03/20/21, 09:18 AM   #1
DaSnowFangs

Question Dual-Wield Off-Hand Damage NOT Adding Up

So I recently reset my character in order to do some damage tests for an addOn I'm writing, but something has been eluding me. I was under the impression that DW Off-hands were meant to provide 20% of the off-hand weapon damage value, however my calculations are showing around 17.4%

Just to be clear, I am running two identical Legendary quality daggers here and the only things which are not base stats is my Max Stamina and Weapon/Spell Penetrations. These are currently being increased by The Thief (Mundus) and Weapon Traits (Sharpened). However, as far as I am aware, these two things should not affect my base weapon damage prior to an actual attack. I initially ran into this problem while working backwards from a target dummy damage calculation and upon checking the values forward simply by checking the difference between nothing equipped, main hand equipped and then with off-hand equipped, there was indeed less Weapon Damage than expected.

Another thing to note is that the damage increase projection (green arrow and values) are definately off. They will show one value, and then another upon equipping. This is a separate thing of course, the main problem is that in a control test, I am getting 2571 Weapon Damage when I expect to get 2602. I know a 31 damage difference (~3%) is negligible and all, but it's making me question the accuracy of my calculations going forward in later stages of my script and will no doubt have knock on effects on overall DPS in practice.

Am I missing something here? Everything is base except penetration and stamina, but these should not affect these pre-attack values. And besides, I can't imagine why it would be going backwards in value rather than forwards if anything...
03/20/21, 01:28 PM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Just to make sure I understand you correctly:
Your 3rd screen is supposed to show the off-hand dagger equipped as well to see the additional weapon damage done?
But you only got the main hand equipped on that screenshot.
The off-hand slot (shield icon) is empty, there is no 2nd dagger equipped.

You'd have to equip both to see the actual values I believe.

And the green arrows should show you the difference of the main-hand equipped to the item you have moved the mouse over in your inventory at the time the screenshot was takne (I assume this was the off-hand 2nd dagger).
So it compares the values of the 2 daggers, which should be all the same, if they are identical. But maybe the tooltip recognized the same set items and calculated a 2 item set bonus of hundings rage then, increasing your values of crit by 657 ?

Last edited by Baertram : 03/21/21 at 03:45 PM.
03/21/21, 12:42 PM   #3
DaSnowFangs

Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Just to make sure I understand you correctly:
Your 3d screen is supposed to show the off-hand dagger equipped as well to see the additional weapon damage done?
Yea showing the values before equip is a bad call on my part, but yes, even after equip, these are indeed the values I get. And I know that these are in fact the values I am getting because when I work backwards from a control test, in which I just use light attacks while factoring mitigation formulas and so on, these are the values I arrive at in the case of ~17.4 percent.

I'd be happy to record a clip of me testing this.
03/21/21, 03:47 PM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Okay, thanks for the clarification.
I know the tolltips do not always tell the correct values but I do not know of any "false formula" there.

My ony guess would have been a passives (from the dual wield skill tree, or class/race ones) striking in or some other values that got changed as you equip the 2nd weapon then. But in most cases it should not lower but rise the values then, imo.
03/24/22, 02:54 PM   #5
Attizh
Now how does this work with transformations like going into werewolf? They retain buffs, passive skills from other skill lines, and benefits of equipped weapons and armor, including weapon enchantments. The ww has its own attack skiils, but is a crit chance of equiped weapon still added to the claw attack?

Is the ww transformation only a polymorph with an extra buff and debuff, while you are still fighting with your 'invisible' weapons? Or do ww attacks not give extra chance benefits from weapons?
03/24/22, 03:41 PM   #6
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Afaik WW is using all equipped armor, weapons and jewelry bonus too, mundus stone as well, yes.
You only get a speical skill bar with your own WW skills and cannot use any other non WW skills while transformed.

Heavy attacks and light attacks will restore stamina while in ww form, maybe this was changed to restore what your equipped weapon is (staff = magicka, others = stamina), not sure. But I think it's still always stamina.

ESOUI » General Discussion » Gameplay » Dual-Wield Off-Hand Damage NOT Adding Up