05/10/14, 11:35 PM   #1
heyguyslol
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
AddOn Profiles

I don't know if this has been requested or not but in case it has not here is my request.

I would like an AddOn that allows you to setup different profiles for AddOns. For example there are certain addons I use just for questing, pvp, vendoring/bank/guild store, provision, woodwork, ore farming etc. Having all these addons even with a beast pc can still cause some game performance problems.

Since I have so many AddOns there are some that either conflict with others and/or having all the addons enabled causes some in game lagg. Having the option to create AddOn profiles that you can select and hit reloadui to enable would be great for someone like myself who has a lot of addons.

Oh one more thing, would be nice to be able to bind hotkeys for the profiles so you can create macro's for profile 1 & reloadui, profile 2 & reloadui, ect.

Another nice feature would be to add an option to enable or disable all addon's with a simple check box instead of having to go thru each addon individually to set on or off, would just make things a bit faster.

Thanks for any consideration into an AddOn with these features.

heyguyslol

Last edited by heyguyslol : 05/10/14 at 11:46 PM.
05/10/14, 11:49 PM   #2
heyguyslol
Just found this for the enable/disable all addons.

http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info4...onClearer.html
05/11/14, 04:32 AM   #3
ESO
had same idea this morning, would love such thing
05/11/14, 07:01 AM   #4
CatoTheElder
IMO there is no point writing an add-on to deal with poorly written addons. In both the cases you mentioned:

1) Addons conflict
2) Addons cause lag

the addons should be optimized, and they should also have a toggle option if you want to hide them.

I suggest speaking with the addon developer(s) about the problem.
05/11/14, 07:54 AM   #5
heyguyslol
Originally Posted by CatoTheElder View Post
IMO there is no point writing an add-on to deal with poorly written addons. In both the cases you mentioned:

1) Addons conflict
2) Addons cause lag

the addons should be optimized, and they should also have a toggle option if you want to hide them.

I suggest speaking with the addon developer(s) about the problem.
Well yes that is your opinion but not really conducive to this thread. There are lots of ppl creating great addons that are new to it and yes some are poorly written but you are bound to get a few poorly written addons when you use so many. Simply expecting everyone to write a perfect addon is flat out delusional imo. Even some of the most experienced addon writters have problems with their addons just look at wykkyds addons they have lots of problems.
05/11/14, 09:57 AM   #6
CatoTheElder
Originally Posted by heyguyslol View Post
Well yes that is your opinion but not really conducive to this thread. There are lots of ppl creating great addons that are new to it and yes some are poorly written but you are bound to get a few poorly written addons when you use so many. Simply expecting everyone to write a perfect addon is flat out delusional imo. Even some of the most experienced addon writters have problems with their addons just look at wykkyds addons they have lots of problems.
Sorry I wasn't clear, let me try again. You're a ****ing idiot. Stop running so many addons that makes your game lag "even with a beast pc", or at least don't complain about it.

It isn't that I'm against the idea of add-on profiles... I'll probably look at making that in the future, if there isn't one out by the time I get around to it.

Its primarily the attitude of accepting and justifying poor quality work without providing feedback. I would agree it would be delusional to expect efficient and non-conflicting addons, if we were working for a software company with publicly traded shares, that was primarily concerned with quarterly revenue, releasing knowingly incomplete and untested code for sale. I've done that for years, but now I own a private software company, where I can write highly optimized, good quality software.

Now, if everyone took your attitude, the developers would not even know of the problems you are having. They'd never have a chance to fix them, or learn how the problems happen, and how to avoid them in the future. Effectively, you're limiting their capability to better themselves as a developer, resulting in continued creation of poor quality releases due to lack of experience, and asking others to help you do that.

Contrary to your radical assertion about everyone writing perfect addons, what I expect is users to report the problems they're having (in as much detail as possible), and developers to keep their addons working well.
05/11/14, 11:41 AM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
CatoTheElder, I invite you to read our Site Rules, particularly #1.

1. Post with respect and courtesy. Debate is fine ... so long as when you disagree with someone, you respond in a civilized and constructive manner.
05/11/14, 06:38 PM   #8
CatoTheElder
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
CatoTheElder, I invite you to read our Site Rules, particularly #1.
Seerah - I'm getting the feeling I've dealt with you before in the WoW addon scene. If you are going to continue like this, please do us both a favour, and stop before things escalate.

