02/17/14, 08:01 AM   #1
Moonraker
Premium Member

Premium Member
Comment Text Limit Too Small

EDIT: Not sure exactly what the situation/ issue is. I can paste in large pastes of text than the 255 and also type. But having some real problems trying to enter text and formatting is not working. So it may be causing the shorter posts. Or just issues with comments in general. I'll try some more.

Currently when posting a comment there appears to be a hard limit of around 255 characters.

Just looking at some initial comments it seems clear that this is too restrictive (posts disjointed at the end);

1. There is no notice on the Comment page to indicate any such limit which may frustrate potential commentators, especially for the first time posters.

2. It will really limit those wanting to quote, link or go into any length for theorycrafting for instance (which is encouraged in the Help section)

3. More likely to encourage TXT speech in posts which won't help the quality of comments.

Not sure if this is a design feature, just for a limited period etc. I can see the need to limit rambling posts or to help site performance but the current limit is too restrictive.

I think a similar limit/ approach as there is on Wowhead works really well an proven over time.

A new comment has a substantially larger word limit up to 22500 characters. Replies then have a limit of 600 characters which seems about right for initial comment then responses. Many comments are shorter in any event.

Not sure how others think?

Last edited by Moonraker : 02/17/14 at 09:23 AM.

02/17/14, 08:06 AM   #2
Jeancey
Not that I disagree, quite the opposite in fact, but I was just curious, is this for ESOHead, or for the forums here? And if it is for ESOHead proper, what are you commenting on already that requires more than 255 characters?

02/17/14, 08:14 AM   #3
Moonraker
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Jeancey View Post
Not that I disagree, quite the opposite in fact, but I was just curious, is this for ESOHead, or for the forums here? And if it is for ESOHead proper, what are you commenting on already that requires more than 255 characters?
For Esohead as this is the section for it as I understand (ESOHead help, bugs, suggestions/questions)

It's not so much what I am commenting on, though I will be. But just from reading those already posted some at least look like the poster just ran out of words.

Take the example I gave, in the Commenting and You section says;

Theorycrafting – We encourage users to post any information they have regarding complex calculations they may have performed to, for example, prove one item has a higher DPS than another given certain abilities.
Not sure how anyone will be able to squeeze complex calculations into a 255 character limit.

Generally, concise posts are good but there are plenty of times when more depth adds to the dialogue, especially if you copy/ paste a quote from a source, for instance.

ESOUI » Site Forums » ESOHead help, bugs, suggestions/questions » Comment Text Limit Too Small