse code please give credit

Last edited by Baertram : 07/24/22 at 09:58 AM.
07/24/22, 06:54 AM   #4
votan

Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Votan is qutie experienced with maps and pins so perhaps he shows you another way here.
Thanks Beartram. Your word in God's ear
I have not found any other way, but using the texture path as an language-invariant identifier.
So, you are right. I would use the texture path.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » How to get the type of a location?