02/15/14, 10:19 PM   #1
TopfliteB

Templar Talk: Builds, Weapons and Experiences

Hello all!

Thought I'd get a Templar thread going on here. I myself built one in the latest Beta just to try it out and LOVED it! I honestly thought that my main would end up being a Nightblade as I usually play ranged physical dps in my mmo's, but the way that Templar plays I'm going as a Breton, with a Resto staff and light armor. Magika for days and a healing glass cannon!

How about you? What build are you planning or contemplating? What do you see as the pros and cons of these builds?

Or just come and tell us how awesome Templars are in general!
02/15/14, 10:39 PM   #2
Xrystal
caritas omnia vincit

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I went with nightblade and Templar duo as well.

With the Templar I went with traditional heavy armor and sword and shield and put 2/3 points in the healing branch and the rest in damage. I didn't see anything in aedrics spear branch that appealed to me so ignored that branch totally. Seems to be working fine so far but only got to level 9 so hard to say.
02/16/14, 12:25 AM   #3
TopfliteB

The "Paladin" style does seem to be another popular one

If you like, why not fill out your build thus far on the Skill Calculator and we can all see how you're thinking and such. My own build can be found here

As for the Aedric Spear line, it does seem to have a more "up close and personal" feel to it, but personally I think that "Piercing Javelin" and it's morphs are highly usefully in both PvE and PvP. Having not only a knock back, but the ability to control your target's distance could be crucial. I know it may be less of an issue for Heavy Armor users, but as a Light Armor build it was always nice that if an enemy was getting to close I could throw him to the ground and get either a few spells off or a short heal
02/16/14, 05:17 AM   #4
Xrystal
caritas omnia vincit

Premium Member
From memory she was set up similar to this : http://esohead.com/calculator/skills...N7MzJZcY6zJZrM

Can't remember all the numbers now though so some may be higher than what they are.
02/16/14, 06:44 AM   #5
BlackBear

My tanky/charger templar build

I am going with this build since I am going to play the tank.

I just put together a few abilities I thought would fit well into the build but it looks promising.
02/16/14, 08:34 AM   #6
Callsign
My Templar build.

Build is designed to cover a variety of situations without the need to change abilities around. There are a couple of minor/alternative ways to change this build, but this does just about everything you would really need. I find Templar tanking to be the easiest to pick up and most straightforward to learn and understand.
02/16/14, 08:49 AM   #7
Norefunds

anyone here knows how the passive "restoring spirit" work? if it procs on stamina abilities/magika spells or both?
02/16/14, 09:03 AM   #8
Callsign
Originally Posted by Norefunds View Post
anyone here knows how the passive "restoring spirit" work? if it procs on stamina abilities/magika spells or both?
I believe it will work for all ability activation, including ultimates.
02/16/14, 10:44 AM   #9
Maddogmargarita

I played a Templar to 13 and a Nightblade to 9 and liked them both. I loved the Dawn's wrath line (Solar Flare was great!) and the heals in Restoring Light were nice but mostly short range and I like to hang back max distance and let my husband do the mele so I might be using more Resto staff heals if I go Templar.
02/16/14, 12:07 PM   #10
Anderaos

I've played an Archer Breton Templar during this last Stress Test Beta and I loved it so much...
02/18/14, 02:32 PM   #11
fishyyy
Hi guys
I also played Templar as main char until lvl 20 PVE and PVP.

My Build WAS:
- Altmer for Mana boni (prefer Breton for the released Game now since I won´t use +15% dest. Staff exp but light armor)
- Copletely light armor for Mana
- Strong focus on restoring light/resto staff and at least one damage ability from dawns wrath
- Only Restoration staff

Playing in a Group of 4 in PVE I just needed to stay out of melee combat and heal from range. Worked out pretty well. Then in PVP I used the same strategy but always had a hard time with dragon knights/nightblades coming too close. Now after spending some moments thinking it over I am sure I only managed/survived because I was (at least) 5 lvl higher than average players.

NOW: I will definetly stick with light armor because I need that mana. And now that switching weapons to react to a change in situation came to my attention I will go with the following:
1st set: Resto staff with lots of heals +Nova ultimate
2nd set: 1H/Shield with control abilities from Aedric Spear/Invastion from 1H/Shield

I want to heal/buff the **** out of my team from a safe distance and when I can not avoid melee combat I gain survivability with 1h/shield and just try to knockdown/disable my enemy as long as needed to get out of the situation so i can concentrate on further supporting/healing.

