08/15/18, 03:56 PM   #1
BoarGules

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Guild Hall Button: translators wanted for tiny project

If you are prepared to take on a very small project (currently 26! messages) please reply.

This is a GetText-style translation project. You add translations to a .po (portable object) file, which is a structured textfile. You can download a nice tool called Poedit to do this. It's available for Mac and Windows and the basic version is free. But if you've done this sort of thing before you can of course use whatever tool you know and like.
08/16/18, 04:56 AM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I'm not interested in installing any tools, sorry.
But if you need assistance with translation of the 26 strings I'll help to translate it to german.
Just put the texts here into a [ code ] block.
08/16/18, 05:32 PM   #3
SlippyCheeze
Originally Posted by BoarGules View Post
If you are prepared to take on a very small project (currently 26! messages) please reply.

This is a GetText-style translation project. You add translations to a .po (portable object) file, which is a structured textfile. You can download a nice tool called Poedit to do this. It's available for Mac and Windows and the basic version is free. But if you've done this sort of thing before you can of course use whatever tool you know and like.
I'm curious what you are using gettext for; do you have some lua implementation of it or something going on, for an addon?
08/17/18, 12:46 AM   #4
Mouton

There are some online PO editors : (ie. https://localise.biz/free/poeditor)
No need to download anything
Can help for French.
08/17/18, 09:08 AM   #5
SlippyCheeze
Note that the PO file format itself is actually fairly simple, structured data, and could easily enough be hand-edited...
08/17/18, 02:05 PM   #6
BoarGules

SlippyCheeze: This is for the Guild Hall Button add-on.

I know that .po files can be hand-edited but that strikes me as state-of-the-art 1998 and isn't something I'd ask a volunteer to do, because I wouldn't want to do it myself.

The ESO approach to internationalization is catgets-style, which I heartily dislike. So I'm emulating gettext, and asking volunteers to work with .po files that I then convert into xx.lua files. That way I, and they, get the convenience of gettext, at the small cost of writing a .po file parser.

There are nice tools for .po files, but I haven't found anything remotely comparable for catgets catalogues.
08/17/18, 02:28 PM   #7
sirinsidiator

I actually use gettext for quite some time now to handle the translations in AwesomeGuildStore. I even wrote a tiny library and some scripts to convert back and forth between the po format and lua. The translations are then done in the free online translation tool zanata.
If there is interest I could release that library and the scripts to ESOUI.
08/17/18, 04:24 PM   #8
SlippyCheeze
Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
I actually use gettext for quite some time now to handle the translations in AwesomeGuildStore. I even wrote a tiny library and some scripts to convert back and forth between the po format and lua. The translations are then done in the free online translation tool zanata.
If there is interest I could release that library and the scripts to ESOUI.
Wouldn't be a terrible idea, for sure. Seems like at least one user, hello BoarGules, is doing something similar. (and, BoarGules, I agree that hand-editing is a rather out-of-date mode.)

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Translation Help » Guild Hall Button: translators wanted for tiny project