05/25/22, 05:49 PM   #1
Ladyannoyu
Arrow Minion wont run

I have installed and uninstalled Minion so many times. I have read and done the suggestions made in the troubleshooting comments. Minion will install correctly and completely but I get this error.

"Minion is unable to connect to the internet. Please check your firewall, security & proxy settings. Please visit our Help & Support page for additional information."

I have added Minion to my allowable firewall exemptions and it still will not run. I have been doing this for several weeks now and if ANYONE knows how to fix this I would be much appreciatve.
05/25/22, 07:07 PM   #2
wookiefriseur

Lightbulb

Are you able to reach the host?

If you don't know how to check and assuming you're using Windows:
  1. Press keys: Windows+R (for Run dialogue)
  2. Enter the command: cmd
  3. Run this in terminal: tracert cdn.mmoui.com
  4. And also: tracert api.mmoui.com
This command tries to show the route your request takes to reach the Minion server.

If it does not complete, then the issue could be:
  1. you might be getting denied by Cloudflare (for instance if using a blacklisted VPN Server)
  2. your hosts file/DNS server is redirecting you to some other page
  3. your firewall is blocking the server
  4. some Problem with Java not having access to your network adapter
If I were you I would try to rule out the Firewall first:

Does your Firewall have a "Gamemode" or something like "Allow all for 5 min"? That way you could test if it even is a Firewall issue. Just disabling the Firewall sometimes blocks even more, for safety reasons.

If you can exclude the Firewall a look at the Minion log might be interesting:

Log is in
Code:
%HOMEPATH%\.minion
or open Minion, go to Settings, scroll down until you see "Event Log" and press the button "Open Log"
  1. Best delete the log first, so you get a fresh one
  2. then start Minion
  3. let it show its error
  4. close it again
  5. inspect you log or upload it here for us to check
05/25/22, 09:44 PM   #3
Ladyannoyu
Minion event log