If you want to talk about respect and courtesy, start with the person named "higuyslol" implying I have delusional disorder. I'm pretty sure this isn't a psychiatric consultation forum.

After that, please look at how much time I spend providing clarification, further information, and explanations to back my opinions. That is directly a favour to those who do this "as a hobby". I repetitively encourage improvement and learning.

Last edited by CatoTheElder : 05/11/14 at 06:41 PM.
05/11/14, 08:15 PM   #9
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
CatoTheElder, I don't care if you've met someone somewhere else previously. I don't care if you are God's Gift to Coding. I don't care if you aren't. What I care about is you treating people with respect and courtesy, as per our site rules, exactly as Seerah reminded you. Calling people "****ing idiots", telling them to stop being 'butt-hurt", etc. is not treating them with respect and courtesy. Continuing to do so will earn you a vacation from the site. Jumping down the throat of any of my volunteers? Doing that again will earn you more than a simple vacation from the site. Play nicely.
05/11/14, 11:58 PM   #10
CatoTheElder
I do my best to return the courtesy extended to me. I have politely asked multiple times for your crowd to stop escalating things! Allow me to post the snippets from my previous posts as reference.

Please note, my post was directed at another "professional".
...please do us both a favour, and stop before things escalate.
P.S. Can we get a /thread soon? People have argued over this for years, I expect things will only get worse.
Well... I'm just repeating myself now, I guess things haven't changed much in the past 5 years. As I said back then, when you have something more productive than biased e-threats to contribute, I'll listen.
05/12/14, 10:14 AM   #11
heyguyslol
If you want to talk about respect and courtesy, start with the person named "higuyslol" implying I have delusional disorder. I'm pretty sure this isn't a psychiatric consultation forum.
I never said you had a delusional disorder. You have taken my words and twisted them around in an attempt to put immature behavior and blame on our recent disagreement, on me.

A delusion is a belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary. [1] As a pathology, it is distinct from a belief based on false or incomplete information, confabulation, dogma, illusion, or other effects of perception.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delusion

After that, please look at how much time I spend providing clarification, further information, and explanations to back my opinions. That is directly a favour to those who do this "as a hobby". I repetitively encourage improvement and learning.
How much time you have spent? You have a total of 24 posts. Hardly enough to consider yourself a great contributor to this site.

Unfortunately you are taking the negative attitude of a typical TROLL and I will no longer respond to such a person as you any further, good day sir.

Last edited by heyguyslol : 05/12/14 at 10:18 AM.
05/12/14, 10:19 AM   #12
Nitewalker
As a newbie here and seeing this thread, I believe you all have valid points, with the foolish banter excluded.

IMO, heyguyslol has great ideas to profile the addons into various functional classes (action packs, whatever) according to quests, pvp , raid/dungeon, bank, loot, etc. with the ability to disable or enable a certain set of addons depending on the situation while somehow disabling the others.

CatoThe Elder, great idea for optimization and a toggle to hide them. Regardless of how well a program is written, they still take up space, both on the drive and on the screen. Optimization goes a long way to minimize this and a toggle to keep the play screen relatively clear when necessary.

Also, although I am not a programmer or coder, I do know that if a problem isn't mentioned it doesn't get fixed. Great suggestion to let the developer/author know what is happening in as much detail as possible so they can put their expertise to work and iron out additional bugs as possible. I'm a strong proponent of this and respect it tremendously.

Both moderators/administrators were right in pointing out the "rules of the road". Banter excluded, this to me was a great tread with some good suggestions.
05/12/14, 10:40 AM   #13
heyguyslol
Originally Posted by Nitewalker View Post
Also, although I am not a programmer or coder, I do know that if a problem isn't mentioned it doesn't get fixed. Great suggestion to let the developer/author know what is happening in as much detail as possible so they can put their expertise to work and iron out additional bugs as possible. I'm a strong proponent of this and respect it tremendously.
When I have a problem that I'm able to isolate to a specific AddOn I always take the time to go post on the comments for the AddOn so others (including the Author) can read and sometimes I pm the Author directly. I've even created highlight videos showing the problem so they can see it in a video. However, the point I was trying to make but didn't exactly spell out was when you use a lot of addons you sometimes run into problems where some addons conflict or just don't allow the game to run well.

