03/20/21, 08:22 AM   #1
DaSnowFangs

Arrow Updated Inv Filters

So I've been using Advanced Filters - Updated for a while now, but its pretty out of date and has depreciated libraries. Does anyone know if there is an alternative to this? I can't say I've noticed any bugs, but I'm sure there likely are I just don't see them. Thanks ^^
03/20/21, 08:50 AM   #2
Sharlikran

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Yes the current version you should be using is Advanced Filters - Updated by Baertram. I am sorry if you have an older non functional version. Make sure you get that exact version so you have one that is 100% updated to work with the current UI and API of the game. API meaning the games internal code. Using other versions will probably break your inventory screen. That seems to be what you were saying you had so that version will take care of it.

Many users feel there are outdated libraries but the libraries are going to be things like LibAddonMenu and those are by no means outdated. I know some users don't know how to install and manage mods but all the libraries used by Advanced Filters - Updated are current.

Now some mod authors do pack Libraries with their mod when they should not be doing that and that can cause conflicts users have to troubleshoot. I am sorry if you have not been successful at doing that. Most people like myself try to get authors to stop embedding libraries with the mods. Put yourself int he authors shoes though. Authors just want some peace and quiet and not hear complaints that the mod doesn't work when the user didn't even take the time to read the description page and install the required libraries. Never the less some authors do that and it causes conflicts and makes other up to date mods malfunction.

Now modules or plugins are different. Those are the things that add little options to Advanced Filters that it didn't come with. Some of them could still work but you would have to try them.

If they don't then don't express your discontent as if the original or the main part of the mod is not kept up to date, when it is.

Also remember Out of Date on the Addons list means pretty much nothing. Just for future reference it is being removed because people see that "Out of Date" and think it isn't updated or maintained.

Now if a Plugin doesn't work or you see errors then contact the author of the plugin and ask them to update it. If they don't respond, then your only option is to update it yourself, wait for someone else to do it, or go without it.
03/20/21, 09:33 AM   #3
DaSnowFangs

Originally Posted by Sharlikran View Post
Yes the current version you should be using is Advanced Filters - Updated by Baertram. I am sorry if you have an older non functional version. Make sure you get that exact version so you have one that is 100% updated to work with the current UI and API of the game. API meaning the games internal code. Using other versions will probably break your inventory screen. That seems to be what you were saying you had so that version will take care of it.
Greetings @Sharlikran!
Thanks for your response, I am using Advanced Filters - Updated, as mentioned in my initial post. Everything is working as far as I can tell as I do have all the correct Libraries installed, including the depreciated LibStub Might have been a little misunderstanding there, everything is in order.

I see what you're saying about out of date addons though, if the addon has your stamp of approval regardless of it being out of date and having depreciated libraries, then I'm happy. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't perhaps a more up to date and maintained version of the addon. Cheers!
03/20/21, 10:13 AM   #4
Sharlikran

When you say this:
Originally Posted by DaSnowFangs View Post
So I've been using Advanced Filters - Updated for a while now, but its pretty out of date and has depreciated libraries. Does anyone know if there is an alternative to this? I can't say I've noticed any bugs, but I'm sure there likely are I just don't see them. Thanks ^^
I understood it.

Just being as polite as I can. You know that what is available is the most up to date versions of everything. I even us Minion myself and I have nothing in it to update at this time. As long as you are using the most recent versions of the mods according to minion, then you have the current version.

Last edited by Sharlikran : 03/20/21 at 10:15 AM.
03/20/21, 12:22 PM   #5
DaSnowFangs

Indeed, what Minion doesn't do is pop up a message and say hey, someone did x addon better
03/20/21, 01:06 PM   #6
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
First to your question:
Somehow the addon AF must disturb you if you "ask about problems as you cannot find any"
Solution: Deinstall the addon if it's not the thing you like and use the vanilla UI. It provides filters now as well.

About AdvancedFilters:
Where is AdvancedFilters - Updated using LibStub?

I love it as users tell stuff about addons but do not understand how they, and the dependencies, work!
You do not see any errors so you ask for some? Maybe delete a file and check if you got one afterwards

btw: The only depencies that are outdated are the ones you install, as you handle the dependency installation

And the one that is not working/outdated and included is LibMotifCategories. But as it's only for an AF own plugin of the dropdown box:
There are tons of other addons supporting these kind of filters and auto markings for known/unknown motifs.
The dependency is just still included as it works for the older motifs, and that's all.

You see I'm pretty upset as I'm maintaining this addon. I cannot understand such postings like yours at all!
Everything works so you want to make it worse?
You cannot see errors so you search for them because anything ingame says "there must be errors!!!"?

