08/12/19, 10:54 AM   #1
Anceane

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Why do we have to allow outdated addon when all addons are updated ?

I was very surprised this morning, logging into the game, to find out that the last updated version of https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info...fter.html#info updated on 08/12/19 12:00 AM, was considered by the game as non existant.

The addon was red and the message was : you need the addon ..... (to say the least the message is pretty unclear about what to do)

After some verification of the addon, i decided to check the allow outdated addon .... and that was it ??

So actually even the very last updated addons are flagged as outdated ?

I am basically lost on how this works now, could you explain me please ?
08/12/19, 11:01 AM   #2
sirinsidiator

The game has no way to actually know if an addon is properly running in the latest update. It simply compares a number contained in the addon to a number contained in the game client. If they are not equal it will show the message and refuse to load the addon unless you check the allow outdated addons checkbox.

The number in the addon has to be changed manually by the author each time. Some forget to change it when they upload a new version, some simply won't do an update when the addon is still working and only the number would need to be changed.

The checkbox simply skips this check and loads the addon regardless, which offers the same result as changing the number in the txt file manually for each addon.
08/12/19, 11:05 AM   #3
Anceane

Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
The game has no way to actually know if an addon is properly running in the latest update. It simply compares a number contained in the addon to a number contained in the game client. If they are not equal it will show the message and refuse to load the addon unless you check the allow outdated addons checkbox.

The number in the addon has to be changed manually by the author each time. Some forget to change it when they upload a new version, some simply won't do an update when the addon is still working and only the number would need to be changed.

The checkbox simply skips this check and loads the addon regardless, which offers the same result as changing the number in the txt file manually for each addon.

Thank you! totally understood. But may be ZOS could change the message because You need the addon is pretty disturbing when you have the addon showing and present.
08/12/19, 11:07 AM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Not ALL addons are updated and even then the number in the txt file ## APIVersion: could be still the old one as one forget to increase or change it.

The checkbox ingame will always be unchecked after a major patch and thus all addons which are now "considered outdated by the game client" are ddisabled due to this.
Some addons already got an entry ## APIVersion: <currentApiVersion> <nextAPIversion>
so they appear to be updated (but their code could still be from 3 patches before and not running at all ).

The game is just checking numbers like Sirinsidator wrote already.
So just enable the checkbox and play. 1 click, no problems.
Or if you want to support the checbox and this nonsense check just change ALL addons you'd like to use in their txt file and put the correct ## APIVersion: 100028
for Scalebreaker in

Edit:
the message because You need the addon is pretty disturbing
Sounds weird. Never saw it so far. Will uncheck the checkbox and see myself

For me it only shows:
Outdated, Dependencies
And if there are dependencies you can expand the addon and see below:
White line (activated)
Red line (deactivated)

Where did you see this message?

Last edited by Baertram : 08/12/19 at 11:11 AM.
08/12/19, 01:28 PM   #5
Anceane

When i logged in, after hearing the sound error, i checked the addon list and the only one with problem was Dolgubon lazy crafter ... all red. When i moused over it, there was a tooltip saying : you need the addon

I was uh oh i have the addon ... and i checked, the addon is up to date.

## Title: Dolgubon's Lazy Writ Creator
## APIVersion: 100028
## Author: Dolgubon
## Version: 2.7.6

So could that error come from a library used by the addon and not up to date ?

And to be honnest, i did exactly what you said this morning before the patch. I replaced

## APIVersion: 100026 100027
or
## APIVersion: 100027
or
## APIVersion: 100027 100028 100029

par ## APIVersion: 100028

But i did not updated the addons that went updated last night by their authors like Dolgubon

Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Not ALL addons are updated and even then the number in the txt file ## APIVersion: could be still the old one as one forget to increase or change it.

The checkbox ingame will always be unchecked after a major patch and thus all addons which are now "considered outdated by the game client" are ddisabled due to this.
Some addons already got an entry ## APIVersion: <currentApiVersion> <nextAPIversion>
so they appear to be updated (but their code could still be from 3 patches before and not running at all ).

The game is just checking numbers like Sirinsidator wrote already.
So just enable the checkbox and play. 1 click, no problems.
Or if you want to support the checbox and this nonsense check just change ALL addons you'd like to use in their txt file and put the correct ## APIVersion: 100028
for Scalebreaker in

Edit:

Sounds weird. Never saw it so far. Will uncheck the checkbox and see myself

For me it only shows:
Outdated, Dependencies
And if there are dependencies you can expand the addon and see below:
White line (activated)
Red line (deactivated)

Where did you see this message?

Last edited by Anceane : 08/12/19 at 01:31 PM.
08/12/19, 01:53 PM   #6
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Was the tooltip at the right colum of the addon manager list, with a yellow or red icon where you hovered the mouse over?
This is Votans Addon List then. Maybe the text is coming from this addon then.
08/12/19, 01:57 PM   #7
Anceane

Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Was the tooltip at the right colum of the addon manager list, with a yellow or red icon where you hovered the mouse over?
This is Votans Addon List then. Maybe the text is coming from this addon then.
Ah ok then the addon may need a little update :P as they were other information

Thank you

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » Why do we have to allow outdated addon when all addons are updated ?