05/26/22, 05:38 PM   #1
TNTKokser

Mysterious PMs

Anybody can help me with this PMs? Three PMs with 2 gold attached. I don't know @Etanur. He is not in my guilds or friendlist. I don't find him here nor in the official ESO forum. I didn't sent anybody 2 gold 3 times. Is this a kind of phishing or something? I do not save the attachements, so I cannot delete the PMs. I could block him, but perhaps it is somebody I _should_ know.

05/26/22, 06:01 PM   #2
NeuroticPixels
Addon Addict

Premium Member
I've heard it's a way of getting people banned. If you accept the gold, you're considered guilty by association or whatever.
Whatever you do, don't accept the gold. And if you can, report them for being shady.
05/26/22, 06:24 PM   #3
TNTKokser

mhh, no idea what I should have done, I'm 90% solo player. Some could be banned by accepting attachements?

edit:
ok, I found some discussions about a ZOS mechanism to identify black market activities that will cause a ban. Perhaps this is a trick to let this mechanism ban me. But why and who should do that?? Perhaps to get my account unbanned with another identity and steal it somehow? This is really mysterious...

edit edit:
reported him. User was set to my ignore list by system. Let's see what and if ZOS will reply to the ticket.

Last edited by TNTKokser : 05/26/22 at 07:00 PM.
05/26/22, 07:05 PM   #4
Sharlikran

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I have not heard what NeuroticPixels is mentioning but I'm not going to say that it is false because they are an acquaintance of mine. Nor would I say that this won't happen because it seems like with poor communication, poor policies, and having to deal with thousands of users it could cause an issue that would seem unprecedented.

So for fishing, you can't fish in the literal sense like getting personal information. The color code in the subject is easy to do and you can manually type it with "|c" and the color code and end with "|r". That's not anything to be concerned with.

I would report one of the three mail to CS, return them to sender, and then change your password. After that I would not be concerned any further. If anything stupid happens then CS needs to provide a better explanation then normal or even I would have something to say regardless of the fact I have no sway over their decisions or policies.
05/26/22, 07:31 PM   #5
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Why should I get banned if someone sends me RETURN mails with 2 gold and I accept the gold and send the same amount back to the guys sending it e.g.?
Whatever this is, it looks anoying.

Are ingame mails send from users on the ignore list ignored too? I hope so
05/26/22, 07:51 PM   #6
NeuroticPixels
Addon Addict

Premium Member
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.co...1-gold-in-mail

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.co...ld-spam-attack

I found these two postings. I swear I read something on the forum within the past few weeks that someone had experienced something very similar. I recall people in the comments saying not to accept the gold and to report them. But unfortunately, I can't find the post. Maybe I read it on reddit?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
05/27/22, 05:04 PM   #7
TNTKokser

I did exactly what you mentioned. ZOS told me in a standard reply they will not tell me any results of their investigation due to personal rights. However, I pleased them to give some information about this mysterious issue itself but that I'm not interested in any information about the user and if he is banned or something. I'll let you know if and what they may reply.
05/28/22, 03:14 AM   #8
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Don't expect this to ever happen, at least I never got any information more than the automated email for any case (except addon related topics where we got contact persons).
05/31/22, 03:56 PM   #9
TNTKokser

Got an answer. They have no idea but will investigate it. "Keep the gold, you certainly won't get suspended for that."

Hmm. I will not touch it and wait until the PM will be returned
06/12/22, 12:59 PM   #10
TNTKokser

Solution:
I bought some riding lessons and experience scrolls from a crowns for gold seller to turbo level a new char. He sent the items via enroll PMs for 2 gold and didn't touch it. 30 days later they were returned to me.

ESOUI » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Mysterious PMs