03/28/15, 06:09 PM   #1
esocurious
So, are the skills/classes balanced?

So, brief summery, I don't own the game,I am very interested in it. I was playing with the skill calculator, and there are quite a bit of skills!
I assume guild skills, weapons skills, and class skills are all inclusive? As I can have any combination of them I want?

So the real question is, are the skills balanced? Are the classes balanced? Or are there ''right'' skills to get and ''wrong'' skills to get?
So don't get _______ because _____ is better, and _____ is under powered.

I always liked the idea of RPGs, and hack and slash RPGs, I played Diablo 3 for a short while, the day I figured out the skills were not balanced, I quit. Long story short, balance is very important to me.

I see on the forum here many people are asking for '''builds''' now does this mean skills are unbalanced?
or is there a 1-3 proper builds per class kind of thing?

Any facts, or opinions on the matter? Is there a chart that shows player level, used skills, least used skills etc?

P.S. By skills i mean anything that you use in combat ''spells','skills'' ''talents'' whatever.

Last edited by esocurious : 03/28/15 at 06:12 PM.
03/28/15, 07:41 PM   #2
QuadroTony
Banned
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
there is no balance
not in MMO

you cannot find any mmo-rpg with good balance
this is how MMOs works and looks like
and its impossible to make balanced MMO-rpg game
ever

wanna game with balance close to perfect? counter strike, star craft, dota

Last edited by QuadroTony : 03/28/15 at 07:44 PM.
03/28/15, 07:56 PM   #3
esocurious
re

I don't quite understand your answer, what does it being an MMORPG have to do with things not being balanced? Howcome they can balance Mobas, and RTS games, what is so out there about MMO's that it cant be balanced?
I mean I understand that RPG's are kind of progression, and gear based, and this guy over here with a better sword has a better chance of winning, but am mainly talking about skills.

Last edited by esocurious : 03/28/15 at 07:58 PM.
03/29/15, 12:03 AM   #4
circonian
Originally Posted by esocurious View Post
I don't quite understand your answer, what does it being an MMORPG have to do with things not being balanced? Howcome they can balance Mobas, and RTS games, what is so out there about MMO's that it cant be balanced?
I mean I understand that RPG's are kind of progression, and gear based, and this guy over here with a better sword has a better chance of winning, but am mainly talking about skills.
Some games, lets say counter-strike for example...The counter-Terrorists may have an xxx sniper rifle and the terrorists have yyy sniper rifle, they have different names, different textures (looks), different sounds, but its pretty much the exact same gun, so its balanced. Same for all of the weapons.

In MMO's one of the attractive features is having multiple (different) races/classes/skill lines to progress in, exc... which increase the replay value. Lots of people want to try out different races, classes, skill lines, builds, exc.. If every race/class/skill line was the same no one would care nor want to play through different characters or try out different builds. But in trying to create these unique races/classes/skill lines it makes it very difficult to keep things balanced.

The replay value of games like counter-strike do not henge on doing something different everytime, its more of a skill challenge, you keep playing to improve & because its fun. Heck all you do is play the same maps over & over & over forever....but no one cares its fun !!! So games like that don't suffer (as much) from balance issues because its easier to keep things balanced when its not necessary for everyone to have unique stuff (weapons, skills, exc..).

Anyhow, thats just my opinion on it.
03/29/15, 11:00 AM   #5
esocurious
So any specific examples of imbalance in ESO ? Is there a skill nobody uses because they know its junk? or a skill every one uses?
03/29/15, 11:17 AM   #6
QuadroTony
Banned
usefull/useless related to the builds:
pvp
pve
single target
aoe
healer
dps
tank
aoe pvp
single pvp

also there is lot of different skills with different level of usefullness for different circumstances
you requested a book of 50 pages, its too much to explain

the most useless skill for any hero i think its passive points to Keen Eye:Rune Stones

Last edited by QuadroTony : 03/29/15 at 11:19 AM.
03/29/15, 11:32 AM   #7
Ayantir

I must agree with quadro. I don't think there is a single skill useless ingame. They're all made for something.
There are some few morphs a little more worst than others, but speaking about skills they're all good.

PS: Quadro forget a build : "leveling" and I like my Keen Eye:Rune Stones !
03/29/15, 11:36 AM   #8
QuadroTony
Banned
Originally Posted by Ayantir View Post
PS: Quadro forget a build : "leveling" and I like my Keen Eye:Rune Stones !
eek
i mean rune stones already has a light glowing inside it, and keen eye didnt improve the visibility of them, imo
03/29/15, 12:01 PM   #9
Sasky
Originally Posted by QuadroTony View Post
usefull/useless related to the builds:
pvp
pve
single target
aoe
healer
dps
tank
aoe pvp
single pvp
Then the PvP builds depend on ganking, small group, 1vX, large group, etc. Then consider even different bosses lead to switching out a skill sometimes.

Partly why people ask for builds is there are so many options out there. Even if everything was perfectly balanced, when you only get 12 skill slots you have to choose what to put there.

There are some skills that end up unused because they have limited utility and you need the skill slot for something more useful. Other skills are better designed and the morphs represent real tradeoffs that you need to think about (or just look up a build).

Part of the challenge in balancing is the classes play differently. You're trying to balance completely different skills. For main portions, you could do common stats like damage/cast, damage/magicka, dps, etc. However, what are buffs worth? How much does burst damage/heal matter? Does self-healing while you're doing damage matter?

The game's much more balanced than it was at launch, but it's still not perfect and probably won't ever be perfectly balanced unless it turns into the FPS-style circonian mentioned.
03/29/15, 04:33 PM   #10
esocurious
Well it sounds more balanced than most RPG's ive played, if Keen Eye:Rune Stones is the only useless skill in the game, I mean if you can give more examples thats fine, but if you for example go to D3 forums and ask you will get a whole list of skills that are not balanced by a dozen different players.

The fact that you need different skill set in soloing or group PVP does not mean the skill is useless perse, unless you are saying that there are only a few skills that are good for PVP ?
03/29/15, 07:40 PM   #11
timidobserver
Things will never be completely balanced, but it is a lot more balanced than it was at launch. Everybody has a fighting chance at the moment.

ESOUI » General Discussion » Class Discussions » So, are the skills/classes balanced?