04/10/14, 02:16 AM   #1
Flamage

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Librarian

This thread is for any discussion, bug reports, request or suggestions for my newly-released addon - Librarian. Let me know what you think!

Last edited by Flamage : 04/10/14 at 08:32 PM.
04/11/14, 10:27 AM   #2
ilmarine
This is by far my favourite addon

I have a few suggestions:

I think it should be account-wide. When I have read a book on one character I would only want to know about new books on others. This will also mean that the books that you read before installing the add-on on one character can be incorporated into a general library when other characters read them.

There should be a way to group books into categories or tag them, so that you can easily find the ones you want. Any library is only as good as the organized card catalogue

There could be some statistics. How many books you have total. How many pages, words. How many books out of all in the game (is this possible?). How many are notes, scrolls, books, etc.

Thanks again for a really great add-on!!!
04/12/14, 02:41 AM   #3
Flamage

There is a list of upcoming improvements on the addon's description page, and one of those is to include support for sharing books across characters. Another is to count how many books you have read in total.

Your suggestions on showing how many pages and words are in a book is a great one, I'll add it to the list. The categories one is interesting too, I'm not sure exactly what it would entail but I will definitely look into it. Thanks for your awesome feedback!
04/12/14, 08:27 AM   #4
Rhynchelma
Premium Member
Premium Member
If you are going to implement account wide recording, please consider making that as an option. Personally, I like it per character.
04/12/14, 08:02 PM   #5
Flamage

I've released a new version of the addon. It includes a new "Words" field which shows you the word count of each book.

As always, let me know if you discover any bugs with this new feature.
04/15/14, 09:41 AM   #6
Dynamite7673
I installed librarian well after I started and I stop to read everything. Is there a possibility to merge librarian.lua files with other players going anywhere similar to what is being done with the ESOhead.lua file?
04/15/14, 02:54 PM   #7
Flamage

There isn't any built-in way to share your books with a friend's library, but when you get the Eidetic Memory perk, I'll be able to re-import books your character has already read but that haven't yet been added to Librarian.
04/16/14, 03:34 PM   #8
Flamage

1.0.4 is out, which adds the much-requested feature of account-wide book sharing. Now you can read books you found on other characters, as well as skip re-reading a book you have already seen.

There were a lot of changed to the underlying data structures of the addon in this update. I spent extra time on this version playing it, and making sure that the upgrade should be seamless, but if you want to be extra safe, I'd recommend backing up the Librarian.lua file in your SavedVariables folder (this is where the actual book database is stored). If you have any issues once the addon has been updated, please zip up and attach that file to a reply in this thread, and I'll run it up myself to see what could be causing the problem
04/16/14, 04:27 PM   #9
AstroCat

Hmmm, I'm not seeing my account wide books on my characters, only their own discoveries. Selecting the option at the bottom doesn't seem to have an effect.

Is the new version retroactive with previous found books?

Thanks!
04/16/14, 04:50 PM   #10
Flamage

Originally Posted by AstroCat View Post
Hmmm, I'm not seeing my account wide books on my characters, only their own discoveries. Selecting the option at the bottom doesn't seem to have an effect.

Is the new version retroactive with previous found books?

Thanks!
Good point, I should probably mention that each character's books get moved to the account-wide database when the addon starts, so initially you will need to log each character in once in order to populate the shared library.
05/05/14, 08:13 AM   #11
ojustaboo
What I would like is a completely different addon to be able to interact with this mod and use text to speech to read the books to me.

My eyesight isn't what it used to be and I struggle reading lots of on screen words'

Editing the Librarian.lua in SavedVariables shows they are all there in text form, just need someone who knows what they are doing to be able to do this (which unfortunately ins't me else I would try)

Many many thanks, a great addon
05/05/14, 03:15 PM   #12
Flamage

Originally Posted by ojustaboo View Post
What I would like is a completely different addon to be able to interact with this mod and use text to speech to read the books to me.

My eyesight isn't what it used to be and I struggle reading lots of on screen words'

Editing the Librarian.lua in SavedVariables shows they are all there in text form, just need someone who knows what they are doing to be able to do this (which unfortunately ins't me else I would try)

Many many thanks, a great addon
Unfortunately, this is almost certainly not going to be possible. There is no way for an addon to get data out of the game into an external text to speech engine, and writing a text to speech engine in lua inside the game is out of the question.
05/05/14, 04:17 PM   #13
Qwynn
As requested: saved variables, screenshots, and addon list.

Original report:

Originally Posted by Qwynn
Also experiencing this. I don't think it's the false positive anchor error, either.

