06/30/18, 09:20 PM   #1
hawkeye1889
IDE Recommendations?

I'm looking for an IDE that supports auto completion for eso api that is up to date ie 100023 any suggestions?

Thanks
07/01/18, 03:45 AM   #2
wookiefriseur

See www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1820 and http://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776 .

One thread is IntelliJ with a generated API file for autocompletion. The other one is a custom plugin for a LUA-Editor.
07/01/18, 04:43 AM   #3
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'm using IntelliJ and try to keep the api files up 2 date. Takes some time, but you are able to check most files also within the wiki or esoui only code at github.
07/12/18, 01:29 AM   #4
wookiefriseur

There is also something for Eclipse LDT now: http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info2...ocomplete.html
11/04/18, 09:30 AM   #5
cloudor

And I have done some hack work on LDT to support more features,
https://cdn.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7924

I will release the patches after I have made my addons up to date.
11/30/18, 09:47 AM   #6
raycrios
VSCode is the best free IDE supporting many languages, including Lua and is VERY fast.

11/30/18, 01:24 PM   #7
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Does VSCode support any auto-completion markups/files so one can add support for the Elder Scrolls Online API?
11/30/18, 01:40 PM   #8
sirinsidiator

Not directly, but one can write a plugin to extend the Lua language server which provides the autocompletion underneath. I looked into it a while ago, but felt that it is too early to switch over from eclipse, since VScode is rather unstable (api-wise) and changes a lot between its monthly releases and it also doesn't yet support all the features I'd like it to have. Maybe I'll give it another look next year.
12/01/18, 03:16 AM   #9
raycrios
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Does VSCode support any auto-completion markups/files so one can add support for the Elder Scrolls Online API?
Yes, it actually does.
12/01/18, 03:18 AM   #10
raycrios
Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
Not directly, but one can write a plugin to extend the Lua language server which provides the autocompletion underneath. I looked into it a while ago, but felt that it is too early to switch over from eclipse, since VScode is rather unstable (api-wise) and changes a lot between its monthly releases and it also doesn't yet support all the features I'd like it to have. Maybe I'll give it another look next year.
Which exactly features are missing in VSCode?
12/01/18, 07:01 AM   #11
sirinsidiator

Originally Posted by raycrios View Post
Which exactly features are missing in VSCode?
There are too many to count. Some small, some big. For example proper window handling for multiple monitors (Right now when I drag a tab to a second monitor, it will copy that file to desktop. I would expect it to open a new window for it in that case). Or the lack of a way to show all TODOs and issues in the workspace. Or a simple way to set all the default keybinds to use eclipse shortcuts (other IDEs like android studio can do that via a dropdown).
I could probably write plugins to take care of most of these issues, but with the way they churn out updates every month, I feel it would be a waste of time right now, since it could become obsolete quite quickly.
12/01/18, 11:20 AM   #12
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
I use VS Code for most things but I do agree proper multi-monitor support is needed. They did add window pinning inside the VS Code frame and that's ok if you just have 1 large monitor but doesnt help multi-monitor setups.

They should drop the Visual Studio name from it because most people don't use it for VS.

* There are few TODO plugins that probably do what you want, I also see a eclipse keymap plugin too.

Last edited by Dolby : 12/01/18 at 11:27 AM.
12/01/18, 07:45 PM   #13
Drakanwulf

Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
I use VS Code for most things but I do agree proper multi-monitor support is needed. They did add window pinning inside the VS Code frame and that's ok if you just have 1 large monitor but doesnt help multi-monitor setups.

They should drop the Visual Studio name from it because most people don't use it for VS.

* There are few TODO plugins that probably do what you want, I also see a eclipse keymap plugin too.
And what might be worse, some people may think that VS Code is a Microsoft Product...
12/02/18, 04:00 AM   #14
sirinsidiator

Originally Posted by Drakanwulf View Post
And what might be worse, some people may think that VS Code is a Microsoft Product...
It actually is
12/05/18, 01:43 PM   #15
Architecture

VS Code definitely is from Microsoft. It was not intended to replace Visual Studio entirely, but it is akin to Atom or Sublime with some extra IDE bells and whistles via its plugin / extension repository while keeping it lightweight.

Fun fact, you can also technically run the editor for VS Code in a web browser (see Monaco Editor on MS GitHub) -- the desktop client is basically using Electron shell (or similar) iirc? FWIW...
06/06/19, 02:52 AM   #16
LaRIC
Premium Member
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
I'm using IntelliJ and try to keep the api files up 2 date. Takes some time, but you are able to check most files also within the wiki or esoui only code at github.
Any chance you can describe on how to set that up? Never used IntelliJ but definitely want a setup with the API as code completion.
06/06/19, 12:42 PM   #17
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Actually the IntelliJ 2019 version do not support the lua plug in of silvanar anymore the auto completion and lookup lua files for the eso API bug a lot atm.

I can see if I find an explanation in my txt documents but it'll take some time. I think I did it manually with regex and notepad++ until someone wrote a parse script php based for it.
I can upload both of they are not already in the forums, in the next weeks.

Check this thread for some info about how to setup IntelliJ. The provided api files there are old but still work (at least most do with Emmylua plug in).
https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthr...p?t=776&page=3

Last edited by Baertram : 06/06/19 at 12:45 PM.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Dev Tools » IDE Recommendations?