05/07/21, 02:32 AM   #1
Hotzelvit

1 install - 3 accounts - addon-problems

Hello,

playing eso on multiple accounts on 1 Pc install.
Keep having the problem that when, for example, I globally activate/deactivate an addon on 1 acccount this carries over or to some extent at least to the addon activation on the other 2 accs.

Just tested with 'Assisted Rapid Riding' (which I no longer use anyway, so just for demonstration):

I activate on acc 1/main char selection window ARR for all chars. Before that I made sure the addon was globally deactivated on all 3 accs. Now I switch to acc 2 and lo and behold the addon is partially activated for some chars, for others not. How does this happen? It's more of a problem rlly with addons that I do actually use like Personal Assistant. Anyone knows what causes this and if there's a workaround?
Thank you very much
05/07/21, 05:12 AM   #2
sirinsidiator

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
That's a "feature". The game has an entry "Default" which it uses for all characters on all account on that machine, until you change one of the selected addons for that character and it creates a separate entry as a result. Check the AddOnSettings.txt file and look for lines starting with a #.
As a fun fact, you could rename a char on account A to something else and then rename another char on account B to the previous name and it would apply the old addon selection. That's because the entries look something like "#EU Megaserver-MyCharName" and don't care about which account the char belongs to.
05/07/21, 07:19 AM   #3
Marazota
launch other accounts from another windows users (under your main user)
this way all addons and settings will be separate
05/07/21, 12:55 PM   #4
Hotzelvit

Thank you, siri and marazota.

@marazota - normally not using multiple win users but that might be the easiest solution. Are you doing this yourself? are there any pitfalls?

@sirisindiator - so 'theoretically'.. I assume that the addon choice in the Eso Character selection window determines - if tickbox is fully activated (hook sign) - whether the default entry in the addonsettings.txt is active or not.. To avoid the account confusion issue one must not use the Main Char selection addon menu at all, but select them individually for each char - would that work? From what I understood you wrote it should?
05/07/21, 01:14 PM   #5
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by Hotzelvit View Post

@marazota - normally not using multiple win users but that might be the easiest solution. Are you doing this yourself? are there any pitfalls?
Downside will be that the game will nomally also use the addons and SavedVariables from each windows users, as it checks for users\<username>\document\elder scrolls online\live
But you could "symlink" (What are symbolic links?) the different live/AddOns and live/SavedVariable folders. Do not symlink all "live" folders! Or the AddonSettings.txt will be symlinked and you are at the same problem you actually got

Originally Posted by Hotzelvit View Post
@sirisindiator - so 'theoretically'.. I assume that the addon choice in the Eso Character selection window determines - if tickbox is fully activated (hook sign) - whether the default entry in the addonsettings.txt is active or not.. To avoid the account confusion issue one must not use the Main Char selection addon menu at all, but select them individually for each char - would that work? From what I understood you wrote it should?
As long as your character names are different at each account this should work, yes.
05/09/21, 04:13 AM   #6
Hotzelvit

Thank you, Baertram, for weighing in. A good weekend to the big guy!

- to the symlink suggestion: tried to make sense of it although unfamiliar with win multiple user accounts and symlink:
as the game, regardless of which windows user is active, checks all 'addon' and 'saved variables' files (by any win user account), to keep 'addon' and 'saved variables' folders apart, user by user, one would have to 'symlink' these folders for every win-acc in such a way that each win acc accesses a different set of 'addon' - 'saved variables' folders whenever the game is launched from that acc. [so, for example, somewhere separate from the live folder I keep 3 different sets of 'addon' and 'saved variables' each of which will individually be linked to one win-user-profile by manipulating said folders under 'live' via symlink
(not gonna do this but wanted to try to explicate the suggestion in this thread if unearthed)

- gonna do the painful 36 char individual configuration, because relogging and the transfer of the live folder to another rig will be easier: here's how it went so far: at first, disabling all addons in the character selection menu on all 3 accs. Then log in with a char - enable first addon 'Addon-Selector', reload. Activate the addons you want for the char - save pack via addon-selector - reload. For the next chars - same, but loading the previously saved addon-selector-pack makes it easy.
*Here's a caveat: the original problem was that activating addons via the Character Selection Addon menu will have ramifications for addon-activation on other accounts on the same system (see above: 'Default' line entry in addonsettings.txt). IF one default activates an addon this way for all chars on an eso-acc - the tickbox next to the addon will show a HOOK sign. - Now, if you individually activate an addon under each char's addon menu for an acc, there will ALSO be a HOOK sign next to this addon in the overall Char-Selection addon-menu. However, THIS Hook does not mean 'Default activation' but 'activated for all (individually)'. (Checked because on other accs activation hadn't changed). This can be confusing. Best then to ignore the Main addon-menu at all times EXCEPT when installing a new mod: The new mod will be default activated in the overall Addon-menu. So first thing to untick it there and then activate in on the char on which you want to use it (and save/overwrite the addon-selector pack you might be using for that char).

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » 1 install - 3 accounts - addon-problems