Quantcast Someone Please Take Over "NPCMuter" - ESOUI
Thread Tools Display Modes
09/01/19, 08:16 PM   #1
amber1019
Addon Addict
 
amber1019's Avatar
Premium Member
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 74
Smile Someone Please Take Over "NPCMuter"

https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1267-NPCMuter.html

Someone please take over the NPCMuter addon. I've tried Harven's Mute NPCs, but I think I would prefer to mute specific NPCs instead, by adding them to a blacklist via a keybind preferably. (Account-Wide blacklist would be great. And being able to also remove NPCs from the blacklist at will.)

It would pair nicely with No Interact!
__________________
Warning: Spoiler
  Reply With Quote
09/02/19, 02:37 AM   #2
Baertram
 
Baertram's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,491
If you ask for someone to take over you should also write why.
Any Lua error messages? What is not working? How to rebuild the error/non working stuff in steps?
This would help a lot.
Or do you only need someone to increase the api version each patch and add new features like the account wide settings?
  Reply With Quote
09/02/19, 04:40 AM   #3
amber1019
Addon Addict
 
amber1019's Avatar
Premium Member
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
If you ask for someone to take over you should also write why.
Any Lua error messages? What is not working? How to rebuild the error/non working stuff in steps?
This would help a lot.
Or do you only need someone to increase the api version each patch and add new features like the account wide settings?

Sorry. I provided the link to the addon figuring that anyone that clicked on it would see why it needs to be taken over.

It hasn't been updated since 2016 and the author hasn't been online since then, either. Also, the 3 latest comments are bug reports. (The last comment being from 2017.)
I try to stay away from addons that clearly don't have any support. So on that information alone, I wouldn't want to take the time to test the addon myself. It obviously doesn't work well enough, if it even works anymore at all.

And that's why I'm requesting someone takes over the addon.
__________________
Warning: Spoiler
  Reply With Quote
09/02/19, 05:06 AM   #4
Baertram
 
Baertram's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,491
Okay, the comments were not clear for me as they say it works and only a few NPCs don't work.
At least this is what I had read, and which amde me think "Okay, it works, except some of the texts are not recognized".
So I thought you get any error message or did test it already and have also found somethign not working properly.
  Reply With Quote
09/02/19, 11:21 AM   #5
Dolgubon
 
Dolgubon's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 343
Originally Posted by amber1019 View Post
So on that information alone, I wouldn't want to take the time to test the addon myself. It obviously doesn't work well enough, if it even works anymore at all.
If you wouldn't want to take a small amount of time to test it, and see what needs to be fixed.


Then why should anyone else want to invest a really large amount of time to take it over?
  Reply With Quote
09/02/19, 11:39 AM   #6
amber1019
Addon Addict
 
amber1019's Avatar
Premium Member
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by Dolgubon View Post
If you wouldn't want to take a small amount of time to test it, and see what needs to be fixed.


Then why should anyone else want to invest a really large amount of time to take it over?
What??? What's with your negativity? I'm not forcing anyone to take it over. I requested that someone did, so it could have continued support. No one is forcing anyone to do anything. Don't get so defensive. I'm perfectly fine if no one decides to take it over.

Also... I already said 3 bug reports are in the addon's comments. Obviously it's bugged, and it's nothing I can help with. An author that knows all the API and coding would need to take care of it.

Hence me asking for someone with experience to take it over................
__________________
Warning: Spoiler

Last edited by amber1019 : 09/02/19 at 11:42 AM.
  Reply With Quote
09/02/19, 12:23 PM   #7
Baertram
 
Baertram's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,491
I understand why Dolgubon is writing this and he is somehow right:

As I wrote above the addon comments just say for some of the NPCs it's not working as expected.
But there is no general "addon is not working at all" or "error messages appear" information.

And if you write something like "I did not test it because I did not want to because someone said it is broken"... This sounds like the nightmare for devs
As we would need to fully test the addon and see what is not working -> Not our job.

I understand why you did not test it but please do so and give more details what should be fixed then.
Maybe it's really all NPCs not working and not only a few.
  Reply With Quote
09/02/19, 12:29 PM   #8
amber1019
Addon Addict
 
amber1019's Avatar
Premium Member
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 74
I would definitely test it if an author looked into why it was bugging for perhaps only these select few NPCs, made some coding changes, and wanted someone to test it afterwards. Of course I'd test it then. Absolutely.

But I'm not going to test an addon that's 3 years old that the author has clearly abandoned. Especially one that has bug reports. It's bugged. Period.

Like I said, if no one wants to take it over to give it support (fix any bugs, etc) then that's okay.

I was simply making a request. If no one says they'll do it, that's okay. No worries.
__________________
Warning: Spoiler
  Reply With Quote
09/28/19, 10:58 AM   #9
Phuein
 
Phuein's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 96
Smile

I'm open for maintenance requests. You can PM me your offers for testing and fixing anything in the addon.
__________________

Author of beloved and rejuvenated addons:

ShowMount             PvP FPS 2018

Notebook 2018         Junkee 2018

BestFriends 2018       New Addon
  Reply With Quote
09/28/19, 11:07 AM   #10
amber1019
Addon Addict
 
amber1019's Avatar
Premium Member
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by Phuein View Post
I'm open for maintenance requests. You can PM me your offers for testing and fixing anything in the addon.
I actually started using the addon. So far, it seems to be working fine. So, here I am eating my own words about it being bugged. Oops.

