05/27/19, 11:57 AM   #1
EJ42
How to tell when I killed a miniboss in public dungeon

I'm new to writing addons for ESO, but I've written many for WoW. Unfortunately, WoW's system for sending kill data is very different from ESO's. I'm hoping someone can help me figure out how to tell when I've gotten kill credit (not necessarily the killing blow) for a "boss" in a public dungeon. These don't show boss bars, and they don't count as "bosses" as far as I can tell compared to the ones in veteran dungeons.

In the context of a "Hello World" style addon, is there a simple way to detect when something just died that I got credit for, and then tell some details about that target? I thought about testing for experience earned, but I'm not sure that's the best way.

Let's say I'm in a public dungeon, fighting a few skeletons. My AE hits The Silent Colossus while some other people are fighting it. As I'm doing battle with the skeletons, The Silent Colossus is killed, and I get loot rights for it. Is there a simple way to detect that The Silent Colossus died (even while I'm still fighting the skeletons), and pop up a message in chat that says "You just killed The Silent Colossus!"?

The idea I'm going for is to create a timer that starts when the first boss dies that I can loot. It will ultimately have a graphical timer box that counts down until loot cooldown period is over for me to be able to kill another boss and get loot again.

It would be nice if I could get some callback to the unit that died so I can determine its name, its difficulty, etc. to help weed out trash mobs without having to use a database of known boss names for a lookup.

Any ideas? Thank you.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » How to tell when I killed a miniboss in public dungeon