I still have the problem to figure out what some effects mean (maybe you can clarify
- Stun is my enemy able to move but just slower? is my enemy able to cast spells?
- Snare
- Knockback (unable to move but also unable to cast?duration?)
- Disorient (maybe blurred screen for enemy? can he cast? can he move?)
- Set off balance

Keep on sharing builds, it is inspiring
02/18/14, 08:18 PM   #12
Holylifton

Here's my healer build. I'm quite certain it will change over time. As I mentioned in a different thread, I hadn't reached lvl 10 yet and at one time or another, I had hit the cap on max magika and magika regen and I'm pretty sure this build will cap out on both as well. Once that happens, I'm going to move skill points into skills that boost Health and Health regen to try and take the squishiness out of me. I found that I was able to get out of the soft cap penalty box simply by swapping two pieces of light armor for heavy.

http://www.esohead.com/calculator/sk...KTzj8zL7McK4PZ

Wave at me if you see me in Cyrodiil.
02/18/14, 08:31 PM   #13
Holylifton

- Stun Enemy is immobilized
- Snare Enemy movement is slowed a certain percentage
- Knockback Enemy is thrown a certain distance away
- Disorient Enemy can't move but damage breaks the effect
- Set off balanceFrom what I can tell, this is another stun

Last edited by Holylifton : 02/19/14 at 08:44 PM.
02/19/14, 02:44 AM   #14
TopfliteB

Originally Posted by fishyyy View Post
Hi guys
I also played Templar as main char until lvl 20 PVE and PVP.

My Build WAS:
- Altmer for Mana boni (prefer Breton for the released Game now since I won´t use +15% dest. Staff exp but light armor)
- Copletely light armor for Mana
- Strong focus on restoring light/resto staff and at least one damage ability from dawns wrath
- Only Restoration staff

Playing in a Group of 4 in PVE I just needed to stay out of melee combat and heal from range. Worked out pretty well. Then in PVP I used the same strategy but always had a hard time with dragon knights/nightblades coming too close. Now after spending some moments thinking it over I am sure I only managed/survived because I was (at least) 5 lvl higher than average players.

NOW: I will definetly stick with light armor because I need that mana. And now that switching weapons to react to a change in situation came to my attention I will go with the following:
1st set: Resto staff with lots of heals +Nova ultimate
2nd set: 1H/Shield with control abilities from Aedric Spear/Invastion from 1H/Shield

I want to heal/buff the **** out of my team from a safe distance and when I can not avoid melee combat I gain survivability with 1h/shield and just try to knockdown/disable my enemy as long as needed to get out of the situation so i can concentrate on further supporting/healing.

Keep on sharing builds, it is inspiring
Nice thinking here mate! I too played a Templar Healer/Mage, only got mine to 18 though.

I too hit the soft cap on magicka and regen and I like your idea of swapping out a few pieces of light armor for heavy. In light of these thoughts, and because it does a little to scratch the itch....

A possible build for my secondary skill bar- Sword and board, 5 Light Armor 2 Heavy Armor
02/19/14, 05:48 AM   #15
fishyyy
Originally Posted by TopfliteB View Post
Nice thinking here mate! I too played a Templar Healer/Mage, only got mine to 18 though.

I too hit the soft cap on magicka and regen and I like your idea of swapping out a few pieces of light armor for heavy. In light of these thoughts, and because it does a little to scratch the itch....

A possible build for my secondary skill bar- Sword and board, 5 Light Armor 2 Heavy Armor
Lol I still have so many things to talk about. Get ready:

@TopfliteB: Crippling Slash and Invasion as 1H/Shield abilities are perfect. I will definetly put them in.
I also had an eye on Power Slam. Up to 15s Disorient, holy sh**. This would give a perfect possibility to get away (although I assume in XvX PVP the effect will be broken after 3 seconds or so because there are usually a lot of players around).

Not sure about Vampires Bane. I know it is a good single DPS spell. Did you choose it because it is relatively cheap?

I assume you will use Total Dark in case your enemy is a frequent caster. I am not convinced with this skill (for my build of course) and would exchange it with another Aedric spear or healing ability.

Biting Jabs is again good for damage. In my case I would replace it with Focused Charge. Just not sure bc I dont understand the description. Does it only stun if the enemy is interrupted while casting or is he stunnded in every case?

Crescent Sweep is awesome bc you can more or less spam it as your Ultimate. BUT look at the radius (only 5m). I would exchange it because this one only makes sense if you want to stick around your enemy long enough to deal serious damage. As a mostly light-armored Templar I assume you dont want that. Better to leave damage dealing to the DPS builds
Not many ultimates left then. Personally I would go with Solar Prison as I am almost sure that synergy will be used a lot when playing with more advanced/serious/intelligent people. 300 Ultimate is super high though (oh well at least you can cast it from distance)

Some general things here:
- More stamina based abilities on your second bar gives you magica a perfect time to regenerate without need to stop casting If not under attack I would use my magaica pool, switch to stamina pool, empty it, switch back to magica. Much coordination but woth it

- I also touched the magica caps (which I found pretty low). I think what Holylifton and TopfliteB said is the perfect concept: 5 light and 2 heavy armor pieces. And with other passive boni you will still be able to get to that cap
From experimentation with the craftig simulator it may be best to make your Cuirass and Shoes/Helmet/Shoulder to Heavy Armor since they give the best Armor (from Lvl 26 onwards).

