08/20/19, 08:11 AM   #1
Procrastinarian
Moving backups between 2 computers

Hi.

I play ESO on both a laptop and a desktop. I'd like to keep any changes I make on one easily when i move over to the other. I thought I could accomplish this with backups, but it's not working.

For example:

I make a backup on my laptop. I name it "Laptop 8-20" and it is backed up. I go into the .minion folder. I copy both the zip and the .txt with that name. I move them over to my desktop. I launch minion on my desktop. It recognizes the backup but when I click restore... nada. Nothing happens.

Is there something locking the backup into one computer? Is backup just not working now? Any chance on a sync feature?

Thanks.
08/20/19, 09:45 AM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Backup sometimes got problems.
Dunno why.

I'm just copying the total .Minion folder and the AddOns + SavedVariables folders (which you can find by searching for the file "AddOnSettings.txt" -> Should be the same folder as .minion but then in the subfolder Elder Scrolls Online) to an USB drive or into a cloud account and restore it from there if I switch computers.

btw Minion backup is NOT backing up your addons in total but just create a zip file with some information which were installed + maybe the SavedVariables. So you would need to restore the backup and check if the addons restored need to be downloaded on the other computer via Minion then (maybe Minion does this automatically, not sure).
08/23/19, 09:33 AM   #3
Procrastinarian
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Backup sometimes got problems.
Dunno why.

I'm just copying the total .Minion folder and the AddOns + SavedVariables folders (which you can find by searching for the file "AddOnSettings.txt" -> Should be the same folder as .minion but then in the subfolder Elder Scrolls Online) to an USB drive or into a cloud account and restore it from there if I switch computers.

btw Minion backup is NOT backing up your addons in total but just create a zip file with some information which were installed + maybe the SavedVariables. So you would need to restore the backup and check if the addons restored need to be downloaded on the other computer via Minion then (maybe Minion does this automatically, not sure).
Yeah, I was pretty sure it was just backing up my addons by name and hopefully preferences, but it doesn't seem to work at all, in any way. I guess I'll just try saving every folder and moving them over. Thanks.
08/23/19, 10:38 AM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Someone gave me a hint:
Minion seems to backup the files into the following folder:
C:\Users\your windows username\.minion\minion-backups\ESO-1 (where ESO-1 is the Minion "game" of ESO, e.g. ESO-1 = live, ESO-2 = PTS)

But it tries to restore them from:
C:\Users\your windows username\.minion\ESO-1

So if you maybe copy the folder ESO-1 (or whatever your foldername is there starting with ESO) 1 folder upwards from minion-backups to .minion before trying to restore it, it may work.

Not tested yet.
03/15/20, 01:05 PM   #5
supergorila
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Someone gave me a hint:
Minion seems to backup the files into the following folder:
C:\Users\your windows username\.minion\minion-backups\ESO-1 (where ESO-1 is the Minion "game" of ESO, e.g. ESO-1 = live, ESO-2 = PTS)

But it tries to restore them from:
C:\Users\your windows username\.minion\ESO-1

So if you maybe copy the folder ESO-1 (or whatever your foldername is there starting with ESO) 1 folder upwards from minion-backups to .minion before trying to restore it, it may work.

Not tested yet.
I just tested this and it seems to be working.
You will need to have the ESO-1 folder duplicated with your backup on both folder locations you provided.
It needs to be on the minion-backups folder for it to be shown on the Minion UI so you can click the restore button and,
it needs to be on the .minion folder so that Minion can do what needs to be done and restore your backup.

Last edited by supergorila : 03/15/20 at 06:09 PM.
09/09/20, 02:39 AM   #6
Lonestar166
Originally Posted by supergorila View Post
I just tested this and it seems to be working.
You will need to have the ESO-1 folder duplicated with your backup on both folder locations you provided.
It needs to be on the minion-backups folder for it to be shown on the Minion UI so you can click the restore button and,
it needs to be on the .minion folder so that Minion can do what needs to be done and restore your backup.
Thank you for sharing this information. I followed your advice, and this is the first time I have been successful at restoring my Addons.
09/09/20, 08:40 AM   #7
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
A manual backup is also possible and easy:
Be sure to logout before!
Just copy the whole users/.../documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live folder to another place and you got all addons, SavedVariables, screenshots etc. backuped.
You'll find the folder like explained here:
https://www.esoui.com/forums/faq.php..._howto_install

You can also manually copy the sub-folders like AddOns, SavedVariables if you do not want to backup all data inside the live folder.

Do the same for the PTS folder if you play on the public test server as well.

ESOUI » Site Forums » Minion » Moving backups between 2 computers