08/31/15, 01:18 PM   #1
Anceane

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
CHAT ERROR SPAM - help please

Before the patch i was using Multichatwindow and XD4-Chat - no problem.

Before login off last night, i deactivated all addons.
Downloaded the patch, and to be sur to not have any problem, i launched the game with NO folder Elder scroll online letting this game creating it.

I launched the game with NO ADDONS, though as soon as i was in game, i have this message popping and i have on my screen a ghost of the old window created by Multichatwindow.

I do not have access to it, i can not mouse over it because the game goes mad, i can just resize it smaller or larger.

But anyway i can not play as the game chat itself spamm this error probably because of this ghost window.

Any idea of what i can do please ?

THank you

Code:
2015-08-31T15:03:15.687-05:00 |cff0000Lua Error: EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:730: operator # is not supported for # nil
stack traceback:
	EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:730: in function 'SharedChatContainer:PerformLayout'
	EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/PC/ChatSystem.lua:32: in function 'ChatContainer:PerformLayout'
	EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:640: in function '(anonymous)'|r
08/31/15, 02:11 PM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Maybe renaming the following folders could help (which will result into the standard game without any addons etc.).

Close the client and go to the base directory
"c:\users\<your windows username>\documents\The Elder Scrolls Online\live" (or "C:\...liveeu" if you play on the EU servers).

The following folders should be renamed/deleted/moved:
AddOns
SavedVariables (<- this most probably will have a file like "ZO_Ingame.lua" which maybe the error initiator).

Rename them to AddOns_BACKUP and SavedVariables_BACKUP for example.

And then rename the file AddOnSettings.txt too, for example AddOnSettings.txt_BACKUP
Delete the file ShaderCache.cooked (shouldn#t have to do with it but just to be sure )

Maybe rename the file UserSettings.txt too, which will have you to setup all settings ingame again.

Otherwise, if I understood you wrong and you've already deleted all the folders in this directory before:
Nevermind and good luck to solve the issue.
08/31/15, 02:21 PM   #3
Anceane

Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Maybe renaming the following folders could help (which will result into the standard game without any addons etc.).

Close the client and go to the base directory
"c:\users\<your windows username>\documents\The Elder Scrolls Online\live" (or "C:\...liveeu" if you play on the EU servers).

The following folders should be renamed/deleted/moved:
AddOns
SavedVariables (<- this most probably will have a file like "ZO_Ingame.lua" which maybe the error initiator).

Rename them to AddOns_BACKUP and SavedVariables_BACKUP for example.

And then rename the file AddOnSettings.txt too, for example AddOnSettings.txt_BACKUP
Delete the file ShaderCache.cooked (shouldn#t have to do with it but just to be sure )

Maybe rename the file UserSettings.txt too, which will have you to setup all settings ingame again.

Otherwise, if I understood you wrong and you've already deleted all the folders in this directory before:
Nevermind and good luck to solve the issue.

hehe thanks anyway for trying, but i did all that already 3 times )

Then ZOS Jessica, helped me or at least tried too, and i end up with her last message : need to reinstall as the addon did a fairly severe issue to my game (
08/31/15, 02:30 PM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I'm just wondering how the addon can change your game files? This must be some kind of server setting then, isn't it?
Otherwise all the files we are possible to change have been in these directories.
Weird.

Idea:
Did you try the repair function in the launcher?

Another idea (after re-installing. This is what I do):
After a fresh installation + patching copy the whole ESO's launcher and game directory to an external harddrive, or another folder/harddrive.
After each patch you would be able to recopy the last files again from this external harddrive/other directory (assuming that you synch both folders some time after each patch, as you were able to play properly).
This helped me too many times in the past and saved me many hours of reinstalling ;-)

Last edited by Baertram : 08/31/15 at 02:32 PM.
08/31/15, 03:18 PM   #5
Anceane

I'm just wondering how the addon can change your game files? This must be some kind of server setting then, isn't it?
Otherwise all the files we are possible to change have been in these directories.
Weird.

Idea:
Did you try the repair function in the launcher?

