04/07/14, 06:03 PM   #21
skyraker
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Iyanga View Post
Does not compute. Either it was not much negative feedback, then it was an overreaction, or it was much, then it was not disturbing, but justified.
Lots of negative feedback by immature trolls doesn't make the negative feedback justified. More than likely one of them said something, she responded, and they proceeded to hound her.

IMO, Pawkette was one of the best of us at this. I believe she even stated she is a developer IRL. I'm sorry she felt she needed to step away from this site.
04/07/14, 06:15 PM   #22
Greevir

I hope it wasn't because someone circumvented her new xp icon by making a patch to replace it with the old one. That would be a bit of an overreaction imo.
04/07/14, 07:39 PM   #23
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Sunhed View Post
Maybe you need to restructure the website so that some people become moderated, or just ban their noncontributing .
When we are made aware of people being jerks, we deal with it. It's very plain in our site rules that we don't put up with crap being dished out here. People who have used (any of) our sites for any length of time can attest to that. Folks get a warning. Then they get a vacation (short term ban) if they didn't pay heed to the warning. Then if they still persist they get a permanent ban. Although depending on how bad someone's behaviour is, sometimes it just goes straight to permanent ban. But we need to know about it. Even with just this one single site, there are already too many pages (threads, comments on addon pages, etc.) for us to be able to keep up with all of them. If someone is having a problem with another user, we need to be told. At the bottom left corner of every single post on the site, whether a post in a thread in a forum or a comment on an addon page, there is a little triangle with a red exclamation mark that either says "report post" or "report comment". Click it. Or send one of us a PM. It isn't like it's difficult to get in touch with us, and it isn't like we don't respond.

All of that said, I hate that some people made it so that she felt like she didn't want to continue. It sucks, all over the place. And in talks with her about it, I know why she decided to walk away and agree with her. A hobby isn't worth getting stressed out/losing sleep over. It's supposed to be fun. If it isn't fun, then stop doing it. I wish people hadn't made it not fun for her. However it was done, unfortunately, and there isn't anything any of us can do to 'go back and fix it'.
04/07/14, 09:08 PM   #24
GrizzlyUK

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
When we are made aware of people being jerks, we deal with it. It's very plain in our site rules that we don't put up with crap being dished out here. People who have used (any of) our sites for any length of time can attest to that. Folks get a warning. Then they get a vacation (short term ban) if they didn't pay heed to the warning. Then if they still persist they get a permanent ban. Although depending on how bad someone's behaviour is, sometimes it just goes straight to permanent ban. But we need to know about it. Even with just this one single site, there are already too many pages (threads, comments on addon pages, etc.) for us to be able to keep up with all of them. If someone is having a problem with another user, we need to be told. At the bottom left corner of every single post on the site, whether a post in a thread in a forum or a comment on an addon page, there is a little triangle with a red exclamation mark that either says "report post" or "report comment". Click it. Or send one of us a PM. It isn't like it's difficult to get in touch with us, and it isn't like we don't respond.

All of that said, I hate that some people made it so that she felt like she didn't want to continue. It sucks, all over the place. And in talks with her about it, I know why she decided to walk away and agree with her. A hobby isn't worth getting stressed out/losing sleep over. It's supposed to be fun. If it isn't fun, then stop doing it. I wish people hadn't made it not fun for her. However it was done, unfortunately, and there isn't anything any of us can do to 'go back and fix it'.
The people responsible for such behaviour should be ashamed of themselves, it never ceases to amaze me how quickly some people simply forget that every single addon author is allowing the rest of us to use the amazing creations that they've spent time on without any sort of payment! I always try very hard to adhere to a simple policy: if you don't like an addon then move on and say nothing, if you have a problem with an addon then report it with as much detail and info as possible, be polite at all times and, no matter what, there is simply never any justification for being rude and/or obnoxious. It saddens me that some people can be such horrible human beings that they force someone to leave, those people are just internet bullies who deserve nothing more than banishment!
04/07/14, 10:10 PM   #25
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Pawkette tried to moderate her own addon comments. When I found out what was happening and how people were acting, I gave a big fat warning on the comment page to all involved. I also told her that if she needed anything at all to let us know. Unfortunately, it was so bad that the next thing we heard was that she wanted to close up shop.

