01/27/20, 04:06 PM   #1
IanB
Journal Quest Log

I was/am getting annoyed seeing ! on my in-game map, going there, not finding a quest, so I installed Journal Quest Log and its Lib, looked like exactly what I needed, but I have a problem.
Let's take quest "To Altaire Castle" in Stormhaven as an example, on my map this shows up as a ! and the addon says it is not completed but when I go there I cannot find any quest-giver. So I look in the Wiki, this shows the predecessor quest as "False Accusations", this quest does NOT show on my map and the addon shows it as completed. So I look in the Wiki for the follow-up quest, this is shown as "Army at the Gates", again this does not show as a ! and is shown in the addon as completed.

How is this possible? How can the predecessor be complete, the follow-up be complete, but this quest not complete and no quest-giver available?
01/27/20, 05:39 PM   #2
ArtOfShred

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
There's a few old quests with optional pointer quest steps that can be skipped. Black Marsh is probably the worst of them with a bunch of exclusive pointer quests to the point where it's not possible to do them all iirc. Bangkorai has a good chunk as well, and there's a few in Auridon I can think of.

Unfortunately its not possible to do them if you miss them when they are available. Most are really out of way - there's a quest in Auridon you can start way up north that sends you all the way back to Vulkhel's watch but you can't do it after you finish the zone story in Vulkhel's watch.

EDIT: Also, in the specific case you mention I think the way that line in Stormhaven works is when you complete one of the zone story quests - both the main followup quest and a "breadcrumb quest" that's clear on the other side or the zone get unlocked. So you can do the breadcrumb quest if you find it but if you finish the main step then you can't go back and get the breadcrumb.

Last edited by ArtOfShred : 01/27/20 at 05:44 PM.
01/27/20, 06:25 PM   #3
IanB
Thanks Art, that's interesting even if it doesn't really help! As I said it's frustrating having these !s scattered around the map when there's no quest there. I'd like to be able to hide them so I don't keep wasting time running around trying to find the quest but it's difficult to know if another quest I may do might make any of them appear. It's hard to understand why they can't make it so that quests are always doable (once pre-requisites are completed) even if follow-up quests are already done.
01/28/20, 09:42 AM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Simple answer:
Nothing an addon can solve as the API provides the data that the quest is there, and if it isn't the API functions are returning wrong data.
One could maybe fix this ut I doubt an addon dev will collect all the data and circumstances, develop code to check where your currently logged in character is inside these circumstances to show or hide a quest marker.
This would be over the top, time consuming and annoying for the dev. And I'm pretty sure one couldn't even check all that without spending weeks of preparation to collect ALL circumstances, which might be even depending on other quests, and characters and races etc. -> putting this into a hardcoded table and keep it maintained.

So all that can be done is using the API fucntions and these should return the correct values, doing all the checks before it touches any addon.
And this again is ZOs payed work time :-)

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » Journal Quest Log