- I have a question about the Siege Shield. Does the Siege Weapon Shield only protect Siege Weapons or also your Allied Players? The description seems to contradict itself. IF it reduces up to 90% also for my allies I will definetly morph this one.
I found the other morph interesting as well. Think about a group of defending Archers on Siege Walls each being protected by one healer that holds Propelling Shield. Not sure how far the maximum distance from Archers is but I think they get to Around 35m which can be boosted to 42m with the shield. Huge advantage if you can attack your enemy and he doesnt

- Very general but: How does Ultimate Points charge up? Only by dealing damage?
02/19/14, 07:53 AM   #16
Liamwulf

Premium Member
I started playing around with a healing build in last beta using cloth and resto staff and found it was NOT fun or easy to level with. Toward the end of the weekend I switched to a 2 hander and found that I was able to kill things faster. With that in mind I have switched gears in my thinking and want to build out a heavy armor 2 handed wielding Highelf temp.

Here is my build. WIP

http://esohead.com/calculator/skills...xLDo8zf7MMDVRH

The skills shown in the action bar are for DPS/Leveling mode.

Concentrating on maxing out the few areas for larger magika pool and faster recovery is my key. I want to be in the mix. . fighting and healing the whole time. If and when there are times I need to stand back and be more cautious I will switch to a resto staff.

Mind you this is completely in a PVE mindset. I have not taken many if any snare or knock back abilities for PVP. . I might have to adjust my build if I get into taking him into FvF.
02/19/14, 01:27 PM   #17
TopfliteB

Liamwulf, That seems to be a fairly solid build plan you've got there. Decent dps, but I do think you could switch out Purifying Light. I messed around with it last Beta and found it only really useful against a Boss. If you're still fighting a single mob after 6-10 seconds, either it's a Boss or you need to run for the hills. To replace it, I would suggest Uppercut or one of it's morphs from the 2h skill tree. Adds a little CC ability to the build as well as more damage

fishyyy, yeah the 1h build I posted is mere conjecture right now so I don't know how it would fit in with my normal play style, but I do want to keep Vampire Bane in there for some range. I don't now how many times in PvP I'd get an enemy down to very little health and they'd run, only to get a does of that spell right in the back.

As for Total Dark, aye it's more of an anti-magic shield and I considered using Rushed Ceremony or Restoring Aura or one of their morphs in that slot. I'm a fan of Biting Jabs in general, I like it's dps/MP and the interrupt/knockback is nice. I don't see myself putting Focused Charge in there as I wouldn't use 2 charge abilities, but I can see how it would come in handy against a target trying to stay at range.

And yeah, I'm a HUGE fan of Nova and it's morphs too! But for an "up close and personal" off-build I think Crescent Sweep will come in handy. If I need range, I'll switch back to my main skill line and drown the bugger in spells!

In regards to Siege abilities, I didn't use them myself but I did benefit from those others used. Siege Shield does protect from both ranged abilities "ie: spells, bows and staffs" as well as Siege Equipment. It is vulnerable though to enemies waling through it and wailing on you.

And Ultimate Points charge per damage AND healing that is done :P
02/19/14, 02:08 PM   #18
Liamwulf

Premium Member
Originally Posted by TopfliteB View Post
Liamwulf, That seems to be a fairly solid build plan you've got there. Decent dps, but I do think you could switch out Purifying Light. I messed around with it last Beta and found it only really useful against a Boss. If you're still fighting a single mob after 6-10 seconds, either it's a Boss or you need to run for the hills. To replace it, I would suggest Uppercut or one of it's morphs from the 2h skill tree. Adds a little CC ability to the build as well as more damage
Sounds like a good plan. I had not taken into account the 6-10 seconds on that and the uppercut with the morph for extra damage could be rather useful.
02/19/14, 08:44 PM   #19
Holylifton

Putting a single point into soul trap is worth it IMO. You need soul gems to recharge your enchanted weapons and to be able to respawn on the spot instead of having to hoof it back from a shrine or spawn point. You can buy 10 empty soul gems for the same price as one filled soul gem. In the end, that can save you a ton of money and make life much easier.
02/21/14, 03:47 PM   #20
Kelnoreem
I noticed most of these Templar builds are heavy in using Magicka, which makes sense, but no one has mentioned using the Fighter Guild Stamina based Silver Bolts for when Magicka is low and Stamina is still high.

On my way to level 15 I found a need an extra damage skill that uses stamina so all magicka would constantly be funneled into healing/Dawns Wrath. Silver bolts has been a fantastic skill and of against Daedric/Undead (which a lot of enemies are) it keeps them in basically an endless knockdown.

Has anyone else tried this?

ESOUI » General Discussion » Class Discussions » Templar Talk: Builds, Weapons and Experiences