09/28/20, 02:09 PM   #1
BoarGules

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Some changes to addon's folder cause addon not to load, no error message

Up to now I've always had a symlink from live\AddOns\MyAddon to my actual development folder.
But that stopped working and I assumed that ESO had suddenly decided it did not like symlinks.

So instead I installed a folder monitor utility that tracks changes in the development folder and copies any changes to live\AddOns\MyAddon.

But that seems to work only some of the time. Occasionally after such a copy, a /reloadui or even a game restart completely fails to load the addon (in other words the game acts like it's not even there), even if no change was made to the code, with no error message. The only cure seems to be to reinstall and then manually drop just a .lua file with changes into the addon folder. That works but it's not a good way to do debugging.

Clearly ESO objects to some artefact of the copy process (the folder monitor does naturally write a log of what it does) or ... well, something. Before I spend time trying to find out by trial and error what causes ESO to throw a hissy fit, I thought I would ask here. It looks as though it is by design, so maybe somebody knows what it's objecting to and why.
09/28/20, 02:23 PM   #2
sirinsidiator

I've been using both scripts to copy files into the live folder and symlinks without any problems for years. Not sure what made it stop working for you. The game itself definitely still accepts both methods with no issue. Maybe some antivirus software is interfering? Make sure you whitelist your live folder.
09/28/20, 03:41 PM   #3
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Windows 10 updates also jumped in there, disallowing changes as it is your users folder. Epsecially the standrd windows tool Defender acted like a real protector in the past already.
So make sure the whitelist allows changes to the addons and savedvariables folders.

And I also remember someone having problems with other installed software, no antirvirus or similar, but it was something else.
Did a search for it but wasn't able to find it anymore so far

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Some changes to addon's folder cause addon not to load, no error message