Another idea (after re-installing. This is what I do):
After a fresh installation + patching copy the whole ESO's launcher and game directory to an external harddrive, or another folder/harddrive.
After each patch you would be able to recopy the last files again from this external harddrive/other directory (assuming that you synch both folders some time after each patch, as you were able to play properly).
This helped me too many times in the past and saved me many hours of reinstalling ;-)
I just learned the hard way that :
AFAIK chat tabs, their names and settings, are saved on the server. So if you deleted the whole Docs/ESO folder, i.e. all add-ons and saved vars, and the client is still spitting errors, it's likely getting malformed data from the server. I don't want to jump conclusions, but I doubt reinstall will help.
Now my reinstall is almost done, and i must say that i am almost afraid to log in to find out that i can not play anymore ...
08/31/15, 03:36 PM   #6
circonian
It sounds to me like a phantom window problem. The game has code built in to create multiple chat windows, but its not complete & has a few bugs in it. MultiChatWindow turns that feature on & fixes some of the bugs. The extra chat windows are managed by the game, not any addon which is why the window your seeing still exists even though you removed the addons. The reason its causing errors is because, as I said, they didn't finish the code for it, & it doesn't work correctly, but MultiChat fixes those bugs. But since you removed MultiChat , its not there to fix them for you.

My guess is that if you reinstall MultiChatWindow and log in (you may have to log in then reload ui) it will probably fix the problem for you. If not you could install my ChatIt addon which has the ability for MultiChatWindows, turn the multiChatWindow feature on in settings, reload the ui by typing "/reloadui" in the chat window and that should fix it.

If it still does not ChatIt has a built in ability to manually destroy all of the extra chat windows. In the settings menu there is a button that says "Destroy Chat Windows" ("Allow Multiple Chat Windows" must be turned on to use it). If you click that it will definitely get rid of those phantom windows for you. Then if you want you can turn "Allow Multiple Chat Windows" back off, uninstall ChatIt, & Reinstall MultiChatWindows.

Last edited by circonian : 08/31/15 at 04:13 PM.
08/31/15, 03:38 PM   #7
Ayantir

Oh yes, I had this when I was broking my chat for tests
If ChatIt does not work i'll give you something that helps

Last edited by Ayantir : 08/31/15 at 03:43 PM.
08/31/15, 05:38 PM   #8
Anceane

Originally Posted by Ayantir View Post
Oh yes, I had this when I was broking my chat for tests
I went to Chatit, turn in on the Multi windows, but when i wanted to back off that did not worked, i even tried to use the destroy windows ... from chat it, but the button just popped up error and did nothing.

-----------
So after a full reinstall, i even deleted a character to try to past the settings to the others (the new created character does not have that ghost window, but i can not succeed to transfert the settings to the other 7 characters even using Jovast), i must admit i am at a loss and very sad

If you have any other idea i take )

THank you in advance

Last edited by Anceane : 08/31/15 at 05:55 PM.
08/31/15, 06:15 PM   #9
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Did you try the pChat chat setings transfer option already? Maybe this helps to get char1 settings to char2.
On the other hand it always helps if you post the error messages you get here, so circonian can have a look why this maybe didn't work with ChatIt, and is able to fix it somehow.

Just copy&paste the whole error message into a
Code:
CODE
at best.

And the next possible solution is Ayantir's proposal:
Originally Posted by Ayantir
08/31/15, 06:29 PM   #10
Anceane

Did you try the pChat chat setings transfer option already? Maybe this helps to get char1 settings to char2.
On the other hand it always helps if you post the error messages you get here, so circonian can have a look why this maybe didn't work with ChatIt, and is able to fix it somehow.

Just copy&paste the whole error message into a
Code:
CODE
at best.

And the next possible solution is Ayantir's proposal:

))
error i got from Chatit :