Finding the conflicting addon can be a very time consuming process and even if you do find it and inform both authors that doesn't guarantee they can collaborate to fix the problem hence why I requested the "AddOn Profiler". Besides that is not the only reason, just simply having all addons enabled when you are not using them during certain game play puts more work on your client than there needs to be which as I stated can cause game lagg or other performance issues.

Currently the issue I have with certain addons which I have yet to pin point is when I AOE I get some game freezing/lagg. I know this is due to an addon or conflicting addons because when I disable a good portion of the addons that I'm not actually using during that time the problem goes away but later I need to go back and recheck all the addons disabled to do another action in the game. This is very tedious and quite frankly annoying again why I ask one of our great coders to consider creating an AddOn Profiler.

One other thing not all addons have or require a show/hide option.

Last edited by heyguyslol : 05/12/14 at 10:46 AM.
05/12/14, 10:51 AM   #14
Wobin

I considered trying for some form of binary select/deselect of half the addons, but I couldn't really come up with a viable method that would actually work.

Maybe clicking one addon, then shift clicking one further down would deselect all in between... or something...
05/12/14, 11:04 AM   #15
mra4nii
some idea how i would see this based Addon Clearer.
Manually select/deselect the addons, then save(button) with edit box for profile name.
A dropdow list with saved profiles and load(button) which trigger reload ui.
05/12/14, 12:20 PM   #16
CatoTheElder
Unfortunately you are taking the negative attitude of a typical TROLL and I will no longer respond to such a person as you any further, good day sir.
Awesome, we can focus on the addons now.

some idea how i would see this based Addon Clearer.
Manually select/deselect the addons, then save(button) with edit box for profile name.
A dropdow list with saved profiles and load(button) which trigger reload ui.
Just throwing out some more ideas:
Seems like this would be a nice implementation to MINION, no? Being a keyboard person, I'd love to see slash commands implemented too. Default categories would probably be a good idea: PVP, Raid, Crafting, Exploring etc.

Eventually, this kind of thing could be tied in to a load/save addon settings for easily configuring other/new characters.
05/12/14, 01:37 PM   #17
ingeniousclown
Just throwing out some more ideas:
Seems like this would be a nice implementation to MINION, no?
I don't think so. This would be more at home in the game rather than some external file management tool. Many people would not appreciate the need to alt tab just to change add-ons around.

Being a keyboard person, ...
Wow, you must get a lot of weird looks. How has your peoples' culture changed since the inception of smart phones and text-to-speech?
05/14/14, 12:34 AM   #18
heyguyslol
So I glanced at how many addons I'm using atm and its a total of 37 and I would be using more if I had an AddOn Profiler but until someone has the time and feels that this would be a beneficial addon for those of us who do run a lot of addons I probably wont be able to extend past my current amount.

The other option i'm considering is creating macro in macro express to perform the same action. The problem is scripting the macro would take some time and each time u add or subtract an addon it screws up the script. I'm going to see if the script allows tags for actions so I can set a tag for each addon which would solve the problem.

But seriously I'm no programmer but this really shouldn't be that difficult for someone who knows lua scripting. Sure setting up hotkeys maybe but just setting up a simple profile option for addons should not be that hard for someone who does have that knowledge.
05/15/14, 09:18 PM   #19
Marihk
Hello,

I decided to see if I could develop something that fits your requirements, so I've just uploaded Addon Profiles to the Utility Mods category (I hope you don't mind me using the name that you came up with).

It's features include:
  • A settings menu that gives you 5 profiles to setup.
  • The ability to enable or disable specific mods in each profile.
  • A slash command /addonprofiles, which takes a number from 1 to 5 as an argument, that executes that profile number, enabling/disabling the specified addons, and reloads your UI.
  • Account-wide saved variables, so your profiles are the same across all of your characters.

I've tested it with over 100 addons (116 if you must know), so I think it meets your scalability requirements. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » AddOn Profiles