The down-side of the addon is that it can't mute bards, because the addon adjusts the ambience volume when muted NPCs are nearby. It doesn't adjust the effects volume, which is what bards' singing is tied to.

See my forum post here: NPCMuter - Doesn't Work On Bards.

If you'd like to bring the addon back to life and include ways for us to mute bards, we can definitely talk about compensation. Unfortunately, I could only do in-game gold. And even then, I'm on the poorer side of things.

But, let me know what you think and what you'd accept as compensation for tackling taking over this addon and adding the functionality of muting bards.
__________________
Warning: Spoiler
  Reply With Quote
09/29/19, 01:00 PM   #11
amber1019
Addon Addict
 
amber1019's Avatar
Premium Member
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 74
Thumbs up Still Need An Addon Author, Please

Seeing as Phuein only wants "meaningful" compensation and refuses to work on it otherwise (which he's totally free to choose not to do! I wouldn't want to force anyone to do anything!),
I'm still looking for someone to take over NPCMuter.
__________________
Warning: Spoiler

Last edited by amber1019 : 09/29/19 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Because Phuein Requested It.
  Reply With Quote
09/29/19, 01:52 PM   #12
Rhyono
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 554
"Ridiculous" is extreme. You are very new to the ESO add-on scene so you have yet to see the heavy turnover in authors. There are many factors that go into it, but among them is that it is time consuming and not rewarding.

Many start off because they see something that is lacking and they want to add it for themselves. Then, they share it for free. From there, it's all bug reports and feature requests. Maybe one in a thousand users will at some point say "thank you" but that eventually isn't enough to want to continue.

No one else was offering to work on it and I doubt he was going to use it much himself, so he was offering a viable means of you getting what you want if you wanted it that badly.

Many of us are professional programmers and to nearly imply our time isn't valuable just because we do some things for free is slighting.
  Reply With Quote
09/29/19, 02:11 PM   #13
amber1019
Addon Addict
 
amber1019's Avatar
Premium Member
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by Rhyono View Post
"Ridiculous" is extreme. You are very new to the ESO add-on scene so you have yet to see the heavy turnover in authors. There are many factors that go into it, but among them is that it is time consuming and not rewarding.

Many start off because they see something that is lacking and they want to add it for themselves. Then, they share it for free. From there, it's all bug reports and feature requests. Maybe one in a thousand users will at some point say "thank you" but that eventually isn't enough to want to continue.

No one else was offering to work on it and I doubt he was going to use it much himself, so he was offering a viable means of you getting what you want if you wanted it that badly.

Many of us are professional programmers and to nearly imply our time isn't valuable just because we do some things for free is slighting.
I would say calling it "ridiculous" is "extreme". I think you coming to the conclusion that I think other people's time isn't valuable is "extreme". That's completely untrue. That's not how I feel, at all.

I never said your time (or anyone's time) wasn't valuable.
But your time is just as valuable as mine.

If I'm willing to pay someone to make an addon, I'd rather just save the money to spend on something else and learn how to do it myself. I offered what I could for compensation, but was told it wasn't "meaningful" enough. That's their opinion and they're free to feel that way. Just like I'm free to say, "Well, that's all I'm going to offer. Bye, then."
At least I offered anything at all and didn't just laugh in their face.
I understand that everyone has their own lives, their own jobs, their own hobbies, etc etc etc. And I'm very very understanding of that.

But, in my opinion... it's fair to give someone some pixels (gold) in return for the modified pixels (addon).
Especially when even a simple "thank you" is hard to come by. (That's what you said, right?)
If that doesn't suffice... then oh well! If the addon author gives up and stops updating or whatever... then so be it. <*Shrug*>

When I come up with addon requests and such, I take into consideration how many other people may enjoy the request, too. I do my best to never make a request I feel only *I* would really benefit from. Because that doesn't feel fair. So i also try to explain in detail why I'm making the request. Even sometimes try to make a pros and cons list of some requests, to play the devil's advocate (see both sides of it).
I even tell authors to not even worry about it, if I feel like they think it would be something difficult to accomplish/implement. I try to be very understanding about these things. I try to stay polite, and let them know I appreciate them even considering my request.

If no one wants my gold or wants to do it just because they're awesome, then that's okay, too. Like I said, I'm not going to try to pressure or force anyone into doing anything.

Also, even though it shouldn't matter... But because some addon authors seem to be very haughty and elitist on ESOUI... With all due respect to everyone (Just being honest!)... I've made addons/mods for other Bethesda games. Whoopty-do. Hurrah hurrah. Whatever.
Just because I haven't authored anything for ESO doesn't mean I'm some whiney, needy, selfish, entitled user. I've seen those kind of people. They suck.
I just haven't learned the coding/API stuff. Yet. I know what it's like to be an addon author, and I always try to keep in mind how annoying users can be, and I really try not to be that kind of person.

But thank you for your point of view.

Let's try to keep this post on topic from now on though, please.
This forum topic is about looking for an author to take over NPCMuter.
__________________
Warning: Spoiler

Last edited by amber1019 : 09/29/19 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Felt the need to add that I've created mods before. Some authors here seem to act like you're a piece of trash otherwise.
  Reply With Quote

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » Someone Please Take Over "NPCMuter"

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off