05/31/21, 01:28 PM   #1
fliggledip
Getting a player location

Does the addon API allow for a way for me to say enter a users @ name and then draw a beam on them without being in the same group but in the same guild? Basically I want to create a simple icon that I can set a user name in and have it draw a beam or crown over their head. This way people in group 2 can see the main raid lead in group 1.
05/31/21, 01:38 PM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
No and this was also asked and answered in many other threads here already before

Addons cannot get any position of any unit except if you are grouped.
And they cannot draw any icon above others without having the exact positions + drawing icons and textures or using beams inside dungeons does neither work.
You can only exchange the textures of already given group members above their heads, that's all.

Sending data between non grouped players is not possible except if they would be in the same guild via guild messages but changing them too often (like more than once every 2 seconds) will most likely kick you from the server for message spam + the messages are also already used for many addons and thus the text is already fully used. Nevertheless it would be no good idea to send data via thase texts as it is too slow for positions etc.

Last edited by Baertram : 05/31/21 at 01:41 PM.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Getting a player location