05/11/14, 01:27 AM   #1
CatoTheElder
Hello?

Not sure where to say Hi, I suppose this works as well as anywhere.

I'm an IT Engineer, meaning I've done a lot of studying and working in software development. I've worked extensively with more languages than I can count off hand. My proudest moment was finishing a linux kernel module, and file system driver, to work with the filesystem I wrote. I'm currently studying Philosophy in Uni, to help understand humans better, to assist with my pet projects of AIRD (Artificial Intelligence Research & Development).

So, to sum up. I'm really good at logic programming, import/export, databases, efficiency optimization etc.
Pretty bad at GUI stuff. I only have a GUI on my Desktop for games.

I'm usually rather grouchy, because I've talked to thousands of script kiddies who think they're king ****, yet can't explain a rather simple optimization technique such as passing by reference, as opposed to by value, or things like bitwise operations and bit shifting. I've grown impatient and short tempered over the years of frustration.

I couldn't find the full API available on your site, despite elderscrollsonline.com saying it was hosted here, so I ripped through what is available in your wiki, as well as various addons. At this point, I'm still missing some info, but I'm fairly confident.

Please feel free to drop me a message if you would like a hand, have too much on your plate, or just some great ideas.

Cheers!
Cato

P.S. I'm not sure who the site admin is, but please, please, please, update that terrible "myFirstApp" tutorial. I'll write a far better one, if you will replace it.
05/11/14, 03:55 AM   #2
Xrystal
caritas omnia vincit

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Welcome,

Anyone can edit the wiki so if you have a better first addon tutorial then by all means change it.

The Wiki is the only source of API access we have. The addon zgoo gives us a little bit more information while in game but that is about it until we gradually update the wiki with information we find out during our addon writing.
05/11/14, 04:20 AM   #3
CatoTheElder
Thank you Xrystal,

I'll do my best to supply reliable and updated information on the wiki. I will certainly do at least a tutorial ASAP.

I'm just a little concerned that ESO says the API is available here, and you're saying you don't have the API available here. This seems like a major mis-communication. With all due respect, if an admin can confirm this, I will certainly be speaking to ESO support about the matter.

Is there anything that we need to be working on? We could extrapolate a generic GUI library fairly easily out of LibAddonMenu, but I'd rather not "steal the code".

Cheers!
05/11/14, 04:49 AM   #4
Xrystal
caritas omnia vincit

Premium Member
ESO gave us the basic information and it is our job to flesh it out with the details and how they are used.

The ESO internal Lua functions/UI etc we do not have access to as yet. Hopefully they will release a way for us to extract it. But it is early days. WOW was the same in the early days I have been told. I came into addon writing late in that game so was surprised to see the lack of information here at the start. So now I understand how hard it was in the early days of addon writing.

Bear in mind the WIKI had less information in when it was first set up. People have been changing it as they get more information available to them.
05/11/14, 06:52 AM   #5
CatoTheElder
Fair enough. By the time I started writing addons for WoW, the API was pushed out with the client. I'll keep on digging then.
05/11/14, 10:25 AM   #6
Stormknight

Originally Posted by CatoTheElder View Post
,P.S. I'm not sure who the site admin is, but please, please, please, update that terrible "myFirstApp" tutorial. I'll write a far better one, if you will replace it.
Amusingly I believe that the my first app was created by Zenimax during beta.

I've updated areas of the wiki, but between work, social life, gaming time and coding addons, I don't find much time.
05/11/14, 10:26 AM   #7
Xrystal
caritas omnia vincit

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Stormknight View Post
Amusingly I believe that the my first app was created by Zenimax during beta.

I've updated areas of the wiki, but between work, social life, gaming time and coding addons, I don't find much time.
What ? You manage to fit in a social life as well rofl.
05/12/14, 01:26 AM   #8
Stormknight

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
What ? You manage to fit in a social life as well rofl.
Haha, yeah, spent this weekend at the beer festival in Stuttgart with my fiance and our friends.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Hello?