Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
02/24/16, 09:16 AM   #1
sirinsidiator

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The problem with major updates

There is always some discussions about the topic of API updates when the next major update draws closer and I think that's because there is no "good" way to handle them right now.
The reason for this is that on every new major update there are two ESO versions available at the same time. We have the PTS which holds the new version for several weeks before an update goes live and the delay between EU and NA updates.

We want to update our addons to work with the new version, but also keep the old version around or it will cause problems for our users, but they also tend to not look into what they download and then complain that it does not work when they inevitably end up with the wrong version.

This is mostly caused by the way how ESOUI and Minion work. There is no proper way to provide multiple versions of an addon where each version is compatible with a different versions of ESO in case something had to be changed. There should be an option to offer download buttons during the transition period to the new API, where one says "Update 8 - Orsinium" and the other "Update 9 - Thieves Guild". Minion also doesn't support multiple installations of ESO. It should detect when a user has PTS, NA and EU installed and also download the correct version for each instance automatically.

The games addon manifest file also only allows us to mark one API version as compatible. When we test the addon and it works with the new API with no changes required, it would be so much easier if we could just add the new version to the manifest and upload it. Compatibility is ensured and it works without any further actions required.

Once these things are in place, us authors won't have to bend over backwards to get our addons to work with every new version of the game.
If I forgot something or you don't/do agree with me, please feel free to point out my mistake/second my opinion.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » The problem with major updates