03/03/22, 12:41 AM   #1
Tatila
[REQUEST] Ultimate gamepad icon reflecting rebinds

As is, the gamepad action bar icon for the Ultimate ignores whatever non-default binding you assign to it. It always shows the default LB+RB, in a non-standard way, with the icon for each of the buttons in the left and right corners respectively, no matter what you bind it to.
In fact, even if you leave the ultimate unbound for the gamepad, it still shows LB and RB.

Conversely, if you attempt to use the keyboard with the gamepad UI, it does show whichever keyboard key you assigned to it, with it empty if you leave it unbound.

Through https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info...nTextures.html I could see that RedirectTexture affected it, but it seems to be through it's effects on the LB and RB textures individually. Testing DarkUI, which also has Playstation gamepad icons as an option, had the same result.

Would it be even possible to make it so that the Ultimate gamepad icon reflected gamepad binding changes?

I post this as a request, but just getting pointed to any likely direction, if there is any, would already be greatly appreciated!
03/03/22, 02:42 AM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hey Tatila,
RedirectTexture often troubles and still shows "old textures" if you do not logout and delete the file live/shader_cache.cooked!
Did you try this already? Maybe it just does not visually update properly for you.

Or did you test this without any addon enabled + shader_cache.cooked file deleted? Normally the keybinds "do change", even the ultimate keybind at GP input mode.

So I assume this is just the visual RedirectTexture "cached Texture" bug which I have explained at https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info...nTextures.html description page too.

I'd logout, delete the file, login, disable all addons at the character selection screen via the checkbox above the addons!
Then login and try if the keybind change works properly and updates the gamepad UI keybind assigned.
03/03/22, 02:32 PM   #3
Tatila
I did do the quitting the game and removing live/ShaderCache.cooked thing! Both to try out FCO Gamepad Button Textures, and to try out DarkUI, both of which I tried in hope that whatever they did to the icons, also fixed this.
In all cases, the ultimate was already bound to HoldLT+RT, since these rebinds are among the first things I do with every character.

I just tried quitting after rebinding it to Y+B, removing ShaderCache.cooked, and upon launch it also shows LB and RB. I then tried it while leaving it unbound and removing ShaderCache.cooked, to the same result.
(And these shaders sure take their time to cook, the game takes much longer to load for me after removing them.)

All other gamepad rebindings that I did were reflected immediately, by the way, with no need to clean this ShaderCache. Both in the action bar, and in the tutorials for interrupting and such.

Am I alone in the gamepad UI behaving like this?

I even googled around for screenshots, trying to find any evidence of the ultimate in the gamepad action bar showing anything other than LB/RB or L1/R1, and found that in some old PS4 screenshots, it shows nothing, just the square for the ability, like it does on PC if you use kb+m and the gamepad UI with the ultimate unbound.
Which would honestly already be a genuine improvement for me and something I wish I could do, since it's seeing the wrong binding that messes with my head.
03/03/22, 03:58 PM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Okay, thanksf or your test and update.
Just one more idea: Does it behave the same if all addns are disabled or does the UI reflect your changed keybindings at the GP ultimate slot properly then?
Forgive me if you had answered this already, but I cannot find it in your posts.

Just to find out if this is a vanilla UI bug, then Zos needs to fix this and you shoudl use the /bug section ingame. But we can try to forward this to ZOs via this forum too.

If it does not happen then it must be one of your addons causing this, maybe DarkUI?
03/04/22, 01:35 PM   #5
Tatila
Yup, unfortunately it's the behavior with no add-ons for me. It took me a while to even start installing add-ons. My experiments were made without, and I only used DarkUI and FCO Gamepad Button Textures briefly while testing if they did anything for it.

I should have explained myself better, sorry.

I saw it as being a vanilla UI bug from the start, and after researching a bit, I saw no mention of it, so I assumed that it was a very longstanding issue, that survived this long by a combination of the seemingly lower usage of the gamepad UI on PC, and the preponderance of people who don't mess with keybindings, particularly among those who use gamepads.
Of course, this was just an assumption, it could very well be a recent issue, or one that is just affecting me in particular.

My understanding of these things is very very shallow, but it seemed to me that the ultimate bar icon was just taking the individual LB and RB textures, vanilla or not, and using them if the gamepad UI and input were both active, with no conditionals for reflecting non-default bindings, like the main action bar has.

So I hoped that maybe there was something in the framework of UI modding that would allow fixing this issue. My hope for it being fixed by the actual developers of the game was so small, that going that route didn't even cross my mind. I guess I'm more used to things being fixed by modders.

And honestly, seeing stuff like the outright removal of gamepad UI scaling, which was an issue I researched before this one, made me feel like the gamepad UI is a very low priority. The rebinding of it in general is already pretty limited, with which buttons and combinations are allowed being very arbitrary. Not letting me rebind the gamepad Ultimate at all anymore would definitely be an easier solution to the issue of "The Ultimate doesn't graphically reflect it's binding", than messing with the code for which icons are shown. Much like fixing whatever issues arose from scaling was harder than removing it. So that worries me a bit. Gamepad UI scaling remains removed, despite what little outcry it got, and that definitely affected more people than the issue I'm facing.

But you're correct, this is something that would be for ZoS to fix, and it's to them I should appeal to.
Thank you for your patience. Sorry for my extremely long-winded responses.
03/05/22, 03:14 AM   #6
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
No problem, I appreciate any info I can get about this issue.
I'll have alook at the code, maybe I can find something. But if I remember correctly the keybinds tuff is kina protected, not sure anymore.
If it's only the UI's "LB RB" text showing wrong there might be a way to fix this (for me it sounds like there must be and that ZOs should have done this already, if this is a long-time-known bug). But maybe there is no "easy fix" and thus noone ever did it
03/06/22, 11:04 AM   #7
Tatila
It's funny, you can still see HoldLT+RT assigned to the ultimate in the menus for assigning skills and such.

There's no game-based remapping for console, your only option there is remapping at the console level, so what I theorize happened is that since they went with showing the action bar ultimate with LB and RB in each corner, instead of the existing LB+RB icon, they never got around to programming how it would look for other mappings.
The population of PC gamepad users, that both rebind their ultimate, and care about the correct binding being reflected, might be very small.

It's a simplistic oversight, but not the only one for gamepad remapping. Now that I got to level 15, I tried remapping weapon swapping to DPad Up, and realized that when I used DPad Up to navigate menus, my character kept swapping weapons every time I pressed up. No such issue with the default mapping, which is using the quickslot item.

But anyway, thanks again for the attention lent!

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » [REQUEST] Ultimate gamepad icon reflecting rebinds