05/03/14, 10:14 AM   #1
Dappa
Please help a total noob with creating a very simple addon!

Hi guys, never done any kind of programming before (most I've done is shader work in UDK), I'm really keen on putting a very simple addon to basically enable Modifier Keybinding (which is a feature that a LOT of people have been asking for but nobody has made it yet!)

Basically, for me anyway, I'd like to change my skillbar binds from 1,2,3,4,5 - to SHIFT + Q,E,R,F,G

For me I find QERFG much easier to press than 12345, but since QEF e.t.c are bound to quite important in-game functions (also I like having E as interact e.t.c), it makes sense to use the shift modifiers.

An addon that simply allows players to use modifier keybindings would be great but I feel that would be harder for me to make than simply changing the keybinds in the binding.xml (we're getting to the point where I don't really know what I'm talking about, so you'll have to excuse me).

I reverse-engineered someone elses addon to create my own addon (as I had literally 0 idea how to do it), I managed to get it to load in-game with the .txt file, but the code I put in the .xml was clearly incorrect (I'm at the point now where I simply don't know what code for it is)

<Bindings>
<Layer name="General">
<Category name="Combat">
<Action name="Ability_1">
<Down>KEY_Q mod1</Down>
</Action>
</Category>
</Layer>
</Bindings>

I also tried KEY_SHIFT, KEY_Q, neither of them worked, I was wondering if any of you guys could give me any help or direction on how I could get this mod to work? even if you want to create it yourself and take all of the credit, a really simple mod would be hugely popular if the people who needed it knew about it!

Thanks a lot.
05/03/14, 10:15 AM   #2
Dappa
http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrolls..._keybinds_but/

Here is a Reddit thread where someone posted the "idea" of enabling the support, but from the looks of it nobody has taken up the idea :/

Here are threads post where people have been asking for the addon:

http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrolls...keybind_shift/
http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrolls..._for_keybinds/
http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com...tion-key-binds
http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/prob...-key-bindings/

These are just a few of the first google results, but as you can see it's definitely something the people want!

Last edited by Dappa : 05/03/14 at 10:17 AM.
05/03/14, 07:29 PM   #3
mra4nii
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Such idea is being implemented until now for a reason.
CTRL key already have a bind(sneak), so you can't use it for combinations
ALT key also have a keybind(last action, exit from menu)
the only remained is SHIFT, which, possible, can be used. There is a function IsShiftKeyDown. So, technical, it can be used to emulate some combinations.

In my opinion the direction you took with binding in xml is dead end. Take a look to function i've mentioned above.
05/05/14, 06:13 AM   #4
LilBudyWizer
That's not how a binding works. Down is what to do when the key is pressed, i.e. what function to execute, and not what key is bound. Think about it, DOWN what? The key assigned. You don't need an addon because the game provides an interface to do exactly what you're describing. Just go into controls and set the key binding to whatever you like. You only need a key binding in an addon if you want to bind a key to an action not already there, like the window for your addon. You've made this far more complicated than it actually is. You can use the modifier keys when do the assignment.
05/05/14, 07:20 AM   #5
Gėd
Originally Posted by mra4nii View Post
Such idea is being implemented until now for a reason.
CTRL key already have a bind(sneak), so you can't use it for combinations
ALT key also have a keybind(last action, exit from menu)
the only remained is SHIFT, which, possible, can be used. There is a function IsShiftKeyDown. So, technical, it can be used to emulate some combinations.

In my opinion the direction you took with binding in xml is dead end. Take a look to function i've mentioned above.
This is way off.

Ideally the program could be modified to allow any of the keyboard's inputs to be overridden -- or at least expanded internally to handle an additional "modifier" token in addition to "value" definitions on the keys -- so you could force the Keybinding menu to recognize alt+[key] as a valid keybinding anywhere in the interface. Right now, alt, shift, etc are defined as tokens just like any other key - there is no "modifier" option to speak of. [WHY? SERIOUSLY... WHY??? grrrr]

So the fact that those keys are part of the default beindings... is completely irrelevant.

What surprises me most is that ESO doesn't seem to be set up to recognize even basic mouse+ keys, like the mouse4 and mouse5 buttons on my Razer Adder. This has been pretty basic functionality for a looong time on most programs now.

Bonus forum love for the man who can re-create Clique: allowing me to cast spells by modifier+key clicking onto party frames, like War's. In fact, bonus forum SEX (!) if this can be implemented.

Last edited by Gėd : 05/05/14 at 07:21 AM. Reason: as*
05/05/14, 09:18 AM   #6
mra4nii
Originally Posted by Gėd View Post
Right now, alt, shift, etc are defined as tokens just like any other key - there is no "modifier" option to speak of. [WHY? SERIOUSLY... WHY??? grrrr]

So the fact that those keys are part of the default beindings... is completely irrelevant.
You didn't play Skyrim or any another Elder Scrolls games, isn't?
They use same keybinding. Thats why there are 2 groups of people. MMO guys who ask for combine key, and those who came from Skyrim and they are ok with default keybinding. But they have another aspects to complain.

Zenimax tried to satisfy both groups. Well, i think they made it in most part. I'm not fan of MMO at all, but i like ESO so far.

PS. sorry for offtop
05/05/14, 05:15 PM   #7
LilBudyWizer
Oh, I missed that, it's single key bindings. You still can't do that in an addon. BindKeyToAction() is protected so you can't change assignments from an addon. ActionButtonUp/Down actually execute the function which isn't protected, but they call OnSlotUp/Down which are private so they might as well be private too since you can't call them.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Please help a total noob with creating a very simple addon!