03/31/14, 01:39 PM   #1
Lox

Minion wont start

Hi,

Looking for a bit of help please. I have installed Minion on recommendation from a friend but am having a bit of a problem.

When I try to start it I get two errors (below):

1) Error Loading jvm.dll

followed by

2) Failed to launch JVM

I have looked through another thread with the same problem, linked below, but it isn't working.

http://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372

I do have Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable installed (various versions for some reason), have uninstalled and reinstalled both the 32 and 64 bit versions as linked in the above thread but still get the same error. Any thoughts?

Using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

If you need / want more info please ask away.

Thanks
03/31/14, 01:53 PM   #2
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Thanks for the report. I'm talking with our Java programmer about this since you are the 2nd person to report that the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable didn't work for you.

I do have a few questions.
  1. Did the installation of Minion finish? When are you getting this error?
  2. (if finished)Where did you install Minion? Default location or custom?
  3. After you installed Minion did you move its location?
  4. When you get the error is the Minion splash screen graphic on your desktop or does it happen as soon as you click on the Minion icon?

These are all the questions I have right now but I'm sure there will be a few more soon.

Last edited by Dolby : 03/31/14 at 01:55 PM.
03/31/14, 01:58 PM   #3
Lox

Thanks for the reply, ask away and I appreciate it is under development etc so no biggy

1/2) Yes, the installer finished and I installed to the default location.
3) No, not moved or done anything with the installation.
4) Error occurs as soon as I start the program, no splash screen

As said, I have multiple entries of the redistributable in my Programs and Features (19 infact) covering various versions and Microsoft KB updates, don't know if that would affect anything.

Another point that might be relevant, when I first tried to install the Redistributable package from the MS link it told me I already had a newer version installed. I have since uninstalled that and installed the linked version on the other thread, still the same errors though I am afraid.

**Updated answers as you had updated with some additional questions **
03/31/14, 02:04 PM   #4
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Thanks for the additional information!

Could you take a screen shot or list those 19 redistributables?

I only have 11 on my machines so I'm curious.
03/31/14, 02:14 PM   #5
Lox

No problem, image below (hopefully)

My system could probably do with an overhaul / cleanup as I haven't done it since I got it a few years ago. I normally mess something up when I am tinkering with stuff, then end up doing complete reinstalls but haven't really broken anything on this one yet!
03/31/14, 02:17 PM   #6
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Thanks, I'll install these on my machine and see if I can reproduce the problem. Will also share this with our Java programmer and see what he has to say.

I'll let you know as soon as we can find a solution to this.
03/31/14, 02:27 PM   #7
Lox

No problem and good luck
03/31/14, 02:36 PM   #8
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
I installed all the MS packages you have except for the 2005 ATL updates because I can only get ahold of the 2005 v8.0.61001 not the older version you have installed. Minion still works for me. Maybe its something with that out dated version of the 2005 redist interfering with something in the 2010 version? I'll ping my java dev to ask.

So if you feel adventurous you could either try removing all the 2005 versions altogether or updating it to v8.0.61001 so that you don't need the 2005 ATL update.

Also that updated 2010 should have been fine (I'm running 10.0.40219 on mine), not sure why the link installed an older version for you. Either version I have confirmed works though.

It's also possible this is not the cause.

Last edited by Dolby : 03/31/14 at 02:41 PM.
03/31/14, 02:52 PM   #9
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Just got back with talking with our Java programmer and he asked if you could just remove the 2005 redist packages and try starting Minion. You may need to re-install the 2010.
03/31/14, 03:05 PM   #10
Lox

Will do.

As a side note, I have found that the 2010 redistributable 10.0.40219 is actual an SP1 update, which is available here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=26999

In true MS fashion, the downloaded file is exactly the same filename as the original version that I had installed but a different (smaller) file size!

I did uninstall the 2005 ATL updates with no success starting Minion, I have also now installed the same 2010 redistributable as you (as detailed above), still no joy unfortunately.

**EDIT**
I have uninstalled all the 2005 redistributables and unfortunately still get the same errors when attempting to run Minion.

