03/04/18, 08:34 PM   #1
ArtOfShred

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
[outdated] Add IsIn40YardRange boolean to EVENT_COMBAT_EVENT & EVENT_EFFECT_CHANGED

I'm curious if it would possible to implement some kind of IsIn40YardRange boolean to both:
EVENT_EFFECT_CHANGED
EVENT_COMBAT_EVENT

I think there might have been a reason given for not having exact range tracking for events in the worldspace around us before - but I'm wondering if it might be fair enough to skirt around this a little bit and give us a "Is this nearby enough to be relevant to us" checker. Then we can filter out events further away that might be irrelevant. This could add some efficiency to various addon functions if we could register this as a Filter for handlers for these events.

The specific reason I'm interested in for this is for a component I'm developing in LUI:
It's effectively a more advanced version of the Block/Dodge/Interrupt alert tips sent by the default UI - that uses combat events to the get the ability name, icon, source, etc and display information.

But for NPC abilities where the cast doesn't actually target the player I have to check for EVENT_COMBAT_EVENT or EVENT_EFFECT_CHANGED happening to display alerts for those. The problem with that is the player will get notifications for mobs a significant distance away and completely irrelevant to them.

Last edited by ArtOfShred : 03/04/18 at 08:37 PM.

03/05/18, 05:57 AM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
As long as this would only apply to npcs and not to players (in AVA region, battlegrounds and/or duels)!

03/06/18, 05:29 PM   #3
ArtOfShred

Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
As long as this would only apply to npcs and not to players (in AVA region, battlegrounds and/or duels)!
Don't think it would matter since we don't get begin events for players in AvA/bgs now.

03/06/18, 05:57 PM   #4
Ayantir

why 40? why not 36.4394585, or 8, or 2 ?

03/06/18, 06:14 PM   #5
Rhyono
Originally Posted by Ayantir View Post
why not 36.4394585?
Eh, that'd be a pretty long function name.

03/07/18, 12:35 AM   #6
Letho
In how far would EVENT_EFFECT_CHANGED profit from that? I mean it is only fired if the player has already been debuffed, so the target would be in range and thus be relevant anyway.

03/07/18, 02:36 AM   #7
Scootworks

Originally Posted by Ayantir View Post
why 40? why not 36.4394585, or 8, or 2 ?
no, the question is why not 47.0254yards, because that would be 28m (max range) + 15m (ava passive) = 43m

03/07/18, 06:10 AM   #8
sirinsidiator

Why not just an "isAimedAtPlayer" boolean then?
But for real. Isn't that just what they got rid of in that pvp addon? Why would you want something into that direction again?
Aside from that I feel the players should look at the world and telegraphs on the ground when an attack is incoming during fights and think and react on their own - not look at some popup notifications from an addon. It's part of the game to have to learn how to react to enemies. Reducing that to a reading lesson via an addon is wrong IMO. Combat addons should just stay on the sidelines and offer information that cannot be seen from the world (e.g. damage numbers and buff times). They shouldn't tell the player what to do. The game is already easy enough as is.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Wish List » [outdated] Add IsIn40YardRange boolean to EVENT_COMBAT_EVENT & EVENT_EFFECT_CHANGED