Code:
2015-08-31T19:36:16.741-05:00 |cff0000Lua Error: user:/AddOns/ChatIt/ChatIt_Windows.lua:28: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
	user:/AddOns/ChatIt/ChatIt_Windows.lua:28: in function 'DestroyTablessWindow'
	user:/AddOns/ChatIt/ChatIt_Windows.lua:39: in function 'ChatIt.DestroyAllTablessWindows'
	user:/AddOns/ChatIt/ChatIt.lua:252: in function 'SetUpWindows'
	user:/AddOns/ChatIt/ChatIt.lua:323: in function 'ChatIt:Initialize'
	user:/AddOns/ChatIt/ChatIt.lua:308: in function 'OnAddOnLoaded'|r
Code:
2015-08-31T19:36:58.220-05:00 |cff0000Lua Error: user:/AddOns/ChatIt/ChatIt_Windows.lua:28: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
	user:/AddOns/ChatIt/ChatIt_Windows.lua:28: in function 'DestroyTablessWindow'
	user:/AddOns/ChatIt/ChatIt_Windows.lua:39: in function 'ChatIt.DestroyAllTablessWindows'
	user:/AddOns/ChatIt/ChatIt.lua:227: in function 'SetUpOnActivated'|r
Code:
2015-08-31T19:39:05.860-05:00 |cff0000Lua Error: user:/AddOns/ChatIt/ChatIt_Windows.lua:5: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
	user:/AddOns/ChatIt/ChatIt_Windows.lua:5: in function 'DestroyContainerTabs'
	user:/AddOns/ChatIt/ChatIt_Windows.lua:21: in function 'ChatIt.DestroyAllContainers'
	user:/AddOns/ChatIt/ChatIt_Windows.lua:50: in function 'ChatIt.SetMultipleWindows'
	user:/AddOns/ChatIt/ChatIt_Settings.lua:280: in function 'setFunc'
	user:/AddOns/jovAST/libs/LibAddonMenu-2.0/controls/checkbox.lua:63: in function 'UpdateValue'
	user:/AddOns/jovAST/libs/LibAddonMenu-2.0/controls/checkbox.lua:116: in function '(anonymous)'|r
I have more error popped but as some were popping each second, this is really way to long to post here.

In the meantime i will go try Pchat as you said and will come back there for feedback )

And that we succeed or not with this ghost window, i really appreciate all the help you are giving me )

At least i feel less sad about this whole mess of my game )

Thank you again
08/31/15, 06:50 PM   #11
Anceane

Unfortunatly Pchat do not work either.

On the newly created character, there is no problem. Pchat works perfectly

but when i want to log on the other ghosted windows character, the game become irresponsive and a spinning blue circle appear on the screen, baring me to import the settings from the good character.
08/31/15, 07:13 PM   #12
Anceane

ZOS support asked me to put ESO in the exclusions folder Antivirus and to run again a repair.

So here i am running it again.

Code:
EsoUI/Libraries/Utility/ZO_TabButtonGroup.lua:392: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
    EsoUI/Libraries/Utility/ZO_TabButtonGroup.lua:392: in function 'ZO_TabButton_Icon_Initialize'
    EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/PC/ChatSystem.lua:13: in function 'ChatContainer:Initialize'
    EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:298: in function 'SharedChatContainer:New'
    (tail call): ?
    EsoUI/Libraries/Utility/ZO_ObjectPool.lua:116: in function 'ZO_ObjectPool:AcquireObject'
    EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:1720: in function 'SharedChatSystem:CreateChatContainer'
    EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:1509: in function 'SharedChatSystem:LoadChatFromSettings'
    EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/PC/ChatSystem.lua:112: in function 'ZO_ChatSystem:LoadChatFromSettings'
Code:
EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:690: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
    EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:690: in function 'SharedChatContainer:MonitorForMouseExit'
    EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:717: in function 'SharedChatContainer:FadeIn'
    EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:661: in function 'SharedChatContainer:OnMouseEnter'
    EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:2374: in function 'ZO_ChatSystem_OnMouseEnter'
    459568822378751606:3: in function '(main chunk)'
and this did nothing

Last edited by Anceane : 08/31/15 at 07:24 PM.
08/31/15, 07:30 PM   #13
circonian
Oh, woops sorry. Apparently I did not check or must have missed some game code changes on that. ChatIt multiple windows is not working properly either. Although it does properly destroy the phantom window for me when I reload the ui. I'll have a look at it.
08/31/15, 07:46 PM   #14
Anceane

Originally Posted by circonian View Post
Oh, woops sorry. Apparently I did not check or must have missed some game code changes on that. ChatIt multiple windows is not working properly either. Although it does properly destroy the phantom window for me when I reload the ui. I'll have a look at it.

THank you, i cross all my fingers arghhhhh ouchh well not all
08/31/15, 08:51 PM   #15
Anceane

I can create multiple ghost windows

While trying to find a solution to my problem, i could create numerous ghost windows.

Steps :
Addon : ChatMultiWindow - X4D Chat

unlock the chats window, and try to select a tab to move it and detach it

This error will pop up

Code:
2015-08-31T22:53:51.536-05:00 |cff0000Lua Error: EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:730: operator # is not supported for # nil
stack traceback:
	EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:730: in function 'SharedChatContainer:PerformLayout'
	EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/PC/ChatSystem.lua:32: in function 'ChatContainer:PerformLayout'
	EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:640: in function '(anonymous)'|r
and a little window without tab is created and pushed up in the upper left side.

