03/28/14, 11:35 PM   #1
tarot

Red face Advice: Make me a warlock spec!

Hi everyone. New to the forums and was wondering if anyone could link me, or give me a few ideas, on a spec that would mimic a warlock in WoW. I am looking for any instants, DoTs, pets, and the ability to take on groups. I plan to solo level, and would respec later for PvP... so looking for something that would work well for the sololeveling experience.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts... and I hope I'm not cluttering the forums with these inquiries.

So far all I know is High Elf Sorcerer.

Thanks,
Tara.

Last edited by tarot : 03/28/14 at 11:38 PM.
03/29/14, 04:09 AM   #2
Lonyn
I my experience of warlock is Dots and more Dots, then a few curses and of course more dots
03/29/14, 12:32 PM   #3
Vuelhering
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by tarot View Post
Hi everyone. New to the forums and was wondering if anyone could link me, or give me a few ideas, on a spec that would mimic a warlock in WoW.

[...]

So far all I know is High Elf Sorcerer.
You're thinking about it wrong.

You said "here's what I want", then you immediately eliminated 75% of the valid choices because you made presupposition that Sorc was the only valid choice.

You had it right before you said that.

I'll take a look and see if I can come up with a build or two, but I'm ignoring race reqs (you can make it anything, but high elf is probably good), and I'm ignoring sorceror req (although it might still be a sorc).

As a warlock in WoW, my build in ESO will be based on a dragonknight. It won't have pets, but it will have dots, lots of fire spells, and a few other tricks.

Last edited by Vuelhering : 03/29/14 at 12:34 PM.
03/29/14, 01:17 PM   #4
Vuelhering
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Regarding wow warlocks, here's some of the things you can think about that are similar:

Sorceror:
permanent pets
escapes
aoe
lifetap (actually, stamina to mana)
roots and snares
disorient (like succubus charm)

Nightblade
drain health
aoe drains
DOTs
escapes
aoe fear
disorient

Dragonknight
fire aoe
aoe drain health
DOTs and more DOTs
roots and snares
knockbacks and stuns
Wings. Can leap like a metamorphed warlock. Oh yeah.

Templar
dunno... haven't really studied them much

Pet control is pretty limited, but if you're a fan of demonology, then go for Sorc. It's the only one with a pet. If you're a big fan of affliction, go for nightblade - they have a lot of drains and bleeds, but they have to be a lot closer to the action (just like how drain life used to be short range). Destruction is very much like the dragonknight who has tons of aoe fire abilities, but sorc has some decent aoe ability when combined with staff. As far as solo levelling, DK will own groups more than any other class. But a well-played sorc is incredibly hard to kill and almost as good at groups. Nightblades are not good at groups in general (ignoring weapon specific aoes) but are also tough to get your grubby mitts on because they're slippery.

The only think I know about templars it they have an entire healing line, and they have some powerful single target skills, but they are very much the opposite of the feel of warlocks.

Here's a DK firey build. I plan on making mine a little more warlocky with drains.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBzZYXqZCPA

Here's a NB drainer, but more of a test (not tuned with race) and not as effective, but I think it can be once you match it well to weapons and race. I think Force could've made this feel more like a warlock than it does, but again this was just a test he was doing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFnKo1eMMHE

I don't find many high-level demonology sorc-style things. In fact, I almost never see pets out at high level, so I don't know if that means anything or not. But here's a kind of crazy farming video, and you can find many more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYhx4TeIyEY

Last edited by Vuelhering : 03/29/14 at 01:19 PM.
03/29/14, 05:03 PM   #5
tarot

Thanks, some interesting ideas here.

I guess I really shouldn't limit myself to a race or class, I have to get used to, for lack of a better cliche term... thinking outside the box with this game.

Learning a lot.

Last edited by tarot : 03/29/14 at 05:09 PM.

ESOUI » General Discussion » Class Discussions » Advice: Make me a warlock spec!