02/08/20, 06:43 AM   #1
Mad-orc
Having trouble with minion & windows 10

I don't know if it was the last update with ESO or an update with Microsoft windows 10 but minion no longer works. The game shows no add-ons and the troubleshooting and/or the set-up instructions for use with windows 10 do not reflect what is on my end when trying to set it up. It doesn't give me the options that the instructions say to use. I've tried several times from many sources yours and others to get it to work and I am still looking at a blank page when I open minion.

Please note that I am not pc savvy, so don't assume I know what you are talking about to do what needs to be done. For this I apologize, I am old and didn't grow up with a pc and I don't speak pc lingo.

Example of one of the problems that come up- instructions direct to users/USER/local/add-ons. There is no (local) option to go to. So I have no where to go and don't know what to do after that step.

That is just one of many that come up.
02/08/20, 10:06 AM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hello Mad-Orc,

please first read this troubleshooting Minion thread and try if one of the steps helps:
https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8082

Additional Windows 10 did some security updates in the past patches so you could try this as well:
Search in your windows for "Windows Defender". It is the antivirus tool of Windows. If you use it (and not using any other Antivirus software of other companies) search only for a video/howto add programs/folders to teh whitelist of Windows Defender. e.g.
Code:
How to Whitelist Microsoft Windows Defender
Open Windows Defender Security Center.
Click Virus & threat protection.
Click Virus & threat protection settings.
Scroll down to Exclusions.
Click the Add or remove exclusions.
Click the Add an exclusion button to display a drop-down list.
Select Folder.
Continue with the on-screen directions to add the new folder exclusion.
Add the following folder of Minion and ESO to your Windows Defender Whitelist (Whitelist means "allowed folders" so the Antivirus is not blocking the access to it. As Minion and ESO addons are installed to your c:\users folder and this is especially protected by Windows, you need to allow the folders to be accessed (read/write) to it.)

ESO folder:
c:\users\your windows user name\documents\elder scrolls online\

Minion folders:
c:\users\your windows user name\.minion
c:\users\your windows user name\AppData\Local\Minion
-> If you cannot select the folder AppData then just write it into the folder field manually. It is "hidden" in Windows as it is a special folder. Or you need to search online for "howto show invisible windows folders" e.g.

I hope this helps!
02/09/20, 07:27 PM   #3
Mad-orc
I'll give it a try. Thanks for your effort to help.

Ok, I got minion installed and my 4 addons picked. It's in the right file path but I still don't have any add-ons in the game. Something I noticed also is that in the game character window, it use to have under settings addons, but that isn't there anymore. That is where I would go to personalize my addons. Could this be the problem and how would I fix that?

Last edited by Mad-orc : 02/09/20 at 09:28 PM.
02/10/20, 02:51 AM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
If the character selection does not show any addons then the game does not recognize the addons anymore or tehy are in teh wrong folder.

Search with windows for this file (it contains the addons you have enabled for your characters at the char selection screen):
AddOnSettings.txt

Where is this file located on your disks?
The last updated file should be the correct one if you got more than 1.
Your addons should be located in the subfolder "AddOns" in that folder where you have found the file.
02/10/20, 06:50 AM   #5
Mad-orc
I did (ALL) of your suggestions and troubleshooting tips that you posted and all that where on that link you sent and none of it worked. The minion program keeps making it's own folder and puts all the addons in it and they won't link to the game no matter what I change or how they are directed to go.

I have done each and every step that you and everyone else have sent and/or directed me to do, and it keeps doing the same thing.

I even contacted "asked to help" from my virus protection, Microsoft, the Geek squad and others and nothing worked. I am literally at my wits end. Why doesn't this work any more? Playing ESO without addons SUCKS.

Thanks for your help anyway.
02/10/20, 10:37 AM   #6
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
If Minion puts the addons into a folder which the game does not recognizes:

What folder does it put the addons in exactly? -> e.g. c:\users\orc\documents\elder scrolls online\live\AddOns
Where is the AddOnSettings.txt file located on your disk? -> e.g. c:\users\orc\documents\elder scrolls online\live\

Are those 2 folders in the same "base folder" (e.g. c:\users\orc\documents\elder scrolls online\live)?

If not:
Copy the addons from the Minion folder (after updating them with Minion) to the folder where the "AddOnSettings.txt" file is located -> Into the subfolder "AddOns".
Allow this folder in your Antivirus and Windows Defender + Firewall.