Some people think that when they are on the internet they have license to say and act however they feel. Maybe they forget that there's another person on the other end. Or maybe they feel bulletproof and anonymous and just don't care. Either way, guys (both users and authors alike), please let us know when you see things like this happening. As Cairenn said, we can't possibly be everywhere at once, but we really want to help you, we will have your back, and we do want this site to be a happy, productive community.
04/07/14, 10:49 PM   #26
Ark

Lets be clear about this: This is a enrage.
We are between programers, so we know what it be to deal with ungrateful bad-mannered people. Usually, the customers. And then, because we won money out of that, we eat it.
But this is an altruistic none-profitable kind of programing, that we do in our free time. Our free time! Instead of playing, going out, or just do whatever other thing we could want.
To be screwed by the same users you are trying to help...that's not ok. But the world its full of ********, and internet even more. We all know the tonic is that people who come to say something usually comes to say something bad. Maybe a bug, maybe something they want different...and usually they say it like its an order.
...Because, you know, you are our slave. Sometimes our *****. You do the addon for us, because reasons.
We all know this.

Now, we are still between programers. And because we know, we can still talk.
When you do this kind of work, its like some kind of baby. Maybe a puppy. Its yours. You love it. And you want it to succeed.
You don't want anyone to maintain it. Even if you get enraged and drop it.
I read that somehow she is still developing some addons at github. If I did read it right, then there you have it: She doesn't want to stop developing her work.
She is just mad, and I think every ****ing one of us understand her.

But now its time to calm down, think it twice, and come back.
Why? Because we need her. And because she want to.
Even before I knew she was a 'she', he was one of my favorite addon developers on ESO.
Jesus, she got me MSBT on ESO! Just for that I'll be always grateful!
She just need to 'feel the love'. And that is what I think many people is doing in this thread. (Not only for her...I think every addon developer deserves to feel the love once in a while)
We users just love that work, even when we forget that behind it there is a human being working hard to gift it to us. Some people just know it every time they see the download count, and not really need to be reminded...but when you got flamed in your very addon forum space, its cool to have a thread when people ask you to came back.

So, I hope she do came back. Not only for us, but for herself too

(pd: sorry if my english sound weird...every time I read the 'feel the love' and 'came back' lines It feels like they are ****ing wrong, and I don't know why for sure XD )

Last edited by Cairenn : 04/08/14 at 02:17 AM.
04/08/14, 01:13 AM   #27
Implement
I would love if Pawkette stayed here in the community and continued to make add-ons, but if she wants to leave because of some perceived slight from the community then I am not going to feel bad she left.

The community is not in short supply of programmers or Elder Scrolls fans. If she thinks we don't appreciate her add on, GOOD RIDDANCE.

Sorry someone had to say it.

We will live on and prosper without her.

Last edited by Implement : 04/08/14 at 01:16 AM.
04/08/14, 02:16 AM   #28
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
You are entitled to your opinion. Just remember our rules about posting with respect and courtesy:

1. Post with respect and courtesy. Debate is fine ... so long as when you disagree with someone, you respond in a civilized and constructive manner.
  2. No libel. No defamation of character. Don't come here and slam/flame anyone/thing. Don't come here sounding off that Blizz sucks, EQ sucks, mod_author_01 sucks, etc and so on. None of that. You want to post things like that, take it elsewhere, there are enough other boards that cater to that type of thing. This isn't FlameVault. See 1.

Your post is very definitely pushing the line of what we will tolerate. Be a bit more civil in the future, please.

Last edited by Cairenn : 04/08/14 at 02:44 AM.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » LootDrop gone?