04/02/14, 05:56 PM   #1
Syber01
Exclamation Multiple .txt files in addon folder can crash ESO - beware...

Those of you publishing addons - please be careful and only have one main .txt file in the main folder, otherwise the game tries to load the others. Try it, put in a readme.txt and it shows up in the addon menu of ESO. This can cause the game to crash. Just FYI.

Note: It will only try to load the .txt files if "Allow out of date add-ons" is checked.

Last edited by Syber01 : 04/02/14 at 05:58 PM.
04/02/14, 06:22 PM   #2
Tonyleila

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Just to be save about the main folder thing... what if the txts are in an extra folder? Is this save? Or woud that also be a problem? Like http://www.esoui.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=45

Last edited by Tonyleila : 04/02/14 at 06:25 PM.
04/02/14, 06:32 PM   #3
ins
That explains why there were some strange addon names on the list. Thanks for the info.
04/02/14, 06:44 PM   #4
Syber01
Originally Posted by Tonyleila View Post
Just to be save about the main folder thing... what if the txts are in an extra folder? Is this save? Or woud that also be a problem? Like http://www.esoui.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=45
I think a folder is fine, but I'm not an admin. Maybe they can chime in.
04/02/14, 07:19 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
An internal folder would work just fine.

MyAddon\Changelogs\changelog.txt

----------

I haven't seen the game crash due to extra .txt files, though. I thought (from what I and others have seen) that the game only loads (not just list, but load) a .txt file if its file name matches that of the folder it is inside. This is why your .txt file for your addon needs to match the folder name.

Do you have something reproducible that would cause the client to crash?
04/02/14, 07:22 PM   #6
Syber01
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
An internal folder would work just fine.

MyAddon\Changelogs\changelog.txt

----------

I haven't seen the game crash due to extra .txt files, though. I thought (from what I and others have seen) that the game only loads (not just list, but load) a .txt file if its file name matches that of the folder it is inside. This is why your .txt file for your addon needs to match the folder name.

Do you have something reproducible that would cause the client to crash?
I'll PM you which addon it was.
04/02/14, 07:28 PM   #7
Xrystal
caritas omnia vincit

Premium Member
It might have been just during beta but my addon structure had something like this :

XrysGatherer
.. XrysGatherer.txt
.. patchinfo.txt

This generated the real addon XrysGather and the fake addon patchinfo. I don't recall it crashing but then I am not 100% sure I didn't spot it and untick it before running the game itself. I know I spotted it early on enough to make the change straight away. Whether a sub folder makes a difference I don't know.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » Multiple .txt files in addon folder can crash ESO - beware...