Here is the event log. I have no idea what I am doing. I tried to go into my firewall settings and now I have a message saying there need to find an app to open it. But when I search, The Microsoft store can't find anything for Microsoft Defender or Microsoft Security. I did remove the data from this post that has my IP address and user information.
Log:
INFO 2022-05-25 17:37:38,892 [JavaFX Application Thread] gg.minion.Minion:start(43): Attempting to start Minion...
INFO 2022-05-25 17:37:39,560 [JavaFX Application Thread] gg.minion.util.ConfigurationManager:loadConfig(1192): Configuration file does not exist. Creating ...
INFO 2022-05-25 17:37:39,643 [JavaFX Application Thread] gg.minion.Minion:logSystemInformation(127): os.name=Windows 10
INFO 2022-05-25 17:37:39,644 [JavaFX Application Thread] gg.minion.Minion:logSystemInformation(128): os.version=10.0
INFO 2022-05-25 17:37:39,644 [JavaFX Application Thread] gg.minion.Minion:logSystemInformation(129): os.arch=x86
INFO 2022-05-25 17:37:39,644 [JavaFX Application Thread] gg.minion.Minion:logSystemInformation(130): java.runtime.version=1.8.0_92-b14
INFO 2022-05-25 17:37:39,644 [JavaFX Application Thread] gg.minion.Minion:logSystemInformation(131): java.class.path=C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Minion\app\Minion-jfx.jar;lib/httpclient-4.5.2.jar;lib/httpcore-4.4.4.jar;lib/commons-logging-1.2.jar;lib/commons-codec-1.9.jar;lib/commons-configuration-1.10.jar;lib/commons-lang-2.6.jar;lib/commons-jxpath-1.3.jar;lib/commons-collections-3.2.2.jar;lib/jackson-mapper-asl-1.9.13.jar;lib/jackson-core-asl-1.9.13.jar;lib/junrar-0.7.jar;lib/commons-logging-api-1.1.jar;lib/commons-vfs2-2.0.jar;lib/maven-scm-api-1.4.jar;lib/plexus-utils-1.5.6.jar;lib/maven-scm-provider-svnexe-1.4.jar;lib/maven-scm-provider-svn-commons-1.4.jar;lib/regexp-1.3.jar;lib/kefirbb-1.1.jar;lib/commons-io-2.4.jar;lib/jsr305-3.0.1.jar;lib/junique-1.0.4.jar;lib/jregex-1.2_01.jar;lib/controlsfx-8.40.11.jar;lib/log4j-api-2.6.2.jar;lib/log4j-core-2.6.2.jar
INFO 2022-05-25 17:37:39,645 [JavaFX Application Thread] gg.minion.Minion:logSystemInformation(132): java.library.path=C:\Users\....\AppData\Local\Minion\app;C:\Users\....\AppData\Local\Minion
INFO 2022-05-25 17:37:39,645 [JavaFX Application Thread] gg.minion.Minion:logSystemInformation(133): user.language=en
INFO 2022-05-25 17:37:39,645 [JavaFX Application Thread] gg.minion.Minion:logSystemInformation(134): user.home=C:\Users\....
DEBUG 2022-05-25 17:37:40,134 [JavaFX Application Thread] gg.minion.controller.MinionController:initWindowControls(504): Controls initialized.
DEBUG 2022-05-25 17:37:40,136 [JavaFX Application Thread] gg.minion.util.FeedClient:checkNetworkConnections(106): Starting network check ...
DEBUG 2022-05-25 17:37:40,137 [JavaFX Application Thread] gg.minion.util.FeedClient:getRoutePlanner(61): System Default Http Proxy.
WARN 2022-05-25 17:37:40,211 [Thread-8] gg.minion.util.FeedClient:run(164): IOException: api.mmoui.com
DEBUG 2022-05-25 17:37:40,671 [Thread-9] gg.minion.util.FeedClient:run(159): Ping Status for http://cdn.mmoui.com/: 200
ERROR 2022-05-25 17:37:40,672 [JavaFX Application Thread] gg.minion.controller.MinionController:<init>(147): Catching javafx.fxml.LoadException:
file:/C:/Users/.../AppData/Local/Minion/app/Minion-jfx.jar!/gg/minion/fxml/Minion.fxml

at javafx.fxml.FXMLLoader.constructLoadException(FXMLLoader.java:2601)
at javafx.fxml.FXMLLoader.loadImpl(FXMLLoader.java:2571)
at javafx.fxml.FXMLLoader.loadImpl(FXMLLoader.java:2441)
at javafx.fxml.FXMLLoader.load(FXMLLoader.java:2409)
at gg.minion.controller.MinionController.<init>(MinionController.java:145)
at gg.minion.Minion.start(Minion.java:64)
at com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.lambda$launchApplication1$162(LauncherImpl.java:863)
at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runAndWait$175(PlatformImpl.java:326)
at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$null$173(PlatformImpl.java:295)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$174(PlatformImpl.java:294)
at com.sun.glass.ui.InvokeLaterDispatcher$Future.run(InvokeLaterDispatcher.java:95)
at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication._runLoop(Native Method)
at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication.lambda$null$148(WinApplication.java:191)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflec*****thod.invoke(Method.java:498)
at sun.reflect.misc.Trampoline.invoke(MethodUtil.java:71)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor1.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflec*****thod.invoke(Method.java:498)
at sun.reflect.misc.MethodUtil.invoke(MethodUtil.java:275)
at javafx.fxml.FXMLLoader.loadImpl(FXMLLoader.java:2566)
... 13 more
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at gg.minion.controller.GamePane.startMedRecAd(GamePane.java:89)
at gg.minion.controller.MinionController.startMedRecAd(MinionController.java:178)
at gg.minion.controller.MinionController.initialize(MinionController.java:161)
... 23 more

