08/02/14, 03:09 PM   #21
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
I do notice something off with the buildid of the current exe available for download.

Can you uninstall Minion (choose to delete your .minion folder) , then navigate to the install folder and delete anything left behind. Then try installing this version? http://cdn.mmoui.com/minion/Minion2.0.11b-beta.exe
08/02/14, 03:12 PM   #22
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
The problem is Minion isn't even getting to the point of game detection to tell if you have WOW installed or not. It loads those WOW feeds so it can learn how to detect the game on your system if you have it. However its not getting to that point. Minion should prompt and list games you'd like it to try and find. It's stopping just before that point.

Before the update on 7/31 when was the last time you used Minion?
08/02/14, 03:20 PM   #23
Teppotastic
No joy with the new DL. Also reporting the exact same build number. I made sure to delete all folders concerned and verified with a Mk I Eyeball.

I run Minion at least once a week, usually twice. I couldn't tell you exactly which day I ran it prior to 31/07 but I certainly would have on 25/07 or 26/07.

Will Minion get confused by my having both a Live and a Beta install of WoW?
08/02/14, 03:21 PM   #24
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Just to confirm you tried installing a previous version and it doesnt work (ignore update when using an old version)?

http://cdn.mmoui.com/minion/Minion2.0.10-beta.exe
http://cdn.mmoui.com/minion/Minion2.0.9a-beta.exe

are previous versions

Originally Posted by Teppotastic View Post
Will Minion get confused by my having both a Live and a Beta install of WoW?
Nope I have systems with both live and beta, and some with multiple copies of live, pts and beta. It should detect every copy. Like it said its not even getting to that point where it would even start to detect anything. Which makes me think something is changing the data coming from the API (adding extra compression?), timing out or limiting the amout of data.

So I would be very surprised if rolling back to a previous version would help.

Another thing to check when Minion is closed do you see any Minion.exe's under the process tab in your task manager?

Last edited by Dolby : 08/02/14 at 03:32 PM.
08/02/14, 03:39 PM   #25
Kraeius

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I have the same exact issue with these guys. I stuck at loading phase. After each stuck, I restarted minion and it could pass last phase of loading, I mean, If I stuck at Searching WoW addons, at second try I could see Searching ESO Addons etc. But of course, I couldn't go further.

Tried reinstalling and deleting xml, no luck. I haven't tried 2.0.11b though.
08/02/14, 03:39 PM   #26
Teppotastic
Tried them both with no joy now

So for the record I haven't changed my AV or Firewall software or indeed any software over the past couple of weeks. They haven't interfered in the past and I'm seeing no evidence of them doing so now. All in the Whitelist, no prompts etc.

I'd be surprised if the ISP was doing anything to it though, I'm on a 60Mbit fibre connection - they won't be worried about the odd API calls.

As for task manager - Minion occasionally (but not always) persists after I've closed it while it's stuck "Loading". On a purely anecdotal level, it seems more likely to persist in the TaskManager the longer I let it run. It's memory useage starts at around 200MB and slowly drops (with the odd wiggle) over time.
08/02/14, 03:45 PM   #27
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
2.0.10 was released July 9th and 2.0.9 was released on May 29th. Nothing has changed API wise since then so for me its really pointing to network issues possibly on our end or some where in the middle? If it was a problem with the software rolling back should fix it since you said it worked fine previously for you.

Minion in the logs for you shows its able to get a http status of 200 which is good when hitting our API server. I think it has to do with maybe the WOW filelist being so big and something is timing out or corrupting?

The people so far posting in this thread are all from over seas. I'm wondering if something is timing out with our API internationally.

Kraeius, anything interesting in your minion0.log?

Last edited by Dolby : 08/02/14 at 03:55 PM.
08/02/14, 03:55 PM   #28
Teppotastic
Thanks for your help today, I really appreciate it. Sadly I've got to hit the hay now. I'll check back here in 8-10 hours incase you need anything from me or have any more excellent ideas.

Otherwise, I'll wait and see what happens with the network issues. Fingers-crossed
08/02/14, 03:59 PM   #29
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Ok Teppotastic, thanks for sticking it out with me and helping me try and diagnose this issue.

I'll continue to work on this and check with our datacenter too.
08/02/14, 05:49 PM   #30
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
I was able to move some of our API to our content delivery network. Let me know if this works for you guys?
08/03/14, 01:06 AM   #31
Teppotastic
Progress! So, I'm still running a pre 31/07 version and logging in as Guest... but I've gotten further this time. It asked me if I wanted to back up my AddOns before proceeding and I thought "sure, why not?"... then it got stuck :P

I couldn't seem to get it that far again, so I updated back up to the latest version (as we figured that wasn't the issue anyway). And this time I've gotten to the prompt where it's asking to scan for ESO and WoW. I set it off just to scan for ESO, it detects some addons then just kinda sits there.

