07/28/14, 01:08 PM   #1
unLeashed3k
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Compass Events

Is there such a thing as compass events?

I've been desperately attempting to figure out a way to access the compass pins (quests, POI, anything and all) when they appear on the compass but I can not find an event to even begin writing my AddOn. Currently, the only thing I want to do is when a Pin becomes visible on the Compass I want to grab what the pin is (pinType perhaps?) and write it (the name) to the chat panel.

I thought this would be extremely simple being it would fire once (event?) but now several days in I'm just spinning in circles trying to put the puzzle together.

Is there any documentation on COMPASS.container or ZO_WorldMap_IsPinGroupShown? Or better yet is there an event fired when a pin shows on the compass?
07/28/14, 01:45 PM   #2
Fyrakin

Originally Posted by unLeashed3k View Post

I've been desperately attempting to figure out a way to access the compass pins (quests, POI, anything and all) when they appear on the compass but I can not find an event to even begin writing my AddOn. Currently, the only thing I want to do is when a Pin becomes visible on the Compass I want to grab what the pin is (pinType perhaps?) and write it (the name) to the chat panel.

I thought this would be extremely simple being it would fire once (event?) but now several days in I'm just spinning in circles trying to put the puzzle together.

Is there any documentation on COMPASS.container or ZO_WorldMap_IsPinGroupShown? Or better yet is there an event fired when a pin shows on the compass?
Compass usually not all that big, you can query ZO_CompassContainer for children controlls (Compass Pins) and see if it changes.
07/28/14, 01:48 PM   #3
unLeashed3k
Would you be kind enough to show me in simple code sample?

Do I make an <OnUpdate> function and poll the GUI for what's actively displayed?
07/28/14, 01:54 PM   #4
Fyrakin

Would you be kind enough to show me in simple code sample?

Do I make an <OnUpdate> function and poll the GUI for what's actively displayed?
Best practice would be to make a function to check ZO_CompassContainer
and call that function via registration

EVENT_MANAGER:RegisterForUpdate("OnUpdateSomethingYouMade", [number in miliseconds how often to call your function], [your function name])
07/28/14, 01:50 PM   #5
Garkin

There is no such event...

I was playing around with compass in my test addon Compass Distance (http://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9208).

I don't know if it is the best way, but have hooked OnUpdate function:
Lua Code:
  1. ZO_PreHookHandler(COMPASS.container, "OnUpdate",
  2.    function()
  3.       --do stuff
  4.    end)
And from there I'm calling:
Lua Code:
  1. for i = 1, COMPASS.container:GetNumCenterOveredPins() do
  2.    local description, pinType, distance, drawLayer, drawLevel, isSupressed = COMPASS.container:GetCenterOveredPinInfo(i)
  3.       if not isSupressed then
  4.          --do stuff
  5.       end
  6.    end
  7. end
07/28/14, 01:56 PM   #6
Fyrakin

Originally Posted by Garkin View Post
There is no such event...

I was playing around with compass in my test addon Compass Distance (http://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9208).

I don't know if it is the best way, but have hooked OnUpdate function:
Lua Code:
  1. ZO_PreHookHandler(COMPASS.container, "OnUpdate",
  2.    function()
  3.       --do stuff
  4.    end)
And from there I'm calling:
Lua Code:
  1. for i = 1, COMPASS.container:GetNumCenterOveredPins() do
  2.    local description, pinType, distance, drawLayer, drawLevel, isSupressed = COMPASS.container:GetCenterOveredPinInfo(i)
  3.       if not isSupressed then
  4.          --do stuff
  5.       end
  6.    end
  7. end
That would also work. Just don't forget to return false or compass will not update.
07/28/14, 01:57 PM   #7
Garkin

Originally Posted by Fyrakin View Post
That would also work. Just don't forget to return false or compass will not update.
You don't need to return anything, no return value (nil) works the same as if you return false.

Last edited by Garkin : 07/28/14 at 02:08 PM.
07/28/14, 02:09 PM   #8
unLeashed3k
Hopefully I'll figure this out and I appreciate the help.

My final goal, which is incredible simple (not for me apparently ~laughs~), is to output text to a message box <Label> that a "Quest Giver is near," thus why I am looking to find all compass pins then somehow distinguish between MAP_PIN_TYPE_QUEST_OFFER and all_the_rest.

Again, thank you for a starting point and I hope I'll get it some day. =)
07/28/14, 02:35 PM   #9
unLeashed3k
Lua Code:
  1. YYZ = {}
  3. YYZ.ModName = "ESOunLeashed"
  7. function YYZ.doIt()
  8.     local str = ZO_CompassContainer
  9.     d(string.format("%s", str))
  10. end
  13. function YYZ.OnAddOnLoaded(event, str)
  14.     if str == YYZ.ModName then
  15.         EVENT_MANAGER:RegisterForUpdate(YYZ.ModName, 1000, YYZ.doIt)
  16.     end
  17. end
  20. EVENT_MANAGER:RegisterForEvent(YYZ.ModName, EVENT_ADD_ON_LOADED, YYZ.OnAddOnLoaded)

What does ZO_CompassContainer return? My error is something about userdata.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Compass Events