INFO 2022-05-25 20:57:42,384 [JavaFX Application Thread] gg.minion.controller.MinionController:lambda$initWindowControls$11(442): Sending to systray.
INFO 2022-05-25 21:28:57,879 [JavaFX Application Thread] gg.minion.Minion:start(43): Attempting to start Minion...
INFO 2022-05-25 21:28:57,885 [JavaFX Application Thread] gg.minion.Minion:start(51): Sending Minion re-open request...
INFO 2022-05-25 21:28:57,892 [JUnique/Server/gg.minion.Minion/Connection] gg.minion.Minion:lambda$start$0(45): Received request to re-opened Minion...
DEBUG 2022-05-25 21:28:57,893 [JUnique/Server/gg.minion.Minion/Connection] gg.minion.controller.MinionControllerpen(311): Starting new Minion instance.
INFO 2022-05-25 21:28:57,893 [JUnique/Server/gg.minion.Minion/Connection] gg.minion.Minion:lambda$start$0(47): Minion re-opened.
INFO 2022-05-25 21:29:04,559 [JavaFX Application Thread] gg.minion.controller.MinionController:lambda$initWindowControls$11(442): Sending to systray.

Last edited by Ladyannoyu : 05/25/22 at 09:48 PM.
05/26/22, 05:49 AM   #4
himbeerschaf
I'm having the same problem, we've been at it for a week now.
I'm so frustrated.

Same error message, also tried everything (including getting my java to use IPv4; reinstalling several times, skipping the network check entirely - which led to minion simply not loading without error message).

If anyone out there knows anything else to try, for the love of all, let us know.

Edit: I just saw that my log file doesn't even say something about the ping status, here's what this part looks like for me:

DEBUG 2022-05-26 13:11:22,641 [JavaFX Application Thread] gg.minion.util.FeedClient:checkNetworkConnections(106): Starting network check ...
DEBUG 2022-05-26 13:11:22,642 [JavaFX Application Thread] gg.minion.util.FeedClient:getRoutePlanner(61): System Default Http Proxy.
WARN 2022-05-26 13:11:22,793 [Thread-7] gg.minion.util.FeedClient:run(164): IOException: Connection reset
WARN 2022-05-26 13:11:22,793 [Thread-8] gg.minion.util.FeedClient:run(164): IOException: Connection reset
ERROR 2022-05-26 13:11:22,793 [JavaFX Application Thread] gg.minion.controller.MinionController:<init>(147): Catching javafx.fxml.LoadException:
file:/E:/Minion/app/Minion-jfx.jar!/gg/minion/fxml/Minion.fxml
05/26/22, 06:38 AM   #5
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
@himbeerschaaf
System Default Http Proxy.
It says it truies to use a proxy to connect to the internet and fails there.
check your web browser proxy settigs and the windows proxy settings and disable any proxy that is entered there if you are sure you would normally not use any proxy.

A proxy is redirecting the data to some other IP to "normall" ease the loading of websites (from a cache e.g.) but it also could be that some malware has installed a proxy to reroute the internet traffic to other sites so they are able to spy you!
So check your system for any proxy enabled and disable it.

Else:
Did you try point 13. from the troubleshooting guide https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8082
already as it often is the cause of that problem!

Last edited by Baertram : 05/26/22 at 06:43 AM.
05/26/22, 06:42 AM   #6
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
@Ladyannoyu
Ping Status for http://cdn.mmoui.com/: 200 tries to send a ping (a short attempt to see if the address exists) to the ESOUI websites for Minion and fails.

Did you try point 13. from the troubleshooting guide https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8082

It could be that your ISP internet IP is blocked by cloudflare (a website that checks the traffic for several other websites like esoui/minion and protects it).
Please reach out to Dolby via private message and tell him your IP address of your Internet connection so he can check if it is blocked at cloudflare.
05/27/22, 04:03 AM   #7
himbeerschaf
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
@himbeerschaaf
System Default Http Proxy.
It says it truies to use a proxy to connect to the internet and fails there.
check your web browser proxy settigs and the windows proxy settings and disable any proxy that is entered there if you are sure you would normally not use any proxy.

