12/18/16, 09:29 AM   #1
Inkpot
Travel Routes Addon?

So I was wondering if it would be possible for anyone to make an addon that showed a map displaying the various travel routes to different regions/cities? The wayshrines are awesome, but it can be a real chore trying to figure out where to go in an area that you've never visited before - particularly for the New Life Festival. What would be ideal would be a map that allowed you to input your destination, and then the addon would calculate the route to take from your present location.

Is this possible with the current API?

If this could be done, it would be extremely helpful and you would have my eternal gratitude!
12/18/16, 01:17 PM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You want to show some kind of navigation tool that shows you where to "manually walk and ride" to get to the zone edges and get to the next zone?

Why arenn't you using "Destinations" and just enable the wayshrines so you find them to fsattravel to new areas? Or just ask someone to give you a taxi port to a new area.

I think it might be able to cretae an addon that will act like a navigation software but it takes way too much time and effort to keep it up2date etc.
imo this is not wanted/possible.
12/19/16, 05:18 AM   #3
Inkpot
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
You want to show some kind of navigation tool that shows you where to "manually walk and ride" to get to the zone edges and get to the next zone?

Why arenn't you using "Destinations" and just enable the wayshrines so you find them to fsattravel to new areas? Or just ask someone to give you a taxi port to a new area.

I think it might be able to cretae an addon that will act like a navigation software but it takes way too much time and effort to keep it up2date etc.
imo this is not wanted/possible.

Not exactly.

The problem my friends and I are having is that for the New Life Festival, they don't really give you any directions to the areas where you need to go to complete the quests. So it takes us a lot of time searching through the map screen to calculate our route to get from point A to point B - which isn't always just a single zone away. That's one scenario.

The second scenario is this: Say the RP community is having some kind of special event in an out of the way location. You have no idea where it is or how to get there. Sure, you could spend the next 20 minutes in zone chat trying to get some kind of clear directions, but wouldn't it be nice to have a convenient addon to plan your route for you?

I don't doubt that it would take a lot of work to make an addon that would do this - which is why I have nothing but the highest respect for addon authors who are so generous to the community with their time and skills. Maybe others could would find an addon like this useful? Other games have addons like this, maybe one for ESO would be beneficial?

I know my friends and I would seriously appreciate it....
12/19/16, 05:37 AM   #4
Ayantir

Too complicated, not doable.
12/19/16, 03:27 PM   #5
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I'm afraid this is really not doable without really high effort (if it's doable at all).
You'd need to feed ALL MAPS into a kind of navigation coordinates and locate your player in there like GPS.

You could use an addon like Harvens Custom Map Pins and plan your route in advance. The pins will stay on your map forever until you delete them and you'd be able to transfer them manually to another player by sendimg them your savedvariables file, where they need to exchange the name of the account and charackter with their own one.

Originally Posted by Inkpot View Post
Not exactly.

The problem my friends and I are having is that for the New Life Festival, they don't really give you any directions to the areas where you need to go to complete the quests. So it takes us a lot of time searching through the map screen to calculate our route to get from point A to point B - which isn't always just a single zone away. That's one scenario.

The second scenario is this: Say the RP community is having some kind of special event in an out of the way location. You have no idea where it is or how to get there. Sure, you could spend the next 20 minutes in zone chat trying to get some kind of clear directions, but wouldn't it be nice to have a convenient addon to plan your route for you?

I don't doubt that it would take a lot of work to make an addon that would do this - which is why I have nothing but the highest respect for addon authors who are so generous to the community with their time and skills. Maybe others could would find an addon like this useful? Other games have addons like this, maybe one for ESO would be beneficial?

I know my friends and I would seriously appreciate it....
12/19/16, 05:21 PM   #6
Inkpot
Ah well, thanks for the tips guys. Appreciate your input!

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » Travel Routes Addon?