04/24/14, 12:34 PM   #21
Joviex

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by thelegendaryof View Post
You got one thing wrong thought - my Addon / Library has no public method for an Addon to surpress the Debugging Output! That choice is ultimatively up to the User in the Debug Settings and is disabled by Default. No Addon can change that - only the User.
Pretty sure I had it right the first time =)

Exactly what you said, "up to the User in the Dialog Settings"

Well, I don't want them to have that option.

Unless I use your system, you are forcing me to make another "output" window for core messages I want/need to print to the console.

That just does not seem like a positive.

Simply leave the global, core api alone. You want to override, or provide an alternative, great. But suppressing the default API behavior is not cool.
04/24/14, 01:13 PM   #22
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
To clarify or add to what Joviex and I were saying... If a user has 6 addons installed, and one of them uses LibDebug...
  • User has addon A installed which includes your LibDebug.
  • User also has addons B, C, D, E, and F installed.
  • The author of addon C accidentally left in a debug statement that spams the chatlog a few times.
  • User says "hey, I think I saw a settings somewhere that lets me turn that off" and does so.
  • Addons B and E use d() to print things to the chatframe such as total amount of gold earned from selling things to a vendor or an alert when your research is complete.
  • User notices that these printouts are no longer appearing in their chat window.
  • User complains to the authors of addons B and E, thinking that something is broken. (These aren't debug statements, they're legitimate addon output for the user to see, after all. The user doesn't think about that debug setting they switched from LibDebug.)
  • Authors of addons B and E are totally confused and cannot figure out what sort of problem the user is having and why it is affecting their code. (They don't know about LibDebug, and have no idea that they have to use LibDebug.d() if some other random addon is using LibDebug.)
05/09/14, 11:50 AM   #23
thelegendaryof

I got what you guys ment. For anyone else that has a blockhead like me:

d() like DUMP or /dump and not debug.

I'll properly rename everything, make it more clear, hide it a bit more for the simple user and refrain from hooking it further and will move onto providing own debugging functions with levels/filters like suggested instead in future versions.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » Request: Bugsack!