A proxy is redirecting the data to some other IP to "normall" ease the loading of websites (from a cache e.g.) but it also could be that some malware has installed a proxy to reroute the internet traffic to other sites so they are able to spy you!
So check your system for any proxy enabled and disable it.
Thank you for your answer
I checked my proxy settings again - I'm not using one. It's empty.

Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Else:
Like I said above, I already tried setting my Java to Ipv4 (which is .13), didn't work.
We've really been at it for over a week now, me + Sysadmin Husband. We're really at our ends.

I also tried both the tracerts, both work fine.

Anything else I could try?

Edit: Kinda doubt it's my ISP, every website and everything else works besides minion. If it was my ISP, half of Germany would be blocked since it's Vodafone. I'll let my husband check his minion later today, we're on the same connection, just to be sure.

Edit 2: 2nd PC in the same room has no trouble starting Minion and updating everything, so it's def. nothing with my connection / ISP. Oh my. I'll start labelling my whole system as "esoteric".

Last edited by himbeerschaf : 05/27/22 at 09:10 AM.
05/27/22, 03:48 PM   #8
wookiefriseur

Question

Originally Posted by himbeerschaf View Post
Edit 2: 2nd PC in the same room has no trouble starting Minion and updating everything, so it's def. nothing with my connection / ISP. Oh my. I'll start labelling my whole system as "esoteric".
Did it work before? If so, then what happened/changed?

If it is a fresh install: Just reinstall Windows. Usually not worth the bother to pinpoint such a problem.

Some pointers for more advanced users (which is the case here):

If you REALLY want to invest the time and find out what happens and why, I would look at the network communication of Minion first (for instance with Wireshark):

(that's what it looks like when the connection does not reset)
  • are you using a hardware firewall? check the rulesets and logs, try to connect your Minion PC through your phone internet instead of your home network
  • has the Windows installation been modified in some way? (disabled services, split user accounts, enabled/disabled features, utf8, not activated)
  • is your PC clock set to the correct time and date?
  • are there other JAVA installations and global environment settings conflicting with the Minion JVM?
  • does this also happen with a newly created Windows user? (new local admin account)
  • check network card packet sizes and settings, try a different network card or connection if possible
05/28/22, 10:53 AM   #9
himbeerschaf
Originally Posted by wookiefriseur View Post
Did it work before? If so, then what happened/changed?
It did, with this windows installation. Good question, though. Unfortunately I took a break in playing ESO, and it's been a very, very long time since I last used Minion (never uninstalled). I changed a lot in the meantime, no chance to pinpoint when exactly it started to cause trouble.

If it is a fresh install: Just reinstall Windows. Usually not worth the bother to pinpoint such a problem.

Some pointers for more advanced users (which is the case here):

If you REALLY want to invest the time and find out what happens and why, I would look at the network communication of Minion first (for instance with Wireshark):
I do! Wireshark is an excellent idea, I never thought in that direction. Thank you!

• are you using a hardware firewall? check the rulesets and logs, try to connect your Minion PC through your phone internet instead of your home network
  • has the Windows installation been modified in some way? (disabled services, split user accounts, enabled/disabled features, utf8, not activated)
  • is your PC clock set to the correct time and date?
  • are there other JAVA installations and global environment settings conflicting with the Minion JVM?
  • does this also happen with a newly created Windows user? (new local admin account)
  • check network card packet sizes and settings, try a different network card or connection if possible

There's a couple of points in there that I'll have to forward to my better half, he did the setups and I admit I'm stumped :'D

Thank you so much for your reply, that is a lot of information in there. <3
And you spent a lot of time with my problem, I'm really grateful

I will def. check all the points you mentioned, just the reinstalling windows is not a possibility atm, I'm working from home (translator) and my software is super icky when it goes to reinstalling (licenses n stuff always act up). But I'll set a weekend aside for a format C if everything else fails.
Will be my last resort (even though, let's be honest, it might fix everything wrong with this machine).

