07/17/17, 12:07 PM   #1
Zagadka
[Req] Contrast for mission circles on map

I'm a bit colorblind to red/brown/green shades, so when there is a quest area designated on the minimap as a circle, I usually can't see it at all. Would there be an easy way to add a highlight or drop shadow or something to increase contrast?
06/14/22, 08:29 AM   #2
NeuroticPixels
Addon Addict

Premium Member
Quest map circles need color options!

I went through the sticky post about addon requests and wasn’t sure about “necroing” super old requests. So here I am.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.co...-quest-circles

I would also like to request an addon that allows us to adjust the color (and more?) of the map quest circles.

Yes, I’m aware selecting a quest from the list on the right while looking at the map will ping the quest locations. I’m also aware of using “show on map” from the quest journal.
And I use those…. A LOT!!
But it would be nice to easily see at a glance where quests are on the zone map. Maybe red circles for currently selected quests, and dim pinkish-purple for others. Anything that makes the quest circles POP and stand out.

Thanks for reading!
06/14/22, 09:53 AM   #3
Valve

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This sounds like a cool thing to have

I think it should be case of just redirecting the following textures to modified versions that have different colours:
/esoui/art/mappins/map_areapin.dds
/esoui/art/mappins/map_areapin_32.dds
/esoui/art/mappins/map_assistedareapin.dds
/esoui/art/mappins/map_assistedareapin_32.dds

I'll take a look after work
06/14/22, 10:15 AM   #4
Masteroshi430

Originally Posted by Valve View Post
This sounds like a cool thing to have

I think it should be case of just redirecting the following textures to modified versions that have different colours:

I'll take a look after work
Yes that's exactly what I did in the minimap patch linked above.
You are free to make a new addon with that idea to help colorblind or old eyed people like me
06/14/22, 10:27 AM   #5
Valve

Originally Posted by Masteroshi430 View Post
Yes that's exactly what I did in the minimap patch linked above.
You are free to make a new addon with that idea to help colorblind or old eyed people like me
Oh, now I feel stupid for not checking!

Here I was searching the texture list online to find the names!
06/14/22, 10:38 AM   #6
Masteroshi430

IMO I think it's better to leave

alone and only modify

which are the ones for the focused quest.

This would avoid confusion I think, but it's only my two cents.
06/14/22, 10:46 AM   #7
NeuroticPixels
Addon Addict

Premium Member
Woot!!! I'm excited!
06/14/22, 11:00 AM   #8
Valve

Originally Posted by Masteroshi430 View Post
IMO I think it's better to leave

alone and only modify

which are the ones for the focused quest.

This would avoid confusion I think, but it's only my two cents.
I was going to add the option to use separate colours for each

There would always be the option to use the default texture as well instead of changing

I didn't specifically check the forward camp radius, but I imagine it uses the "map_areapin" one

I was going to name it Colourful Pin Areas or something so it's not specifically tied to the quest areas

I currently have this hot mess in DDS form:

I'm thinking of just adding a drop down in LibAddonMenu to change the focused area and unfocused area for all those colours above

Last edited by Valve : 06/14/22 at 11:05 AM.
06/14/22, 11:41 AM   #9
NeuroticPixels
Addon Addict

Premium Member
Sounds fantastic so far.
06/14/22, 12:13 PM   #10
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I'm thinking of just adding a drop down in LibAddonMenu to change the focused area and unfocused area for all those colours above
Just in case you did not know: LibAddonMenu also provides an IconPicker dropdown for textures. Bu if your dds files are all 1 texture and you will work wih texture coordinates within that big file it might not work properly with that LAM control
06/14/22, 01:41 PM   #11
Valve

Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Just in case you did not know: LibAddonMenu also provides an IconPicker dropdown for textures. Bu if your dds files are all 1 texture and you will work wih texture coordinates within that big file it might not work properly with that LAM control
Thanks, I wasn't aware of this!

Okay, so I did a lot of debugging as it seemed RedirectTexture wasn't working

I found that there are actually global tables with RGBA values available to change that I guess could have sliders or a colour picker for in a LibAddonMenu?

ZO_MAP_PIN_ASSISTED_COLOR
ZO_MAP_PIN_NORMAL_COLOR
ZO_MAP_PIN_DIG_SITE_COLOR
ZO_MAP_PIN_TRACKED_DIG_SITE_COLOR
ZO_MAP_PIN_DIG_SITE_BORDER_COLOR

Updating these will update the colours of these area pins on the map

I wonder if the textures for the quests are legacy now and if so, I kind of created a bunch of varied colours of that texture for no reason!

