09/25/19, 06:38 PM   #1
LtSnowballin
Angry Minion not launching

I used minion for like a year, then it suddenly stopped working. It launches, B U T only in task manager, so I see it in there, but no where else.

I've tried reinstalling, deleting all files (regedit files too), tried running the Java thing for it, making my own script to launch it, checked my firewall (and I don't use an antivirus so nothing there). I've tried to my knowledge EVERYTHING. Yet, I am unable to get it to launch, oh! It also only shows me a log with ""INFO 2019-09-25 19:07:59,365 [JavaFX Application Thread] gg.minion.Minion:start(43): Attempting to start Minion..."" and nothing else. I have also tried MULTIPLE different versions of Java, yes deleting the older versions when I do it, and now back to the newest version. I have NO idea what to do next and hoping someone can help me. I am tired of reinstalling new addon versions manually every patch, it's driving me mad with a patch like every other week and 60 addons. Thank you for the time.
09/26/19, 09:40 AM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Did you try the 32bit version already? Post your log file here please, maybe one can see if it's and addon which interferes. Did you backup and delete the Minion.xml file already and tried if this helps? If it only loads to task manager, do you also see the icon in the task tray? Right click it and choose reset window position.
09/26/19, 09:47 AM   #3
LtSnowballin
There is nothing except the ""INFO 2019-09-25 20:37:15,250 [JavaFX Application Thread] gg.minion.Minion:start(43): Attempting to start Minion..."" in my log. There is no XML. There is no picture in my tray. I have tried both 32 and 64 bit too. Removing all addons also dr oes not let it start. It only appears in my task manager.
Attached Files
File Type: log minion.log (468 Bytes, 352 views)
09/26/19, 01:40 PM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Sorry i'm not using the java version. Are you able to check if the 32bit exe file works for you, started as administrator/with priviledged rights, and add it to windows defender whitelist (even if not using it, or any other antivirus and firewall tools used).

For the java version check if you did download the official Minion java zip file containing the minion.jar AND the library folders and extarct ALL of the contents to the same directory (or maybe get this java library here which is mentioned in the log files multiple times:
Jansi is not installed, cannot find org.fusesource.jansi.WindowsAnsiOutputStream
).
09/26/19, 01:57 PM   #5
LtSnowballin
32 bit

I downloaded the 64 and 32 bit version of minion, even downloading the java version does nothing, yes I've tried EVERY compability mode, and administrator privilege, nothing works. I am unsure what to do about the Jansi not being installed thing.

Edit: I installed Jansi in both my java folder AND even put it in the ext folder for Minion too, still only appearing in my task manager, trying to launch it from the 32bit launcher in admin mode.

Last edited by LtSnowballin : 09/26/19 at 02:19 PM.
09/27/19, 11:45 AM   #6
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Any system try icon showing where you can right click and choose "reset windo position" or similar from?
09/27/19, 06:17 PM   #7
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
After several stuff tried this fixed it as "workaround":
Run Minion from another windows account and transfer the files from account B to A afterwards.
Somehow the Java installation of Account A (or some other software setup) made Minion not work, but a fresh account on Windows let it work properly somehow.

Last edited by Baertram : 03/24/20 at 03:45 AM.
03/23/20, 11:07 PM   #8
buffhunt
Unhappy An ongoing saga

Sorry to revisit an old problem. But I can't get Minion to run. I've worked through the list of suggestions in the Sticky. I've read the other threads and tried their solutions. I tried running the Java version, yet still nothing works.

In my case, it creates the".minion" folder but I have no minion.xml of minion.log files. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I have missed?
03/24/20, 03:46 AM   #9
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Try to install Minion to another folder not located at c:\users (if possible).
Are you using any non-latin characters in your windows username?

Did you add minion and the folder to the whitelist of windows defender and other antivirus + firewall tools?
03/24/20, 11:13 PM   #10
buffhunt
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post

Did you add minion and the folder to the whitelist of windows defender and other antivirus + firewall tools?
Thanks for the reply. I've done the windows defender bit, I even tried disabling it and installing and running Minion. I'll give the other location suggestion a shot and report back.
03/24/20, 11:16 PM   #11
buffhunt
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post

You sir, are a bloody legend. I installed it on my D:\ drive where Steam is installed and I am in business. Much appreciated.

ESOUI » Site Forums » Minion » Minion not launching