06/01/21, 02:36 PM   #1
Sylow
Weird effect: ESO crashes when i have too many addons

Hello,

i right now am a bit clueless on what is going wrong. When trying to log in with all the addons formerly installed, the game crashes. Interestingly enough, the game launches fine if i do one of the following:
- Disable BanditUI
- Disable Dolgubon's Lazy Set Crafter and Dolgubon's Lazy Writ Crafter
- Disable MasterMerchant

I would guess that disabling other addons might come to the same result, but it took me quite some time to just get to this result. Is there a logfile where i could see what's actually wrong? (The log files i actually found don't give me any corresponding error messages, so i guess i am looking at the wrong place. )

As the mentioned addons are vastly different and seem to work in combination on other computers, i don't think that the problem is inherent to these addons, but rather that the computer is running into some limitation. As far as i know, the memory limit for addons was removed years ago? Am i wrong on that?

I am sorry for the clueless question, but what could be going wrong here?
06/01/21, 02:39 PM   #2
andy.s
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Random guess while I was passing by: try removing all saved variables (it's better to create a backup obviously )
06/01/21, 03:36 PM   #3
Sylow
Tried it, unfortunately did not help. But thanks fot trying to help.
06/02/21, 04:32 AM   #4
votan

Windows applications, if not compiled having a special flag, still are limited to 8GB memory usage total.
Open your task manager and check, if the eso exe reaching this limit before crashing.
06/02/21, 01:26 PM   #5
Sylow
Hmm. After a number of addons updating again today, it runs again.

I don't plan to now roll back to the old version to analyse in detail. But thanks for the assistance.
06/02/21, 06:17 PM   #6
Sharlikran

Originally Posted by votan View Post
Windows applications, if not compiled having a special flag, still are limited to 8GB memory usage total.
Open your task manager and check, if the eso exe reaching this limit before crashing.
That doesn't apply to 64 bit apps.
06/02/21, 07:34 PM   #7
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
My client crashes a lot as well if I e.g. change champion points, even if only 1 or no addons are enabled.
I think the client is just uggy after the patch and we need to wait for stability fixes.
06/02/21, 07:41 PM   #8
Sharlikran

Unfortunately I think you are correct. I just logged into my character with all my mods enabled and the game crashed. Where before that would not have happened. If I am logged in with just MM and a few mods active then I have no issues. Once I enable everything I prefer to have running then stuff hits the fan so to speak.

Although for me I have not changed any CP points. What I did prior to having the issue is that I have a companion now.

Last edited by Sharlikran : 06/02/21 at 07:53 PM.
06/02/21, 08:45 PM   #9
Anceane

could it be related for example to an addon who until now was silent when i logged in, and suddenly each minute this addon post on the chat *emotes shortcuts loaded*

Each minute no matter what i do. i see that in the chat.

Would the game consider that as spam ?

i checked better, and each time i open a door, i close a door, i enter a place or i leave the addon spam the chat

Not during fight or outdoors though

Last edited by Anceane : 06/02/21 at 09:22 PM.
06/02/21, 08:57 PM   #10
Sharlikran

No because it's once a minute. I have several mods that spit out a notification of "LibHistorie Refresh not finished yet" and if for any reason that is a string like GetString(SOME_THING_TEXT) but the string doesn't exist then the game will spit out something random. I hope it's not one of my mods refreshing LibHistorie.
06/02/21, 09:13 PM   #11
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by Anceane View Post
could it be related for example to an addon who until now was silent when i logged in, and suddenly each minute this addon post on the chat *emotes shortcuts loaded*

Each minute no matter what i do. i see that in the chat.

Would the game consider that as spam ?
Do you remember the trick with Notepad++ I once explained you, how to search the total live/AddOns folder for a string in any of your addons?
Just use Notepadd++, in teh menu click on Search -> In files (CTRL + SHIFt + F):
Enter the search term, e.g. *emotes shortcuts loaded* or shortcuts loaded and search in your live/AddOns folder.
Let it search trough subfolders and files and you'll most likely find the addon in charge of the spam and can either check if there is any setting at the addon's settings menu (like "Debug") you can turn OFF, or tell the dev in the addon comments to strip the message please.
06/03/21, 05:04 AM   #12
Anceane

Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Do you remember the trick with Notepad++ I once explained you, how to search the total live/AddOns folder for a string in any of your addons?
Just use Notepadd++, in teh menu click on Search -> In files (CTRL + SHIFt + F):
Enter the search term, e.g. *emotes shortcuts loaded* or shortcuts loaded and search in your live/AddOns folder.
Let it search trough subfolders and files and you'll most likely find the addon in charge of the spam and can either check if there is any setting at the addon's settings menu (like "Debug") you can turn OFF, or tell the dev in the addon comments to strip the message please.
yes and did already find which one did it, its the addon Emoteshortcuts. The debug is on False

As you also explained me, i removed the libstub dependency and corrected local LAM2 = LibAddonMenu2

Though haha my knowledge about funtions and all other are not good enough.

This is even confirmed by Libdebuglogviewer, no as an error though
06/07/21, 01:03 PM   #13
Sylow
Back to my original problem above: it still happens. Not always, but quite often. When i wrote that above, that updating the addons helped, it seemed like i just was lucky that it went fine for a few times.

As somebody pointed towards memory use: 64 bit system, so probably not the reason anyway, but the game goes to about 2 GB. So, i tooled around for some time again today, and it really seems like that. With all "regular" addons active, the game sometimes crashes when logging in a character.

Merely a pointer on where there could be useful log files on it would already be appreciated. Those log files i find don't seem to log the reason for the crash.
06/07/21, 01:43 PM   #14
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
How does the client crash? Does it simply close and you are on teh windows desktop again all of sudden?
Or does it show any ESO crash log report afterwards?
Does it freeze and show a windows popup "eso64.exe is busy...." ?

My game client crashes very often since the patch, all of sudden, without warning. Could be due to addons but also happens if I'm in non-crowded or crowded areas w/o any active addon.

It looks like a general problem/bug for me that we got here as many other guild members got similar problems (without any addon enabled).
06/08/21, 05:08 AM   #15
Sylow
It's the crash report screen. So, sending report to ZOE and so on. But i still think it's an addon thingie, as the crash seems to never happen with addons disabled. (The crash report to ZEO is sent, anyway. )
06/08/21, 06:56 AM   #16
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Hm, okay.
If you have not updated your drivers for your PC already (Motherbaord, Chipsets, Graphics card, Network, Mouse, Keyboard etc.) do so.

I think the only way to find out what causes the crash then is to turn single addons off, if it's addon related.
Hard to test, yeah.
I'd start with the addons having the biggest files in live/SavedVariables and with addons which include their own .dds files in subfolders or which got big .lua files like TamrielTradeCenter, Master Merchant and so on.
06/08/21, 07:45 AM   #17
Sharlikran

I had reported that I was having the situation but as mysteriously as it happened, it went away. Then the game crashed once after using all my mods. I had been coding and reloading the UI many time and everything had been working fine up until that moment.

When I tried to log into the same character I couldn'tx so that was the second crash in a row. So I had noticed I could log into another character when this happened before and tried it again. Then after that worked I just logged into the main character I always play on.

I have not crashed again but maintenance happened yesterday. So I am just watching it. I am loading all my mods even though it would be more efficient to run less while coding and testing but I want to see if there is a pattern.

Maybe it's just a bit different for everyone but I don't feel it is just loading too many mods because I have all my usual mods loaded and everything is fine.
06/09/21, 04:52 AM   #18
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
When I tried to log into the same character I couldn'tx so that was the second crash in a row
Did it say "nope, already logegd in"? Getting this as well after a crash. The server needs a bit time to logout the char properly then. But normally this fixes itsself after the 2nd time you try to login the same char, so it takes ~1-2 minutes only.

Or did it just stay at the loading screen, after selecting the character?
Had that happening as well. I had to delete/rename my LibdebugLogger.lua SavedVariables file (as it was really big) and after that it worked again.
Maybe a coincidence though so do not nail me on this particular SV file please! Could be the server was bitchy and fixed itsself after I pressed ALT+F4 and tried again a few mins later.

Originally Posted by Sharlikran View Post
Maybe it's just a bit different for everyone but I don't feel it is just loading too many mods because I have all my usual mods loaded and everything is fine.
Yeah, I feel the same.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » Weird effect: ESO crashes when i have too many addons