12/26/20, 04:52 PM   #1
Phuein

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Lightbulb Mark player as roleplayer / roleplaying?

Been thinking about making a small addon that helps players mark each other as roleplayers. Wanted to check first if such an addon already exists to any capacity?

My idea is having different options that'll put an icon above another player. The title option requires you to look at (reticle over) the other player.
  • Using the title Volunteer - which generally nobody uses. (Or maybe a different one? Or a match of specific class+title?)
  • Matching a substring in the character name, such as "RP Bob" matching names that start with "RP".
  • Matching a pattern in the character name, such as "-Bob th' Slayer" which starts with a hyphen, has 3 words, and includes an apostrophe without breaking the naming rules.

I'm posting here to run this idea through you guys first, to see if it makes sense at all, and how I could tweak it.
12/27/20, 03:20 AM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I'm not aware of any addon doing this already.
The naming and reticle stuff, using a title, should work. The title stuff basically is was LibCustomTitles does already, so just make sure you do not overwrite the title this lib uses, as it also is used for RP afaik.

But an icon over the head wouldn't be possible, only if you are grouped, as the position api only is available in groups. If one is still not able to change the nameplates and maybe add an icon in there, you won't have success with this
12/27/20, 03:33 PM   #3
Phuein

Ah, can't access world position outside of group, indeed. In that case, the next best thing is adding a text/icon to the target frame (unit frame.) Works simple enough, so I'll start with text and later figure out some nice icon that fits.

I'll check LibCustomTitles, too. Thanks Baer.
12/27/20, 04:51 PM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
You are welcome.
A text at the target frame is okay but noone else will see it, only you will
Same proble there: If you aren't grouped you cannot show that info to other players (via LibMapPing e.g.).
Maybe using the guild notice (per player) would be a workaround for guildies. But you shouldn't change that too often as the server will kick you for spamming else. Even if you only change a few members after another it could happen/happend in the past.
And there are so many addons adding text there already, I doubt you'd get lots of characters left :-p
12/27/20, 07:15 PM   #5
Phuein

Hrm addon incompatibility might be a thing. Guess we'll see.

My intention isn't to toggle myself as RP, but to have certain rules that would show users that another player is RPing. So if I make a character that's named a certain way, it'll be recognized by everybody with the addon.

I'm just done with the concept and uploaded it to get more specific feedback.

https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info...arker2020.html
12/27/20, 07:45 PM   #6
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I think the idea with the titles was a good one, but maybe choose a special title that is easy to get, not used very often, like the first Cyrodiil AVA title or similar.
12/28/20, 03:37 AM   #7
Phuein

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll add some settings for that. Default to mark anybody with Volunteer on, and let users disable it if they feel it's overkill.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » Mark player as roleplayer / roleplaying?