It does mean we could do something like this for the antiquity dig zones though:

Last edited by Valve : 06/14/22 at 01:45 PM.
06/14/22, 02:32 PM   #12
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
RedirectTexture normally works fine (and Masteroshi also said he exactly uses this at his linked Minimap patch?) BUT you cannot change the same texture more than once without logging off (it often simply shows the cached one then!), so often you need to close the client and delete the file live/shader_cache.cooked as it caches texture files.

Next login will take a bit longer due to the new build caches. But redirecttexture should work for the next changed textures properly again then. Sometimes changing from textureA to textureB and back to textureA also works, but trying a new textureC doesn't without that shader_cache.cooked delete.

Last edited by Baertram : 06/14/22 at 02:36 PM.
06/14/22, 02:44 PM   #13
Valve

RedirectTexture normally works fine (and Masteroshi also said he exactly uses this at his linked Minimap patch?) BUT you cannot change the same texture more than once without logging off (it often simply shows the cached one then!), so often you need to close the client and delete the file live/shader_cache.cooked as it caches texture files.

Next login will take a bit longer due to the new build caches. But redirecttexture should work for the next changed textures properly again then. Sometimes changing from textureA to textureB and back to textureA also works, but trying a new textureC doesn't without that shader_cache.cooked delete.
Yeah, I'm not sure about this because I deleted the shade cache after closing the game and loaded back in.

Maybe I was doing something wrong but I was able to use RedirectTexture on other textures without issue

I've currently got it working with a colour picker in LAM2 and editing the colour values on those globals:

This does give more freedom since it can be any colour the user chooses. However, I didn't really want to edit the global table properties because I don't know if/how this will change in the future

I think it should be okay though, it's not as crazy as overriding a function so...

Edit:

I wanted to add that I did add the textures to a guild note and then did the RedirectTexture. They were redirected as expected but the area pin on the map was unaffected. So it either means the map uses a different texture (I wasn't able to find anything when I searched) or the area is built up in a different way

Last edited by Valve : 06/14/22 at 03:08 PM.
06/14/22, 02:55 PM   #14
Valve

I've uploaded a copy of it here (not yet published)

I think it should be okay as is

I'm unsure on the name

Might also change all British (yep, I'm British) spelling of colour to the American color so it's consistent with the base game

Edit: Removed attachment (uploaded to https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info...sDigSites.html)

Last edited by Valve : 06/15/22 at 05:54 PM.
06/14/22, 03:09 PM   #15
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
This looks nice, does it work for the "currently selected quest marker" on the map too?

About the name, maybe: CustomMapHighlight or something similar. You never know if it will only be the "colors" or if you add more?
06/14/22, 03:22 PM   #16
Valve

From the previously linked post on the forums, there was a link to:
https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info...stMarkers.html

I think it'd be better to link to that addon from the Minion page (when uploaded) so they could be used together if a person wants, as that addon looks to handle quest markers better than I could implement here

I'd like to keep this one more simple to the actual area pins for now as I'm not sure how they'll update it in the future. Not really sure what else I could add for this currently

I'll just have to try make sure I keep this up to date with any changes ZOS makes going forward

I'll probably get it uploaded so it's on Minion tomorrow and I'll redo the translations and name (the strings were changed from hard-coded very last minute )

I'll definitely add translations for French, German, and Russian (hopefully Spanish translations later) as I have people I can ask for them (but that will definitely come later!)

Last edited by Valve : 06/14/22 at 03:53 PM.
06/14/22, 05:55 PM   #17
NeuroticPixels
Addon Addict

Premium Member
I'm excited for it to be posted on ESOUI! I can't wait to try it!!!
06/14/22, 11:12 PM   #18
YunaWolf

Ohh, this is great

Last edited by YunaWolf : 06/15/22 at 10:11 AM.
06/15/22, 02:14 AM   #19
Masteroshi430

Is there a way to cancel a RedirectTexture other than redirect the texture back to the original path?
06/15/22, 05:55 AM   #20
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
No, there isn't afaik.
And as described it often even does not do that "change back to original" without a close of the client and/or shader cache deletion

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » [Req] Contrast for mission circles on map