Maybe this works and is semi-manual than.
If not I'm not sure what is the problem and can only guess:

Some program restricts the ESO game to access the folder where the addons are in (normally something like c:\users\orc\documents\elder scrolls online\live\AddOns).
Or you got Microsoft OneDrive installed and activated and MS OneDrive has moved your complete
c:\users\orc\documents\ folder to OneDrive, so that ESO cannot access it anymore properly.
Open the onedrive folder and move the documents folder back to the original folder at c:\users\orc\documents again.

But attention: Your documents folder is than not monitored by OneDrive anymore and thus it will not be backuped in the MS OneDrive cloud anymore.
02/13/20, 10:12 AM   #7
Mad-orc
found the problem

Acer, Microsoft & I found the problem after 3 hrs of trying to find the trouble. I can't fix my pc because it is broke & can't be fixed. The update that I need doesn't exist, so I can't do the update to get my pc working right so I can use minion & other programs. My pc is now a $4k+ piece of crap. I just love how pc's enhance my life. I would laugh at that but can't stop crying (nr).
02/13/20, 12:15 PM   #8
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Sorry to read that.
But "The update that I need doesn't exist" sounds a bit weird
If it is a software problem it should be fixable by the vendors of the software, and espeically if you have payed for the software (Windows, Acer drivers, whatever).

What did they tell you "is the problem"?
Maybe there is a workaround for this somehow.
02/14/20, 10:06 AM   #9
Mad-orc
MS found that BIOS is out dated by 7yrs., and said contact acer and they will be able to help. Well they (acer) said that BIOS is the motherboard and that they would not do it and recommended that I don't. They only had one update available anyway and it was for a windows 8 laptop series model and that there was no BIOS update for my cpu model. Apparently my pc is to old and this model is not supported by the manufacturer. So to make a long story short, I have a really expensive table ornament. That can no longer be updated, that means all my drivers.
02/15/20, 04:00 AM   #10
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Whatever the bios update could change that your stuff is not accessible anymore (as it worked before you said), so maybe the security settings of the bios or whatever.

Sad to read, if this really is the reason I cnanot help
02/15/20, 04:54 AM   #11
Mad-orc
Thanks for trying, at least you tried to help which is more than Acer did.
02/15/20, 09:59 AM   #12
Marcus
I really want to say this, literally, cannot be true. But, sadly, Acer did the same thing to me a few years back with their "Mulitmedia Laptop". I'm going to suggest some things you probably already tried, just in case. Sometimes you get a tech help desk guy that thinks he knows more than he does. Did you ask to speak to a supervisor? Tell them you'll have to post on Facebook, Twitter, to warn people that buying Acer might save them a few bucks, but they'll be on their own if something goes wrong after the warranty. If they still can't come up with a solution, they suck, but there isn't much for you to do about it.

Is this a laptop? With a laptop I'm afraid your options are slim. There is a chance you can revert Windows 10 back to an earlier version that doesn't conflict with your BIOS. Honestly, that's what I would try first. You may have to pay for Win 10 Pro (AFTER you make sure the earlier version fixes things!), because you'll have to turn off updates, and the other flavors of Win 10 don't let you do that. Sadly your only other options are sell it and use the money for something new or just use it for simple tasks until it dies.

If it's a desktop you can fit a standard motherboard in, you could replace it. After seven years, you should be able to find a decent motherboard upgrade for less than $100, and a really nice one for $150 or so (US$). If you're willing to do some real work, you might be able to find one that you can use the same processor in, but it will probably cost just as much as a newer motherboard. A full upgrade - motherboard, processor, and memory, would cost you less than $500 if you don't go too crazy on the processor you want. Whatever you get, check that the power supply is big enough to handle it.

I always buy cheap on laptops - either a refurb, or clearance, or.. my current laptop is a Lenovo gamer that I got for almost half price on Craigslist - parents bought it to replace one their college kid had, then Lenovo ended up sending him one for free when they couldn't fix the old one. If you go that route, or any person-to-person deal... Verify, verify, verify. Ask them for proof of their identity and address and to sign a sales receipt. It won't stop real scammers, but it will keep the amateurs from taking your money and giving you crap. And never give a private person your credit card number or access to a bank account! Cash or a money card only. I don't even buy anything on eBay (or AliExpress, or...) over $50, but I'm poor and paranoid like that.

Hoping for the best for you.

ESOUI » Site Forums » Minion » Having trouble with minion & windows 10