I need to get off now as I am up early for work, ill pick up and answer any further replies tomorrow evening when I get back home. Thanks for the help so far

Last edited by Lox : 03/31/14 at 03:15 PM.
03/31/14, 03:41 PM   #11
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Thanks for all the information so far. We will continue to look into this as well.

When you have a chance try re-installing the 2010 version if you haven't already.
04/01/14, 12:21 PM   #12
Lox

HI,

I have uninstalled the latest redistributables (2010 32 and 64bit) then reinstalled them from the SP1 download to be the same version as you (rather than updating).

Have also redownload the Minion installer (2.01), deleted the appdata folder for Minion and reinstalled that.

Unfortunately no change, still getting the same error immediately when I try to run it!

Just to check, what version of Java should I be running? I currently have Java 7 Update 51 JRE and Java 8 JRE installed.

Last edited by Lox : 04/01/14 at 12:23 PM.
04/01/14, 12:39 PM   #13
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
You shouldn't even need java installed on your system. The exe creates a java virtual machine with our own version of java.

Talking with our java developer about your issues today again. See what we can come up with.

Very sorry this is happening.
04/01/14, 12:42 PM   #14
Lox

Dont worry

I do 'in house' software testing at work aswell so appreciate its often not easy. I just don't know much myself to really help with diagnosis! Happy to provide any feedback and info as required, if it helps.

I can't use it at the mo really anyway as my pre-order of the game has all been messed up so I haven't even got an early access key

Last edited by Lox : 04/01/14 at 12:45 PM.
04/01/14, 12:57 PM   #15
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Lox View Post
I can't use it at the mo really anyway as my pre-order of the game has all been messed up so I haven't even got an early access key
04/02/14, 09:21 PM   #16
RabidJoint
hey guys, im having the same problem as the original poster is. I only have 11 of the Microsoft Visual C++ on my computer ranging from years 2008-2012. I have tried the other solution on the other thread posted, but decided to come here because i am only getting those 2 error messages. I am downloading from http://minion.mmoui.com/. I installed it to default place, i havent moved it at all and i recieve the error right as i try to run the program. Just thought i'd let you guys know he's not the only one experiencing this problem. I dont understand why i am when i have 6 family members who all use it and had no problems with it. I also understand it's in Beta right now and might have these problems.
04/03/14, 12:50 PM   #17
Durdir
Ditto, here

I posted on the other thread that I was having the same issue with Minion. But, since this thread seems to be more active, I decided to post here as well. I have tried everything mentioned above, and got to thinking about why this is happening. It would seem that this problem could be related to hardware and not software. That being said, is it possible that these errors could only be attributed to people who use AMD machines? Just a thought. Good luck and thanks for all the help.
04/03/14, 01:06 PM   #18
Lox

Originally Posted by Durdir View Post
I posted on the other thread that I was having the same issue with Minion. But, since this thread seems to be more active, I decided to post here as well. I have tried everything mentioned above, and got to thinking about why this is happening. It would seem that this problem could be related to hardware and not software. That being said, is it possible that these errors could only be attributed to people who use AMD machines? Just a thought. Good luck and thanks for all the help.
Im running an Intel i5 (first gen)

Overall System specs for me are:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
Intel i5-650 CPU @ 3.2Ghz (Stock speed)
8Gigs RAM DDR3
NVidia SOC GTX470
MSI 2A9C Motherboard (This was a stock HP machine that I have upgraded)
1TB SATA HDD

Running Microsoft Security Essentials Antivirus.
Super AntiSpyware malware protection
04/03/14, 01:35 PM   #19
Durdir
My Computer

If anyone cares, here's my computer specs.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit SP1
Processor: AMD A10-5800K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, 3800 Mhz (stock speed)
8 Gigs of DDR3 RAM
Biostar System Model TA75MH2 Motherboard
1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue HD
Avast Anti-Virus
04/03/14, 01:57 PM   #20
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
One more stat I would like to see is what are you using for your default browser? Do you have any noscript plugins enabled or non default security settings? Non default proxy settings?
(Found that Minion will use network settings from the default browser.)

Thanks!

Last edited by Dolby : 04/03/14 at 02:00 PM.

ESOUI » Site Forums » Minion » Minion wont start