11/05/21, 09:40 PM   #1
TypicalPrior
If I get another account on the same pc, will one account's add on settings overwrite

I'm at max toons and I want to make another account for writs and daily purposes, and some trial coffers too. But my question is, upon logging into the new account, will all the individual saved variable settings for the addons of the first account be overwritten by whatever saved variables I create for the second account? And vice versa when I log out of the second account and back into the first one?
11/06/21, 04:22 AM   #2
Psiioniic
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I think that depends on how add-on authors implemented it. I'd say most common way is per account/character, but might be different for some add-ons.
You can look at the individual saved variables lua files to be sure before accidentially overwriting them (and also backup all of them before).

account wide looks often like this (when it was created via ZO_SavedVars:NewAccountWide):
Code:
... =
{
    ["Default"] = 
    {
        ["@AccountName"] = 
        {
            ["$AccountWide"] = 
            {
instead of the @AccountName, there could be also an $InstallationWide here instead. Or no mention of the account name, then it's also installation wide.
11/06/21, 04:19 PM   #3
TypicalPrior
Originally Posted by Psiioniic View Post
I think that depends on how add-on authors implemented it. I'd say most common way is per account/character, but might be different for some add-ons.
You can look at the individual saved variables lua files to be sure before accidentially overwriting them (and also backup all of them before).

account wide looks often like this (when it was created via ZO_SavedVars:NewAccountWide):
Code:
... =
{
    ["Default"] = 
    {
        ["@AccountName"] = 
        {
            ["$AccountWide"] = 
            {
instead of the @AccountName, there could be also an $InstallationWide here instead. Or no mention of the account name, then it's also installation wide.
Hey Psiioniic, thanks for replying! So I followed what you said and browsed through some of my main add on saved variables, and the lua files are as formatted as you quoted with the "@AccountName". So I'm not familiar with coding at all and I'm trying to understand what you said. Does accountwide ... '@AccountName" mean that the addon will hold all saved variable settings for both my accounts in the lua files? And that, even when I swap from one account to the other, the data and settings will be saved per account? So that, ideally, when I log into account 1, make changes to addon A's saved variables, log out and into account 2, make changes to addon A's saved variables, then log back into account 1, addon A's saved variables specifically for account 1 are still there and the same for account 2's?

Also, if it's installation wide, does that mean that once I log out and log into another account, all the saved variable settings for the previous account will be overwritten when I log into the second one, and vice versa?

Thanks if you can help clarify this a little more for me. I appreciate your patience and your response!

Last edited by TypicalPrior : 11/06/21 at 04:34 PM.
11/06/21, 04:52 PM   #4
Psiioniic
Originally Posted by TypicalPrior View Post
Does accountwide ... '@AccountName" mean that the addon will hold all saved variable settings for both my accounts in the lua files? And that, even when I swap from one account to the other, the data and settings will be saved per account? So that, ideally, when I log into account 1, make changes to addon A's saved variables, log out and into account 2, make changes to addon A's saved variables, then log back into account 1, addon A's saved variables specifically for account 1 are still there and the same for account 2's?
yes, exactly!

Originally Posted by TypicalPrior View Post
Also, if it's installation wide, does that mean that once I log out and log into another account, all the saved variable settings for the previous account will be overwritten when I log into the second one, and vice versa?
Yes, as soon as you change them in the 2nd account, they are also changed if you log back in with the first account.
11/06/21, 07:21 PM   #5
Rhynchelma
Premium Member
Premium Member
Not an experts but I have two accounts on the same PC, the Account Wide saved variable values are for one account, not both. Account wide refers to all the characters on an account, below account wide are values for individual characters, if used.

The second account will have its own account wide and and individual data.

Last edited by Rhynchelma : 11/06/21 at 07:25 PM.
11/06/21, 11:27 PM   #6
TypicalPrior
Originally Posted by Rhynchelma View Post
The second account will have its own account wide and and individual data.
Will that data be stored in the same lua file?
11/07/21, 03:06 PM   #7
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Yes, just another subtable with the other @accountName2

You could even logout, copy the whole @accountName1 table and rename it to your other accountname2, and it should contain the same settings like your first account then. Make sure to be logged out before copying/manipulating the SavedVariables! Else they will rebuild from ingame data on next reloadUI/zone change/logout!

Last edited by Baertram : 11/07/21 at 03:09 PM.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » If I get another account on the same pc, will one account's add on settings overwrite