I know you are new here, but this is exactly the reason one should inform themselves before posting!
And you obviously did not inform yourself BEFORE POSTING what "Out of date" means?
It does NOT mean "there are errors".
Read the forums about "what that effectively means" please before asuming something and asking for a cure where none is needed!
Thank you very much.

Edit:
I'm so glad that this out of date stuff will be gone with the next major patch! Boy, what problems and missunderstandings this simple checkbox and number comparison check raised in the past years...

Last edited by Baertram : 03/20/21 at 01:18 PM.
03/21/21, 01:02 PM   #7
DaSnowFangs

Thumbs up

What I should have done is simply ask "Hey, has anyone created a newer kind of Advanced Filters addOn?", since that is honestly all I was looking for. Like I mention in my original post, I'm just OCD that way, I like my mods/addons to be the best they can be, just on principal. If someone did something better, I want that thing instead, especially if it's more up to date and clean. That being said don't take that as me being uneducated on the topic of ESO Addons, because I am not.

I've done enough programming to know that just because something looks like it's working, doesn't mean its full functional and someone else can't or hasn't done it better. That is what I was looking for, if it doesn't exist yet then cool! It was my understanding that this thread in particular was the place to ask if anyone knew the answer to my above question, but it would seem that instead it attracts those who read far too deeply into my motive for simply wanting to know if there is a more up to date addOn for something. This wasn't some kind of attack on the integrity of the author either, and if it was received as such, they need to check their ego.

Excuse the hint of passive aggression here, but this did annoy me somewhat. I didn't need to be coached on what your versions of the meaning of up to date is, when I see last updated before 2020 and its late March 2021, I believe I am more than in a position to ask the question I did. But of course, who am I to say, I'm just new here, I don't know how things work. Tch.

I digress however and acknowledge that yea, I should have put the question a different way. I suppose we will consider the question answered, no there isn't anything better yet, and the addOn does work fully as intended. Do yourselves a favour and don't let it bother you any further, it'd only be at your own expense, not mine.

Cheers.

Last edited by DaSnowFangs : 03/21/21 at 01:14 PM.
03/21/21, 04:43 PM   #8
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Thanks for trying to bring this to a personal level with your answer, especially your last sentence. I'm not bothered and I'm not passively aggressive, but I get really much annoyed if I read such requests with false facts, spreading wrong information.

It's totally legit to search for new and better stuff.
But maybe rethink your writing the next time before and strip the non-sense! Thank you.

Too keep it short, you have summarized what you should have asked for, yourself:
What I should have done is simply ask "Hey, has anyone created a newer kind of Advanced Filters addOn?", since that is honestly all I was looking for.
True, would have made things more "clean" like you prefer your addons
And I wouldn't have answered the way I did.

Longer answer:
Well, this is the place to ask for addons and search + find them, correct. And yes, you have searched for an alternative.
And you also got the answer providing an alternative. In addition you could use Inventory Insight but it's another inventory approach, imo it's an "addition" to the normal inv.

But the way you did search, spreading wrong information and blaming the addon with wrong facts, was the thing that made me dislike your post:
...but its pretty out of date and has depreciated libraries...
... including the depreciated LibStub.
don't take that as me being uneducated on the topic of ESO Addons, because I am not.
I didn't need to be coached on what your versions of the meaning of up to date is, when I see last updated before 2020 and its late March 2021, I believe I am more than in a position to ask the question I did. But of course, who am I to say, I'm just new here, I don't know how things work. Tch.
1st: You always are allowed to ask but you need to remember:
As the question, so the answer

2nd: If you spread facts (again the wrong ones) try to use the real ones:
Last updated: 2020-11-29, 11:30pm

3rd: Your named arguments are simply not true. And if you would be educated on ESO addons, as you name it, you'd know this:
-Outdated and deprecated ESO addons and libraries are not defined by their last update date
-nor by their out of date APIVersion check in the txt file
-nor by dependencies that maye got moved to the outdated & discontinued section
If the addons work, they work! No matter if they last got updated in 2014, 2016 or 2021!

So yes, you got coached here, obviously for reasons.
I do not want to fight here, I'm just telling you how things work since 2014.
And if you think it has to work differently, you got the right to, but are simply wrong.

P.S.
I've done enough programming to know that just because something looks like it's working, doesn't mean its full functional and someone else can't or hasn't done it better.
You could read the sticky post in the addon comments where the known bugs are listed.
If you find any others I'd be glad to list them there as well, or maybe even fix them.

Last edited by Baertram : 03/21/21 at 04:46 PM.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » Updated Inv Filters