03/02/14, 06:39 PM   #1
raykai

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
(addons) The ESO API is there a way to Extract the API ?

hi im just wandering if there is a way to Extract the API of ESO to see the Lua ?
as in other mmo you had to tern on the game command to extract it is there a way to do it with this game ?

by that i mean to extract the interface files this would allow you to view all of the XML and Lua files that make the game's default UI work,

on the ESO forum some ppl told me to ask in this forum for them as (you don't need to EXTARCT them... they have been released (at the moment it is still reserverd to PTS player... but since the NDA for PTS has been liftied you can probably find them out there...)
03/02/14, 06:54 PM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
*points raykai to the wiki.
03/02/14, 07:19 PM   #3
raykai

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
*points raykai to the wiki.
* Raykai looks at the useful Wiki... but is looking for some thing that's missing in the wiki and starts crying.

thx for your reply but what im looking for is the default UI of ESO to see how it works many MMO call this a API kit or a addon development kit, its used as a building blocks so to speak if you read the rest of this post you will see what im looking for as il give a exampal of other mmo kit. the wiki has all the function but is missing the interface files. haveing that would allow ppl to view all of the XML and Lua files that make the game's default UI work, useful for new playes in the addon seen.

ex:
world of war craft :Interface AddOn Kit https://us.battle.net/support/en/art...face-addon-kit

an other way to get API Extract for other mmos is doing this :

Extract the API (same for rift and lotr)
Navigate to your World of Warcraft\ directory (usually in "C:\Program Files (x86)")
Right click the WoW.exe file
Send to → Desktop (create shortcut)
Navigate to your Desktop, right click on your newly created shortcut
Select Properties, a new window will pop up
In the target line you need to add '-console' to the very end of the line it should look like this:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Wow.exe" -console
Make sure to hit Apply, close the window and launch your created shortcut

At the login page (before logging in) press the tilde (~) key (the key to left of the 1 key, labeled `~) to open the World of Warcraft console
Type "exportInterfaceFiles code" or "exportInterfaceFiles art". Code is probably what you're looking for, you will notice the game will lock up as it is exporting the files, this is normal.
You can now find the current version of the stock UI files in the BlizzardInterfaceCode folder of your WoW directory.
you can find the info im talking about at http://www.wowwiki.com/Getting_start...writing_AddOns

rift and lotr has the same way of geting it using the console way so im gussing ESO has a method too ?

Last edited by raykai : 03/02/14 at 07:41 PM.
03/02/14, 07:47 PM   #4
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
I wasn't sure if you meant just the straight API, or that, so I was just trying to cover all bases. I'm trying to get permission to post the default files as well.
03/02/14, 07:56 PM   #5
raykai

Smile

I wasn't sure if you meant just the straight API, or that, so I was just trying to cover all bases. I'm trying to get permission to post the default files as well.
nice as the NDA has bin lifted i don't see why we cant get the files we need. i cant wait to get it to start doing my addons im not a big pro at it but with the kit il manage to get around
03/03/14, 10:05 PM   #6
SDPhantom

Originally Posted by raykai View Post
nice as the NDA has bin lifted i don't see why we cant get the files we need. i cant wait to get it to start doing my addons im not a big pro at it but with the kit il manage to get around
It's a copyright issue, not one with the NDA.
03/03/14, 10:12 PM   #7
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Indeed, that is precisely the issue.
03/19/14, 04:23 PM   #8
Taiisien

any update on this, or can anyone point me in the direction of finding the files with the default ui in them.

thanks in advance
Taii
03/19/14, 05:12 PM   #9
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
No update, still waiting for permission. They are, understandably, incredibly busy right now so I'm not actually expecting to hear anything from them about this until after launch, at this point.
03/19/14, 05:17 PM   #10
Taiisien

I expected as much, but thank you for the very quick response, I will continue to hope they release this so I can study and try to relearn lua (have not used it in 7 years) and even then it was just the most basic understanding of it to create the addons I wanted.
03/20/14, 01:25 PM   #11
ins
Doesn't Wildstar come with a Addon-Editor and access to the full UI out of the box? Seems strange for TESO to be so locked down, considering all the challenges it has.
04/03/14, 02:09 PM   #12
WoWLoreConfusedMe
Unhappy

Originally Posted by ins View Post
Doesn't Wildstar come with a Addon-Editor and access to the full UI out of the box? Seems strange for TESO to be so locked down, considering all the challenges it has.
It is. A VERY nice UI editor and resource explorer. http://media.hiddenarena.com/images/...s/houston5.jpg

It's a pity that ZOS are so limited and closed to the modding community.
04/03/14, 03:12 PM   #13
Flamage

Dayum, that really is a nice editor. And for that to come with the API kit they release with the game is impressive. I don't think wow has that quality of tool support even now.
04/10/14, 08:14 AM   #14
Vicster0

Maybe I'm nuts but couldn't you still use an editor like that (if you could get your hands on it) for TESO? It's all XML and LUA at the end of the day. Maybe the built in functions would be slightly off, but for GUI purposes it could fit the bill...

