01/23/18, 12:15 AM   #1
Scootworks

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
[outdated] targetDisplayName/sourceDisplayname in EVENT_COMBAT_EVENT

i wish there is a possibility to track the display name of people. the reason why is simple:
if `ZO_ShouldPreferUserId()` is active, there is no possibility to track the name (displayName) of an enemy via this event.

i guess it's not possible to get displayname by source/target-UnityId from this event?

01/23/18, 09:01 AM   #2
Letho
I can almost see Chip's/Zenimax's *rolleyes*

01/23/18, 11:43 AM   #3
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Doesn't GetUnitDisplayName('reticleover') work?

Oh sorry, you want to have the data from the event :-)

04/02/18, 10:12 AM   #4
Scootworks

right :-) i want to display account names / display names if UserId prefered (from eso settings). for death state it works fine, because you are able to track both and in battleground kills it works fine too

07/24/18, 09:02 AM   #5
Scootworks

any chance to see this in a future update? ^^ <3

09/07/18, 06:09 AM   #6
Drummerx04
Originally Posted by Scootworks View Post
any chance to see this in a future update? ^^ <3
Okay, so there's a pretty long history of changes to the COMBAT_EVENT, but it can be summarized as follows.

COMBAT_EVENT triggers for pretty much everything in the immediate area (out to around 50-60m in game). Once upon a time, Source and Target names along with every other field were always populated. This leads to a LOT of information being leaked more or less unintentionally (see original Miat's addon capabilities of detecting nearby players in stealth ).

ZOS removed a bunch of this data from the combat events to combat this leakage, so there is intentionally no direct API call to go from a unitId to a character/player name and there never will be.

09/07/18, 07:02 AM   #7
Scootworks

Originally Posted by Drummerx04 View Post
Okay, so there's a pretty long history of changes to the COMBAT_EVENT, but it can be summarized as follows.

COMBAT_EVENT triggers for pretty much everything in the immediate area (out to around 50-60m in game). Once upon a time, Source and Target names along with every other field were always populated. This leads to a LOT of information being leaked more or less unintentionally (see original Miat's addon capabilities of detecting nearby players in stealth ).

ZOS removed a bunch of this data from the combat events to combat this leakage, so there is intentionally no direct API call to go from a unitId to a character/player name and there never will be.
i don't get it and i don't see your problem. EVENT_COMBAT_EVENT does give you: sourceUnitId, targetUnitId, sourceName, targetName too. the problem is, sourceUnitId and targetUnitId is not used and totally useless in my opinion. the reason why i want account name (displayName) in this case is: i want the correct names when you kill someone, depending on ZO_ShouldPreferUserId() (ingame options menu).

09/08/18, 08:56 AM   #8
Drummerx04
Originally Posted by Scootworks View Post
i don't get it and i don't see your problem. EVENT_COMBAT_EVENT does give you: sourceUnitId, targetUnitId, sourceName, targetName too. the problem is, sourceUnitId and targetUnitId is not used and totally useless in my opinion. the reason why i want account name (displayName) in this case is: i want the correct names when you kill someone, depending on ZO_ShouldPreferUserId() (ingame options menu).
Any event that involves your character will populate the source/target names and Ids. However the events that fire that do not involve you (which is actually most of them in any public setting) will have a lot of the data stripped out and this is intentionally done by ZOS.

Your final statement in your OP suggested that you wanted to get the display name from the Ids, but if your actual "wish" is to get the displayname instead of character name based on user settings from COMBAT_EVENTS involving you, then that's different.

Your best bet now is to build a table of unitId -> displaynames via COMBAT_EFFECT_CHANGED, or use whatever event triggers when you target someone to build a list of characternames -> displaynames.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Wish List » [outdated] targetDisplayName/sourceDisplayname in EVENT_COMBAT_EVENT