There are no settings listed in the settings panel, and if I try to hover over it it brings my game down to 7FPS and it is I am inundated with anchor errors.
Deleting the saved varaibles file does not help. It may be due to addon conflicts, but it is strange that something would affect another addon's setting panel in such a way.

That entire chatbox, from scrollbar top to bottom is the same error if I hover over the settings panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Addon List.png
Views:	1161
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	221  Click image for larger version

Name:	Bug1.jpg
Views:	1155
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	222  Click image for larger version

Name:	Bug2.jpg
Views:	1144
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	223  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Librarian.zip (265.8 KB, 1046 views)
05/05/14, 04:24 PM   #14
Flamage

Thanks for that. It appears that there can be issues when a lot of addons are loaded and / or they make a lot of use of LibAddonMenu for their settings panels. Clearly the two of you that have reported issues both have a lot of addons running.

For the meantime, disabling some addons that have a settings menu that you don't need should provide relief from the issue temporarily. Tonight I'll try installing a bunch of addons that the two of you have in common, and see if I can replicate and then make my addon immune to.

Do you have issues with the settings panels of other addons as well? It seems odd that Librarian would be the only one experiencing problems, when I don't use many settings at all compared to a lot of addons.
05/05/14, 05:05 PM   #15
Qwynn
I'm well aware of the anchor issue that occurs when too many addons are pulling from LibAddonMenu. I've dealt with it before and purposely slimmed by addon folder down by more than half. The list I provided you is the slimmed version, and I don't consider that a lot by a long stretch.

However, in the other case I've dealt with this error, it was completely benign and actually had no ill affect on any of my addons. That isn't the case here with Librarian, in which it's causing a massive string of errors and invalidating the settings panel. This I haven't seen before.

After testing, it seems to be directly linked to S'rendarr.

I can reproduce the error every time with only Librarian and S'rendarr activated. With S'rendarr deactivated, but Librarian and the rest of my list enabled, there is no issue.

I could cross-post this error over on that addon's page if you like, as well. Due to how this particular anchor error is occurring with no variance (unlike when I was testing the benign type), I don't think it falls into the same vein as before and might be a different problem with either one or both of the addons in question.

But, I can't code, so what do I know? Hopefully this helps.
05/08/14, 12:16 PM   #16
ojustaboo
Originally Posted by Flamage View Post
Unfortunately, this is almost certainly not going to be possible. There is no way for an addon to get data out of the game into an external text to speech engine, and writing a text to speech engine in lua inside the game is out of the question.
Many thanks.

Would it be possible for someone to write and addon to extract each book from your lua to a text file? Or is that also outside the scope of what the Addon software allows? Obviously the text could be extracted outside of the game, but what I would like to do is as follows.

Open up my book library
Select one or more books I want to read
Extract them to a text file.
Then use my text to speech software on my second monitor to read the text file (outside of the game although the games still running on main monitor).

Am I writing in the correct thread, I see another thread thats much longer than this one that appears to be discussing the same addon?

Thanks a superb addon
05/08/14, 03:33 PM   #17
Flamage

Originally Posted by ojustaboo View Post
Would it be possible for someone to write and addon to extract each book from your lua to a text file? Or is that also outside the scope of what the Addon software allows?
Addons are only able to write to their SavedVariables file, and this only happens when logging out or during a /reloadui.

What you could do is to use the unread flag (or some other flag which the addon doesn't have yet), and once you have marked the books you want to read, press your keybind for reloadui, and the saved variables will be written. The reloadui only takes a few seconds. You could then have an external program read the book text out of the saved variables file and speak it to you.
05/08/14, 09:49 PM   #18
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
You could provide an option to place the text of the book in an edit box, then the user could copy-paste the text to another program.
06/25/14, 01:22 AM   #19
Virgarius
Librarian file corrupted

Hi,

I have updated Librarian to version 1.1.2 and it has corrupted the Librarian file in SavedVariables folder. By corrupted I mean that all books were deleted, except of Lore books. Is there any way to recover that file? It is really frustrating... Is there a way to import books? Is there any other lore-geeks who could send me their files?

Thank you,
Vitaliy
06/25/14, 01:47 AM   #20
Flamage

It looks like a serious issue brought about by changes in the latest patch. Please, PLEASE take a copy of your Librarian saved variables before logging in, while I work on a fix.

If you have lost your data, you will be able to import it again from the Lore Library, but the read/unread and date found fields will be reset.

ESOUI » AddOns » Released AddOns » Librarian