Uploading some files... a pic of where it's stuck now. And a log of the previous attempt that got me to the back-up of the Addons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	minion_latest.JPG
Views:	384
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	386  
Attached Files
File Type: txt cmd_output2.txt (576.4 KB, 439 views)
08/03/14, 01:32 AM   #32
Teppotastic
Originally Posted by Majeure View Post
That is about as far as mine loads for the most tries without VPN, to detect a few addons.. sometimes just stops at the first steps of loading, and then every so often it will actually load up now, also occasionally stop responding altogether during splash or loading.
Yeah, I get the occasional not-responding too now you mention it. The whole thing seems to be quite sporadic in it's progress now. I can load it up 4 times in a row and get to 4 different stages, it seems. Still better than this time yesterday but I haven't managed to get it fully loaded up yet.
08/03/14, 08:54 AM   #33
Teppotastic
Just giving it another test now. Got stuck on Detecting Addons now, looks like it's stopped pulling down a .json. I tested the .json in my browser and it worked fine
08/03/14, 10:44 AM   #34
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
One thing that might get you up and running is to remove the AddOns from your AddOn folder. Then Minion has to do less communication to our API as it doesn't have to try and figure out what everything is. During detection Minion makes multiple API calls per Addon to detect and even more if 1 AddOn has a match with several others in our database.

Then once Minion is fully loaded re-download the AddOns under "find more". It takes a lot less API calls to download/update something then it does to re-detect AddOns.

Further more we are moving datacenters in the next couple days which should improve our international traffic greatly. They have been proven to be much more responsive with our other sites on ZAM Network.

Last edited by Dolby : 08/03/14 at 10:46 AM.
08/03/14, 10:54 AM   #35
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
I just moved a few more API calls to our CDN. They are dynamic API endpoints so they won't really cache but the CDN server can act as a proxy providing a better connection. So if you haven't deleted your AddOns yet try again.
08/03/14, 11:32 AM   #36
Teppotastic
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
I just moved a few more API calls to our CDN. They are dynamic API endpoints so they won't really cache but the CDN server can act as a proxy providing a better connection. So if you haven't deleted your AddOns yet try again.
^^^ This didn't seem to make any difference.

I did remove all (dozen or so) the AddOns and that seemed to work... but only if I ran it via cmd-line using the java command. It actually didn't make a difference if I just ran it normally at that stage.

Now it's got through and I've re-DLed the AddOns I want to keep via the Find More panel, I can run it normally and it seems OK.

Soo... yay? It appears to be working OK right now. I'm not sure that's an actual solution but it's certainly a work-around I'm happy with.

I copied the previous set of AddOns to another folder so if you want, I'm happy to do some testing when you've moved to the new datacentre in a few days. Just to confirm that the root cause has been resolved.

Thanks for your help and patience, Dolby
08/03/14, 11:42 AM   #37
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Thanks for the update and I'm glad its working again.

The minion.xml holds the cache for all the addon & game detection, simply renaming that file or deleting it will trigger Minion to go into game / addon detection mode once restarted. So when we are finished moving everything I may have to do that.

There may have been multiple problems plaguing you, connection and maybe a bad addon? If you would like to test this rename your minion.xml and restart Minion. If it works and doesn't get hung upon detection then there is probably something in your old AddOn folder tripping up Minion too. If this is the case it would appreciate it if you could send me your old addon folder to [email protected].

If it failed to get Minion working again simply delete the new minion.xml and rename the old one back to minion.xml and restart Minion. This will restore the detection cache.

Thanks again for being so responsive and helpful!

Last edited by Dolby : 08/03/14 at 11:51 AM.
08/03/14, 12:02 PM   #38
Teppotastic
No worries - I'm a developer by trade, so this is just the kind of problem I like to poke at.

I went ahead and moved the xml file and it worked absolutely fine. So I've dropped you an email with my zipped up AddOns folder. Enjoy! :P

Thanks again and if you need anything else just drop me a message or reply to the email I sent the zip from.
08/03/14, 02:07 PM   #39
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
I see an issue right away with the libs folder. You have some of your librarie folders inside of another subfolder called libs which I think is tripping up Minion, since it looks at the folder name, then for a .txt with the same name not more folders. I'm going to create a ticket so we can make Minion at least ignore this and not crash when it encounters something like this.

There was also an addon that was in the root of the AddOn folder not inside a subfolder but I don't think Minion was choking on that one.

So I think there was 2 problems. The first was the API communication hanging / timing out. Once that was corrected our retooled addon detection process was hanging on the weird libs folder.

So I think moving our API to the CDN has helped. We just didn't know it right away because Minion was getting tripped up on that libs folder because the AddOn detection was being re-run.

Last edited by Dolby : 08/03/14 at 02:14 PM.
08/03/14, 02:23 PM   #40
Teppotastic
Interesting that SousChef did that. I think it's responsible for the libs folder too (by a quick look at SousChef.txt). I don't think I manually installed that any point but it's kind of looking like I must have. Weird.

I just loaded up Minion to check that I'd re-installed it. It's properly crashing (Not Responding) on "Loading ESO Addons" now. I suspect that's the API calls. Now the US has woken up it's probably getting a lot more traffic.

ESOUI » Site Forums » Minion » [BUG] Problems since 31/07 patch