I do suspect that something went with my windows updates at one point; I just found out that I'm having network connection errors when trying to boot up the windows store, so that's a lead, I guess.
I'll try to fix that problem first, then I'll return to your suggestions.

Will update once that's done

Thank you!
05/28/22, 12:18 PM   #10
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Check your "hosts" file, maybe it is directing network somewhere wrong:
https://www.heise.de/tipps-tricks/Ho...n-4928321.html

Or try to change the DNS used to some other, not the one your ISP provides.
Alternative examples are descriebd here at the antivirus side of Avast for example:
https://support.avast.com/de-de/arti...ubleshoot-DNS/

Can be "maybe" changed at your Router too, instead at your local network connection (lan or wlan adapter settings).
06/04/22, 02:11 AM   #11
himbeerschaf
So we *finally* got it to run and I swear, if I was not married to a sysadmin who sees this stuff happening on my PC with his own eyes, no one would believe me.

Since I had trouble with my Microsoft Store, and as a result, suddenly with my XboX app, we tried fixing those two first. I got error codes, stating that both could not connect to the internet (even though my internet was fine), which is why we thought it might be connected to Minion having the same issue.

We did *everything* written in these guides:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e-f03a2685c7b7

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windo...ode-0x80072efd

(GER) https://basic-tutorials.de/ratgeber/...kannst-du-tun/

Yet after all this, it still wouldn't work.
So I created, for funsies, a test user account on my local machine to check if my user was corrupted.
I logged out of my main user, logged in with my new user, checked the store - it still did not work.
I logged out of the new test user, and relogged with my main user - and SUDDENLY the store worked.

That's how I learned that logging out is technically something entirely different for windows than shutting down your machine. Sounds logical now, but who would've thought of that?

So my store suddenly got a connection.
Next was the XboX app, which still didn't run.
What my husband did there was a bunch of repairs, then an uninstall, then a cleaning thingy and after a couple of reboots, that one started working, too.

Still, Minion kept on saying it had no connection to the internet.

I am sorry if all the above feels useless and is not directly connected to the Minion-problem.
I can kinda see that, too. But I know my system.
I swear, even though we seemingly found the culprit later, all the steps we did before did *something*.

So here's the juicy part:

Kaspersky. My Anti Virus.

I did check that one before, multiple times.
I did create rules for Minion to pass through, just in case.
I did try disabling it completely before. Which also didn't help.

We did an uninstall, a cleanup, a reinstall - and Minion suddenly worked.

Something must have gone wrong with my Kaspersky installation.
After the reinstall, I didn't even need a special ruleset for Minion.

It just worked.

Now there's all that Microsoft Store stuff above because I swear, it was not just Kaspersky alone.
We tried that before by disabling it.

So all that's left for me to say is ... thank you for coming to my TED talk?
This was exhausting.

@Baertram @wookiefriseur
Thank you so, so much!
We also tried what you posted, I checked my hosts file (which is okay despite some deliberate entries that I made myself) and my sysadmin did all the DNS/router/modem magics (and almost everything else from your longer, previous post).
So, something DID work.

I cannot thank you both enough for all the time and effort you put in here.
Is there something I can do for you? Maybe ingame (if you're playing on PCEU)?

Last edited by himbeerschaf : 06/04/22 at 02:47 AM.
06/04/22, 09:34 AM   #12
wookiefriseur

Glad to hear it works for you now. Too many things have been changed to identifiy what exactly happened. But it very well might have been the Kaspersky Internet Security suite. Maybe a combination of multiple things.

PS, if I were you I would not use Kaspersky at the moment: https://www.bsi.bund.de/DE/Service-N...y-Warnung.html

I cannot thank you both enough for all the time and effort you put in here.
Is there something I can do for you? Maybe ingame (if you're playing on PCEU)?
No worries, troubleshooting is relaxing to me. And you solved your problem yourselves.
But you can send me 1x Banana ingame, if that makes you feel better (PC-EU: @wookiefriseur).

ESOUI » Site Forums » Minion » Minion wont run