So now i have two stack of ghost windows until i do a reload ui, then i will have only 1 left.

-----
I did the test with those two addons as my game crash when i try to test with Chatit and Pchat, probably because of this ghost windows
08/31/15, 08:58 PM   #16
circonian
Originally Posted by Anceane View Post
THank you, i cross all my fingers arghhhhh ouchh well not all
I have NOT managed to get the multiple chat windows working, but I've finally been able to reproduce the problem you were explaining where I got the windows stuck & ChatIt would not remove them. The problem looks like the container was created server side, but its not getting created on the client so ChatIt can't destroy it in the normal way.

Last edited by circonian : 08/31/15 at 09:15 PM.
08/31/15, 09:11 PM   #17
circonian
I uploaded a new version of ChatIt that turns off the Multiple Chat window feature, so no one else has this problem until I can find a way to get the multiple chat windows working again and I added some code that should automatically fix the problem for you.
ChatIt Version 3.6
  1. Install the new version of ChatIt version 3.6
  2. Reload the ui by typing /reloadui in the chat window (you will still see the errors)
  3. Then reload the ui again and the errors should stop.

Last edited by circonian : 08/31/15 at 09:14 PM.
08/31/15, 09:26 PM   #18
Anceane

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thank you!!!!!!

You can not imagine how relieved i am!

After more than 9 hours to try to find a solution, with a lot of help from everyone on ESOUI!!

Guys you rock!!

Each of my characters are clean and playable, no more error messages.

------------------
Can i say to ZOS you find a temporary fix for this as unfortunatly i am not the only one with the problem ?

and/or can i send them to this post to use your solution or you prefer not ?

I will not do anything without your agreement
08/31/15, 09:53 PM   #19
circonian
Your welcome, I'm glad it worked for you.
Yes you can tell them if you like. If your sending it to ZOS it might be easier to just tell them to refer to this post, I'll type up an explanation so they can track it down easier...if they want to, they may not since its not really a finished/enabled feature. Addons just turn it on even though its unfinished, and finish the code ourselves.

The error was caused by addons turning on the
Lua Code:
  1. CHAT_SYSTEM:SetAllowMultipleContainers(true)
IN THE PREVIOUS GAME VERSION, when the addons still worked, they were creating multiple chat containers which are saved on the server side. But with the code changes in the new update the chat containers are not getting created properly client side. I tracked the error preventing the containers from being created as far as:

Lua Code:
  1. function SharedChatSystem:InitializeSharedControlManagement(control, newContainerFn)
  2.  ... other code...
  3.     local function CreateContainer(objectPool)
  4.         local containerControl = ZO_ObjectPool_CreateControl("ZO_ChatContainerTemplate", objectPool, GuiRoot)
  5.       -- Error occurs here:
  6.         return newContainerFn(self, containerControl, self.windowPool, self.tabPool)
  7.     end
  8.   ... other code...
  9. end
in the chatSystem/sharedchatsystem.lua code file
At that point I had enough info to fix it and stopped tracking it for now, so that's all I know. That line returns an error so the container did not get created properly client side.

But the chat windows were created before the update & saved on the server side, so they still exist server side. This is why even reinstalling did not help you, because those pesky chat windows are saved on the server!!! So they just keep coming back.

Because the chat containers are not being created client side the old, typical, code for removing/fixing damaged chat containers does not work, things like:
Warning: Spoiler

Those typical ways of removing damaged containers will not work because the container itself does not exist client side, it never got created, but it exists on the server side.

So the fix was to remove them a different way from the server side by using:
Lua Code:
  1. local function OnPlayerActivated()
  2.     local numContainers = GetNumChatContainers()
  3.     for i = numContainers, 2, -1 do
  4.         RemoveChatContainer(i)
  5.     end
  6. end
  7. EVENT_MANAGER:RegisterForEvent(ChatIt.name, EVENT_PLAYER_ACTIVATED, OnPlayerActivated)
which counts down from the total number of chat containers and Removes them. It stops at 1 though and does not remove containerID 1, because that is the primary/main chat container.

OH P.S. If ZOS wants a way to simulate this problem just call this:
Lua Code:
  1. AddChatContainer()
and it will reproduce the problem. You don't even need to turn on
Lua Code:
  1. CHAT_SYSTEM:SetAllowMultipleContainers(true)

Last edited by circonian : 08/31/15 at 10:19 PM.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » CHAT ERROR SPAM - help please