04/10/14, 10:11 AM   #15
Brainling
TESO/ZO aren't being "closed off" and "not supportive" of modding. They are one of the few MMO's that gives us a full UI system, I think that's quite the opposite of closed off. They are understandably busy and want to make sure the source is in a state to release. And in the end, it is their copyrighted material, like it or not.

WildStar's editor is neat, but a couple of things: There was an editor much like that for WoW, written by a guy at Microsoft as a Visual Studio shell integration: No one used it, and thus it was not maintained or extended. WYSIWYG editors are neat, but once most developers have experience building for the system they don't use them anymore. I can work just as fast in a text editor with XML and LUA as I can with a WYSIWYG system. When I do XAML or HTML at work, I don't use a WYSIWYG editor and haven't in probably ten years.

It's still very cool that the WildStar developers are supporting it to that level though.
04/10/14, 10:26 AM   #16
Xrystal
caritas omnia vincit

Premium Member
I think people are confusing mods with addons.

Mods usually allow the user to change the games environment as well as the UI.
Addons only allow the user to change the UI.

The UI does not include interactable objects of any type like lockpicking the chests or the look of buildings or other objects of varying sizes that are in the game. It is simply an overlay on the screen to display information. The built in UI is very limited on its information so for those that like more information on screen they give us the opportunity to 'clutter' our screen with more information that is usually elsewhere available in a different way.

An example of this is the tradeskill research timer addons. This information is available in game for everyone, as long as they visit the crafting station regularly. What the addons do instead is display that information on screen at all times, so now, if you only need to go to the crafting station when research is available, you can use this addon to let you know.

Similarly with the durability/quality of items you are wearing. If you hover over your equipped items it will show you the quality and durability level. The addons that enhance this show a visual version of this information to save you from hovering over each item to check it.
05/16/14, 04:13 AM   #17
ckaotik
No update, still waiting for permission. They are, understandably, incredibly busy right now so I'm not actually expecting to hear anything from them about this until after launch, at this point.
Has anything changed since then? It's almost been two months
05/16/14, 04:28 AM   #18
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
I know that the request is winding its way through the various departments that have to discuss whether to approve it or not. As soon as I know, guys, you'll know.
05/18/14, 01:26 AM   #19
Vuelhering
Is it allowed to post extraction code?

There's no decryption, so it won't fall under DMCA anything, afaik (with the obligatory, ianal). The container protocol has mostly been reverse engineered.

Not trying to put you on the spot here, just wondering if this site would allow that so that any author could extract it themselves (instead of only a few, as it is now). Thus, you wouldn't have to host any code copyrighted by zos.
05/18/14, 05:10 AM   #20
Xrystal
caritas omnia vincit

Premium Member
Hmm, was just reading the Elder Scrolls Online EULA to see what it says about reverse engineering etc. And I found this little titbit in there.

All Customized Game Materials created by you are exclusively owned by ZeniMax and/or its licensors (as the case may be) and you hereby irrevocably assign and agree to assign to ZeniMax all of your right, title and interest in and to such Customized Game Materials. If applicable law precludes the assignment of all or any portion of your right, title and interest in and to Customized Game Materials, you hereby grant to ZeniMax to the fullest extent permitted by that applicable law a non-exclusive worldwide, irrevocable, royalty-free license, with the right to sublicense, under all of your intellectual property rights to use, reproduce, modify, distribute, display and perform such Customized Game Materials and again to the fullest extent permitted by that applicable law you also waive and agree never to assert against ZeniMax, its affiliates and its/their customers any moral rights or similar rights that you may have in the Customized Game Materials;
Would this include addons or is this just a carry over from the single player games that they left in the EULA on their site.

And as I suspected :
You agree that you will not and will not assist any other person, under any circumstances:
A.in whole or in part, distribute, publicly perform of display, sell, transmit, publish, edit, reproduce, sublicense, rent, lease, loan or otherwise transfer the Game, any related software or content, including without limitation any access keys;

B.in whole or in part, modify, adapt, translate, reverse engineer, attempt to derive source code from, modify, disassemble, decompile, or create derivative works based on the Game; provided, however, that you may make one (1) copy of the Game Client and the manuals that accompany it for archival purposes only and you may install the relevant Game Client on one or more computers by you or under your legitimate control as described in Section 1 above;

C.use cheats, automation software (bots), hacks, mods or any other unauthorized third-party software designed to modify the Game or adversely impact any other persons playing of the Game or his/her experience of playing the Game;
Sounds a bit iffy to even host extraction code as you're then encouraging people to break 'B' if I am reading that correctly.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » (addons) The ESO API is there a way to Extract the API ?