04/16/14, 08:03 PM   #1
Wykkyd
Are you Wykkyd Gaming?

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Minion bombs PENDING addon updates

It allows install of PENDING addon updates but tries to do so with an old version number and then the addon basically vanishes from the end user machine. This is a rather serious issue considering the abnormally long delays in approvals lately and is causing a support nightmare for authors with many large addons such as me. Very, very stressed over this lately.
04/16/14, 08:24 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by Wykkyd View Post
considering the abnormally long delays in approvals lately
I have no idea what you're talking about.
04/16/14, 08:37 PM   #3
Wykkyd
Are you Wykkyd Gaming?

WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about.
Sarcasm? heh...

Used to take minutes. Now takes up to several hours. Still not as bad as curse but, it's been very noticeable.
04/16/14, 08:49 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
I wasn't being sarcastic. At all. Your last files were approved in less than an hour. We're real people sitting on this end of the approval queue. We check each and every file that gets uploaded. Scan it. View its contents. If you catch us while we're working on other projects (or at work, 'cause like you, we have other things to do, too), or eating with familiy, or sleeping, or working on another of the sites... Well, you get the picture. Sometimes we see a file in the queue as soon as it gets uploaded. Sometimes we are busy and may not notice for a little bit. If it's important that it be approved, you could always ping us in IRC. But nothing's changed between the opening of this site and now. Except, perhaps, your luck.

I am very sorry for Minion trying to grab updates when an addon is still in the queue. This does need to get fixed. I am sure you are frustrated.
04/16/14, 10:15 PM   #5
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
There was a change in the API yesterday

EDIT: Ok I see the issue.

- When the file is in the queue its fine and people can still download the old version.
- When its approved theres a 5min period where the API json is still cached with the old version number but when minion requests the download URL & MD5 the user is given the new info since that is not cached.
- So for that (up to 5min) period Minion is given the old version number by the Minion API but handed the new file & md5.

I've gone and reverted my API changes since like you said this is a huge issue. Very sorry! Thats something that didn't show up in testing because we dont use caching on our test API. (Now we will).

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Also about the approval slowness, Cairenn had to step away today for a family emergency so right now its just Seerah and I approving. We need to ad a few more file moderators to help with the load too.

Last edited by Dolby : 04/16/14 at 10:47 PM.
04/16/14, 10:50 PM   #6
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Ugh I see how this can effect the old API as well now. It would only affect new installs during this cache time. Those just updating would not be affected.

Working on a fix.

Edit: It could be longer than the expired cache time because Minion only reads that part of the API once for new installs. We need to get Minion to read the version number again right before it downloads.

Last edited by Dolby : 04/16/14 at 11:22 PM.
04/16/14, 11:46 PM   #7
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Ok put in a critical ticket for our java programmer to have Minion refresh the version number when a user clicks "Install". This already happens when a user clicks "Update" just doesnt happen for new installs it looks like.
04/17/14, 08:09 AM   #8
Wykkyd
Are you Wykkyd Gaming?

WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
I wasn't being sarcastic. At all. Your last files were approved in less than an hour. We're real people sitting on this end of the approval queue. We check each and every file that gets uploaded. Scan it. View its contents. If you catch us while we're working on other projects (or at work, 'cause like you, we have other things to do, too), or eating with familiy, or sleeping, or working on another of the sites... Well, you get the picture. Sometimes we see a file in the queue as soon as it gets uploaded. Sometimes we are busy and may not notice for a little bit. If it's important that it be approved, you could always ping us in IRC. But nothing's changed between the opening of this site and now. Except, perhaps, your luck.

I am very sorry for Minion trying to grab updates when an addon is still in the queue. This does need to get fixed. I am sure you are frustrated.
Obviously offense was taken, so I'm sorry. I know you're "real people". I understand the commitment and time involvement. I pm'd Cairenn a while back offering to help out when I'm available because I run 3 screens and could keep one open for this purpose (I never heard back on that topic). I update frequently, at odd hours and usually involving more than one addon. So I feel for you guys. But I also drive people here vs the other addon sites because of superior addon dev support and superior response time from you guys (Curse seems to have 1 guy doing everything for TESO and he's overworked and very slow to respond, Nexus has a very disappointing addon dev interface and is the most tedious to update).

ESOUI » Site Forums » Minion » Minion bombs PENDING addon updates