01/16/16, 06:21 PM   #1
haggen

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Duplicated effects

I noticed that on the Active Effects panel (in the character window) it shows what looks like duplicates but sometimes with different durations.

For instance, if you cast Rapid Maneuver two effects will appear with same duration.

But if I cast Brawler (from two-hand skill line) it shows two effects with same name and icon but different durations (one with the actual 8 seconds it says in the tooltip and one with 4 seconds).

Pardon my french but what the **** is going on?

I looked into it using the event EVENT_EFFECT_CHANGED and sure enough it triggered 2 effects gained looking almost exactly the same while casting Brawler (besides duration, abilityType and abilityId were also different).

Could someone enlighten me about why's that? Thanks!

Last edited by haggen : 01/16/16 at 06:24 PM.
01/16/16, 07:15 PM   #2
sirinsidiator

Icons are not an indicator to see if they are different abilities. The only thing that counts is the abilityId. If that is different, they apply different effects.
Rapid Maneuver shows two icons because there are two different abilities at work. My guess is, one effect carries the speed buff and the other the snare immunity.
Skills that have effects with different durations are split like that for simplicities sake. Why have an internal separation for the effect durations with additional code if you can just put 2 effects with different lengths on the player?
01/16/16, 07:47 PM   #3
haggen

Yea I know that the name is just a string and the real ability is tied to the abilityId, and now I see why they would do that, still the UI should have solved that. If it isn't described in the tooltip it should display only one effect.

Like Brawler, as per my example, only mentions one single effect (the shield).

Even if it's easier to just show 2 (or more) icons for the various effects of the same skill/spell it should be noted in the tooltip what each effect is actually doing.

Back to the Brawler example, I can see one effect is of the DAMAGESHIELD type, but the other is just BONUS. I know that they refer to different buff effects because I debugged the code, but I still don't know what they actually do. And as a player I could only say that it's bugged since all I can see is two effects with the same name, same icon and same tooltip.

Also, thank you for your time.
01/17/16, 06:49 AM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Maybe the bonus is the "extended damage shield buff for additional enemies afftected by the brawler hit" somehow?
If I remmeber right there is some kind of tooltip info telling you, the more enemies you hit, the longer the damage shield will stay?

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Duplicated effects